Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wide width shoes with decent support and traction?

LeviSS

I've developed some foot tendonitis and need something that has support, no minimalist shoes.   I've got custom insoles on the way from the Dr.

I've been wearing Asic Fuji Runnegades and love the traction they offer but they are basically the next step from barefoot.  Before that I had Adidas Kanadia, but they are about the same.

The problem is I have a wide foot.  I wear a 4E in Asics and 2E in most others.

I've tried Solomon...way too narrow.  I tried the "standard fit" Inov8...too narrow.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I like the soft rubber cleats, but might be open to other types.

Edited by LeviSS

If there is a Road Runner sport shop anywhere nearby I would strongly recommend you go there and have them evaluate you and make some suggestions. I was never a runner because of the toll it took on my body but went through their process and bought a couple pairs of the shoes they recommended and what a difference. I ended up being able to complete an ultra marathon trail run of 36.5 miles with not “extra “ discomfort in my legs or feet. 

If you have an REI (I think I remember seeing them at Cabelas too) nearby, I would also take a look at the Saucony Peregrine series in whatever variant they have. I think the 8 replaced the 7 last month, but both fit almost identically to me. The tread is aggressive, but they sit lower making them more stable than the Salomons.

I also need wide width shoes and wanted Salomons. What I did was unlace the shoe and put the laces back in, skipping the eyelets closest to my toes.

Salomon shoes are now comfortable and grippy! ;)

So much so that I've nearly worn the tread off my current pair and plan to buy two more pairs, re-laced the same way, this coming year!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, N3WWN said:

I also need wide width shoes and wanted Salomons. What I did was unlace the shoe and put the laces back in, skipping the eyelets closest to my toes.

Salomon shoes are now comfortable and grippy! ;)

So much so that I've nearly worn the tread off my current pair and plan to buy two more pairs, re-laced the same way, this coming year!

How wide are your feet? I need an 11.5 4E. The only thing that fits me right is New Balance. I'd try your technique if you really had some wide feet. 

Try Innov-8, I like the x claws. I wear wide shoes, 2E, but in Innov-8 they have regular, which seems wide and precision fit. Precision is much like the salomon shoes. The xclaws have 8mm lugs like the speedcross, but are generally cheaper. Also google fell running for all such lugged shoes.

How wide are your feet? I need an 11.5 4E. The only thing that fits me right is New Balance. I'd try your technique if you really had some wide feet. 
For width, about a 2E, depending on the brand.

I wear 10.5 in Salomons, if that matters.

11 minutes ago, David Page said:

Try Innov-8, I like the x claws. I wear wide shoes, 2E, but in Innov-8 they have regular, which seems wide and precision fit. Precision is much like the salomon shoes. The xclaws have 8mm lugs like the speedcross, but are generally cheaper. Also google fell running for all such lugged shoes.

I've already tried Inov-8.  They are too narrow.

I really wish they would work because they seem like great shoes, same with the Solomans.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:50 AM, LeviSS said:

-

I've tried Solomon...way too narrow.  I tried the "standard fit" Inov-8...too narrow.

-

Edited by LeviSS

16 hours ago, LeviSS said:

That's an option.  Any suggestions?

Go to Dick's, any sporting goods store etc. And start trying on different cleats until you find something you like! I know one thing for sure, you can buy 3 pairs compared to Solomon.

8 hours ago, ronhonda said:

I saw somewhere that salomon was making a wide sized speed cross 4. Cant find it on their site but i'll try my google fu.

https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Mens-Speedcross-Trail-Running/dp/B073JX67KW

But NB is your best bet. What I use on my hocs

Man...I'm glad you said this.    I hope they work.

I've got Speedcross 4, Saucony Peregrine's, and Altra Timps on the way to try.

After I try these, I'm gonna try some New Balance because they've fit well in the past.

I'm open to other suggestions, too.

Edited by LeviSS

22 hours ago, ronhonda said:

I saw somewhere that salomon was making a wide sized speed cross 4. Cant find it on their site but i'll try my google fu.

https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Mens-Speedcross-Trail-Running/dp/B073JX67KW

But NB is your best bet. What I use on my hocs

I just ordered a pair. I too have a 11.5 4e foot. Ao, we'll see. Hope they fit. 

LeviSS - welcome to my world. I'm 3-4E also.  It's a nightmare trying to find something quality and aggressive. Most approaches have been mentioned above and I won't repeat.  The only one I'll add would be Sketchers.  Not a wonderful solution but better than the shoes with no support at all, and budget friendly.

Also - spend some time on Zappos - they make searching and viewing easy, and are really set up for returns/exchanges.  They sell cleats also (saw that mentioned above).

[Side note: if you play golf - Footjoy is the answer.  Absolutely, without question, the best shoe, of any kind, I've ever put on my feet in 63 years.]

JimInFL

Well...

Speedcross wides are still very narrow.

Saucony Peregrine's are way too narrow.

Altra Timps might work.  I wish they were a little more aggressive, but they seem ok.  They do look a little odd.  I'm gonna wear them around the house a little before I make a decision.

I'm still open to trying others.

Try Cabelas. They have the New Balance 790 in 4E width. The tread isn't as "cleaty" as Salomon's, but still grippy and very comfortable. They also have more ankle support than regular athletic shoes, but not as high as hiking boots. I got a pair last year, and getting ready to order another.