Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPP Optic coming loose ? Solutions??

Blue Jacket

I have a SP-01 milled with a CZ multi-cut and a DPP.  Keep having issues with the DPP coming lose after a 200 rounds.  Blue loctite doesn't seem to want to hold it, I've increased the torq to 30 lbs and am not sure I should go above that.  .  

I hate to use red loctite but I am getting ready to consider it.  Anyone any thoughts or this issue, if so how did you fix it?

Thanks

Assuming the slide has been milled correctly and the locating pins are not too high, it sound like you are not using the Blue Loctite correctly.  Initially, I had the same problem.  If you clean out the threaded holes and the screws VERY thoroughly with Alcohol, wait for it to dry, then assemble with fresh (less than a year old) Blue Loctite, it should hold.

I have seven reflex sights (three brands, including 3 DPPs) mounted on slides or dovetail adapters, and none of them come loose.  Some were mounted using purple (weaker) Loctite.  The oldest has been on a 1911 45 for six years.  If the Alcohol doesn't work for you, follow it with Loctite primer.

Thanks. I actually used laquer thinner to clean them before. Used alchoul and purchased a new tube of Loctite. 

I checked pin length never considered that. They are not too long but when I was checking that I noticed I could see a little light under the  optic toward the front. Could that be an issue??

16 minutes ago, Blue Jacket said:

Thanks. I actually used laquer thinner to clean them before. Used alchoul and purchased a new tube of Loctite. 

I checked pin length never considered that. They are not too long but when I was checking that I noticed I could see a little light under the  optic toward the front. Could that be an issue??

Its definitely and issue. 

The optic needs to sit completely flat, and the pins need to be correct. 

That doesn’t look right to me.   Using an outer impact dovetail mout for my dpp on a g34 and the optic sits flat on the plate.  I wouldn’t think it would be any different on the slide.  Also looks like plenty of space in the front of the optic, I think it should be captured all around the optic.

Blue, either you have the wrong locating pins inserted, or they are too high.  Do not apply more torque or you risk damaging the sight.  The locating pin holes in the DPP are 0.2125 +/- 0.0015 in diameter.  I don't have a drawing that shows depth, but they are not very deep.  Check the assortment of pins that came with the cut and see if you find a pair that fits better.  CZC only sends a pair of each pin size.  If you can't get anything to work in the front holes, try the rear pair.

Mine came loose.  The supplied delta point screws were actually a different size than the optic cut CZ custom slide.  I would have to look up the screw size but after using the proper screws mine had not come loose at all.  

Timido, I did use the DPP screws.  I didn't realize they were different thread sizes.  Actually it's back at CZ now.  They'll get it fixed up. 

Outerlimits I checked and it didn't look like the screws would bottom put.  I saw that mentioned on another thread.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:53 PM, Timido said:

Is this coming loose with the screws supplied with the delta point pro?  The screw is different on the multi cut 

I've been using the screws that come with the DPP on my SP-01 and Shadow and I have had no issues. CZC never provided new mounting screws when they send the Multi Optic Cut plates.

My first DP slide mounted optic, after I had it on / off a few times (for bottom mounted battery), I found it would no longer stay tight no matter what. Friend told me to try new screws, old ones might have lost their ability to stretch/hold, and that solved the issue. FYI as another thing to check in the future.

31 minutes ago, trgt said:

My first DP slide mounted optic, after I had it on / off a few times (for bottom mounted battery), I found it would no longer stay tight no matter what. Friend told me to try new screws, old ones might have lost their ability to stretch/hold, and that solved the issue. FYI as another thing to check in the future.

I've heard that the mounting screws shouldn't be used multiple times either. If the optic is coming on and off too many times, I would definitely try to get some replacement screws.

I don’t know if this would work or might be costly.  You get a metric thread insert for your optic screw diameter.  Have a machinist drill and tap your slide to accept the insert, screw the insert in, mount your optic.

The multi cut on my shadow was threaded with 8-32 threads . The delta point had metric screws.  After I ever so slightly opened up the delta point screw holes I used the 8-32 screws to attach my dot.  It has been on for 2 years now and many rounds.