Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AD?

JFK714

During a practice  yesterday. We had a 3 targets set up in the pit. One on the left side and 2 one the right. The distance between the left target and the first one on the right was about 15’. The shooter engaged the left target with 2 rounds and while transitioning to the first right side target (approximately half way) let one go. Then engaged the last 2 targets. So, would the shooter be DQ’d in a match for the round fired between the left side target and the one on the right?

7 minutes ago, jima60 said:

It's a DQ under unsafe gun handling.

"10.5.10  Failure to keep the finger outside the trigger guard during movement in accordance with Section 8.5"

didn't seem as if the shooter was moving, just transitioning to another target from the same position.  op can advise if that is correct.

50 minutes ago, davsco said:

didn't seem as if the shooter was moving, just transitioning to another target from the same position.  op can advise if that is correct.

Agreed. Makes all the difference in the world in this case.

The shooter fired a miss while engaging targets. Unless there was another action going on (reloading, etc.) or the round went over the berm or impacted within 10 feet of the shooter, I wouldn’t DQ the shooter. A miss is a miss, whether it’s a close miss or a really bad miss. 

The shooter was not moving, just transitioning from the left side target to the right side target. The shot did not leave the range. The point I’m trying to bring out is, the gun went bang and there was no way he intended that to happen at that point in time. But I don’t think it fits any of the rules that would disqualify him. 

43 minutes ago, JFK714 said:

The shooter was not moving, just transitioning from the left side target to the right side target. The shot did not leave the range. The point I’m trying to bring out is, the gun went bang and there was no way he intended that to happen at that point in time. But I don’t think it fits any of the rules that would disqualify him. 

Intentions are not subject to any USPSA  rule.  RO's cannot read the mind, they can just enforce the black & white.  If the shot went further than 10 feet and stayed inside the berms and was not moving, or reloading, then you cannot issue a DQ.

This is why we have the rules we do about finger in the trigger guard while moving, reloading, etc.  It takes so little pressure on many of these triggers that it is easy to unintentionally squeeze the trigger enough to fire a shot off before you are ready.  In the heat of the game feeling the difference between 4 oz and 4 lbs is hard to realize.

He was not moving or reloading so no DQ.  What he does need to practice is keeping the finger off the trigger shoe while transitioning.  Prepping the trigger while transitioning between arrays can lead to errant shots.  

1 hour ago, Poppa Bear said:

This is why we have the rules we do about finger in the trigger guard while moving, reloading, etc.  It takes so little pressure on many of these triggers that it is easy to unintentionally squeeze the trigger enough to fire a shot off before you are ready.

Still think we are really dumb for allowing the guns to be pointed over the berms during reloads, have seen too many rounds go off during reloads & too many ranges close to houses & roads. 

Just a matter of time I think. 

9 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Still think we are really dumb for allowing the guns to be pointed over the berms during reloads

completely disagree.  much rather increase the AD rules to include what are clearly accidental or negligent discharges or unsafe practices (one in the ground well in front of target, one in the berm nowhere near targets, finger on trigger during malf while pointed at target/berm).

one reason i disagree - i've seen a few reloads where the shooter breaks the 180 (ie righty running right to left) and points it uprange - if the gun is horizontal i have a gun pointed at me.

3 hours ago, Poppa Bear said:

This is why we have the rules we do about finger in the trigger guard while moving, reloading, etc.  It takes so little pressure on many of these triggers that it is easy to unintentionally squeeze the trigger enough to fire a shot off before you are ready.  In the heat of the game feeling the difference between 4 oz and 4 lbs is hard to realize.

He was not moving or reloading so no DQ.  What he does need to practice is keeping the finger off the trigger shoe while transitioning.  Prepping the trigger while transitioning between arrays can lead to errant shots.  

I agree with your assessment. It’s not a DQ. 

You make a good point regarding transition and trigger prep. I am guilty of riding the trigger while in transition (not prepping). 

When I first got started shooting OPEN, with a much lighter trigger than I

was used to, on two separate occasions I came into a shooting position

and as I was bringing the gun to bear on the first target, an unintended

early shot that didn't miss by too much (not over the berm or hit the ground).

On both occasions, the RO gave me a warning after the stage was completed.

Hasn't happened in ten years ....   gotta watch those light triggers.   :)