Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for first chassis rifle?

Rudukai13

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-australian-precision-chassis-rifle/

Im finding myself more and more interested in purchasing a chassis precision rifle and was wondering if this Howa APC would be a good entry-level chassis bolt gun? I would almost certainly get one chambered in 308, for availability of factory ammo (I don't handload yet).

Anyone know anything about these? Would this be a good starter rifle for someone just looking to get introduced to long-range precision guns?

IMG_1509.PNG

Edited by Rudukai13

This would not be my first choice. The Luth-AR stock is a plus. Good adjustments and light weight. I like the grip. However, I can't say the chassis configuration looks promising for long range precision matches. The concern I would have is the forearm and mag release. You will be shooting through windows and off barricades quite often. Pushing up against the barricade looks like it might activate the mag release. Also the forearm is short and skinny giving way to an AR-15 type hand guard. Looks cool but I'm afraid it would not stabilize the gun well off of the props. The magazine itself looks to be and AISC type mag. There are other guns out there that will work with either an AISC or AR-10 mag. There is no muzzle brake. A 308 is not a beast when it comes to recoil but its no kitten. Put 200 rounds through it in a weekend and your shoulder will start to feel it. The barrel is threaded so you can add a brake, but it will be an extra expense. Bottom line is that this gun might serve you well for a short time but you will quickly tire of it and want something more. Keep looking. There are other choices available.

Thank you for all that great feedback! I'm not sure I'm looking for a rifle specifically for competition yet, more literally just as an introduction to longer range bolt actions in general, but I wouldn't mind having something that would lend itself well to competing as I get more comfortable behind the gun.

What other 308 chassis rifles would you suggest looking at for a beginner that would transition well to competition? Please keep in mind I'd rather not spend $3,000+ on something I'm just starting out with...

Alternatively to the APC, Howa also makes the HCR;

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-hcr-chassis-rifle/

Still built on a 1500 action, still the same stock and compatible with AR grips - but the magazine release is moved behind the magazine so it wouldn't accidentally get bumped while shooting against a barricade, and the forearm has different geometry (although admittedly I'm not sure what kind of forearm works best for shooting off props?).

It does appear to use the same magazines, AICS pattern - Are these not particularly reliable? Is there something inherently better about AR10 magazines for these types of rifles?

The HCR is available with either an unthreaded muzzle or threaded. I don't mind having to spend a bit more to pick out the particular muzzle brake that I prefer.

It's about the same cost as the APC as well which leaves it squarely within my budget with plenty left over for optic/bipod/other parts.

This all being said - Would this be a better option?

IMG_1511.PNG

Just for casual shooting, I think either one would do. However, IMHO, the HCR looks like a better fit if you ever want to compete. Before you buy either rifle, try the trigger. In long range shooting, nothing is more important that a good, clean, light trigger. Moving the mag release behind the mag is a big plus. Also the magazine is protected more by the chassis frame on this particular model. This allows you to push the rifle into a barricade to stabilize it without disturbing the magazine. PRS competition can be kind of rough and tumble. You will be supporting the rifle from car doors, boulders, trees, roofs, concrete pipe, etc., etc.  Hammering your mag against a barricade or prop will not have a desirable outcome. As for the AICS pattern magazines, they are fine. They are reliable but expensive and at times can be hard to find. I have four of them made by "Accurate Mag". They are aluminum, and coated with Teflon or something like it. They were around $75 each. Magpul makes an AISC compatible mag which is made of polymer and relatively cheap if you can find them. The polymer is slick and makes the action feel smoother when you cycle the bolt. It also doesn't scar the brass as the aluminum lips tend to do during feeding when the mag is fully loaded. I only mention it because there are rifles out there that will let you use either an AISC or a standard AR 10 308 mag. Standard AR-10 mags are plentiful and cheap. Also, if your rifle can use AR pattern mags, you can get the 20 round version and double your capacity. Not a big deal really, but there may be times when you have to shoot a course of fire that has more than 10 shots. If so, a high cap mag will save you a few seconds on a mag change. Whichever you choose, good luck with it and I hope to see you on the firing line.

Edited by 38superman

The KRG Bravo certainly looks interesting as well, but I much more prefer the "space gun" aesthetics of the HCR chassis as well as the compatibility with AR grips/stocks. And for less than $1k on Gunbroker, I think I'm pretty well decided on the HCR

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the Tikka,  they have the best factory action I believe and many other would agree. Never saw a non performing rifle leave the factory either.  Only problem is you have to use the stupid Tikka mags instead not aics mags :(

As for the HOwa APC,  the mag release up front is a straight up deal breaker to me. Reason being is you would be fighting it shooting on barriers for sure for starters. 

The HCR would do fine by the looks of it though and you can run aics mags like the rest of the world

Edited by forrest84

I just bought the tikka. You get two magazines in the box and a rebate is going on for a third. That’s thirty rounds loaded up at any time. I don’t think I’ll ever use that many at one time. 

Very impressed with how smooth the action is and crisp the trigger is. I’ve got access to a ruger to compare as well just haven’t had a chance yet 

• 6 months later...

Another Tikka - just got a new Tikka T3X Tac A1.

Superb accuracy, best factory rifle so far. 5 shot sub HALF minute group (shots 6-10 of first 10 rounds fired) at 100y. Using handloads (H4350 & 140 ELD)

???

• 4 weeks later...