Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizing Issues

lopezel

So I started having failures to extract and failures to feed with a stock Glock 19 at my last shooting session.

The issues were with 124g Xtreme HP and 115 Xtreme RN bullets. Mostly, the rounds would not fully feed into the chamber...  if they did, a manual extraction by racking the slide was very difficult.

I figured that my OAL was too long since I load long for my CZ pistols. Usually about 1.15. Also, the same rounds that were hanging up in the Glock were running fine in my CZ Shadow and P01. 

Back at the reloading bench, I shortened the OAL to 1.125 and it fixed the majority of my failures but still not perfect. 

95% of the rounds pass the plunk test in the Glock barrel... but then I noticed that my press was not fully resizing the brass. I'm using a Dillon Square Deal B. 

I did some research and it led me to changing the "toolhead friction plate"... it was very worn. Now my press is definitely resizing more of the case but there is still a good bit of case left untouched. 

Check out the pictures for reference... is  that gap normal? Is there anything further I can do to adjust the resizing on a Dillon Square Deal B? 

Very low upload size so can't upload pictures to the forum but then can be seen here:  https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Z2fxyAYJLKt6lN28l4yAh2CnpHVerryr9qoB1rqHIUW

Edited by lopezel
Pictures Link

Something else is going on. I've run Glocks between 1.060" and 1.175" depending on the bullet shape. What diameter are the bullets measuring at? And also how much bell are you putting on the case? And how much de-bell?  It's not a crimp. And what head stamp brass is giving you issues? Dillon Square Deal dies do not fully resize brass, but I've loaded mixed range brass on mine since 2001 and never had an issue. Again look at the amount of bell, too much causes all kinds of issues. Only enough to get the bullet on the case.

The bullets are 355. I just measured the "crimp" at  ~.376. I'm having trouble with various head stamps but mostly RP stamped. 

I resized 10 empty cases and one of them failed the plunk test in the Glock barrel. Loaded them with 3.6g of HP38 with OAL of 1.12 and that one suspect case will enter the barrel but its hard to extract. 

Ill call dillon tomorrow. 

So is this a case where you've loaded thousands of rounds with this recipe and all of a sudden you are having problems or a case where you are developing a new load or have changed something recently?

Can you tell where it's difficult to extract ??  If at the very start of extraction it could be an expanded case head.  If that seems to be your problem I would acquire one of the "push thru" set ups as they will resize the entire length of the case.