Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weld Up Your Own Big Stick

Someone PM'd me asking how I made a 62-round big stick magazine for my Colt-type PCC, so here are the step-by-step instructions.

I started with a couple of Uzi magazines; they are cheap and don't have the rear rib like the Colt mags (simpler to modify). I can live without last round hold open... if the mag is big enough, I should never reach the last round. To start with, I had a friend mill the mag catch slot in the top magazine and I squared off the bottom:

cYkNN2Q.jpg

Next, I cut off the top of the second magazine just below the side indentations:

L0UeN9R.jpg

RNAF0Dq.jpg

Before welding the two tubes together, I fabricated a backing block by beating on a piece of 1" copper pipe:

KMGRBqW.jpg

iJjX9Ir.jpg

kNI7lcX.jpg

Now for the worst welds you will ever see (fortunately Dremel sanding drums can hide a multitude of sins):

BVU2uA7.jpg

oeEUwDB.jpg

I cleaned up the inside of the tube with a couple of extra-long files from Harbor Freight.

Next, I needed to join the two standard springs together into one long spring. I calculated the spring length to get the same ratio of uncompressed spring length to tube length, cut top and bottom spring to preserve the floorplate and follower connections, and joined the two springs using a piece of brass tubing; I filled the tube with soft-solder flux, assembled it over the two spring ends, heated the tube and allowed lead-tin solder to flow in and fill the tube. The spring never gets hot enough to lose its temper, and the join is quite robust:

lCbnabi.jpg

BsaUu7N.jpg

KhyA5oq.jpg

Lastly, I ground down the back of the magazine between the feed lips so that it would accept my MagLULA Colt 9mm loader (loading these magazines with thumbs SUCKS):

aPsTVL1.jpg

This is what it looked like before I gave it a shot of OD Green KG GunKote:

RxTyPzT.jpg

And in my 10.5" 9mm SBR:

o6Bu6Eh.jpg

The FrankenMagazine Gods must be smiling on me because this magazine runs very reliably. To be safe, I squirt a generous amount of graphite powder into the tube while loading it (one puff for each 10 rounds), but this may be unnecessary.

Any questions, post 'em here. :devil:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Another trick that works well is to replace the springs with +power ones (one stock length and one with 6 coils clipped off) and leave the 2nd follower in place as well as the baseplate retainer. You lose 1 or 2 rounds but you don’t have to attach the springs which could come undone or loss temper and you can field repair with your short stick mags if you are away from home. With mine I get 51 (50) reloadable and it runs and runs and runs. 

6886D801-9ADA-4269-89CB-BF6BC39F193F.jpeg

Thanks! No filler. Square grove butt joint with argon purge. I used to be a tig welder for work, so that part wasn't an issue. I wish I did a tiny bit more purge pressure as the corners sunk in a tiny bit and needed some internal filing. For guts, I stuffed the 2 springs, 2 followers, and 2 base plates in it. I manually cycled it thru the gun it worked. I got 44 in before my fingers hurt.  I need the maglula thing. 

Taccom sells replacement springs for their 58-60 round extensions.  I purchased several of those and they can be cut down to whatever is needed.  I use one in my 33+33 splice mag and it works fine with ~65 and eliminates the need to solder together the springs.