Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dies Recomended For Dillon 550

Pablo1234

Same here, I was doing this same setup too, then added a Redding comp seater, to change between my Production and Limited loads faster.

If you don't chnage bullets or length, the Dillons are fine.

The 'U' die is required IMHO

Dillon sizer, ground down to get the glock bulges.

Redding Seater (worth every penny)

Lee FCD with the sizing ring punched out. The FCD's only redeeming virtue is that it is adjustable w/o wrenches. I like that. The sizing ring got deep sixed on day one.

FWIW I will go out on a limb to be shot at and heckled but I have the stock Dillon dies in both .40 and 9mm and I have not experienced any "glock brass" problems at all. I load for a factory SVI limited gun and a Bedell Custom 9mm open gun. I know that many here have excellent results using other die manufacturers but so far the Dillons have worked great for me.

Take care, Craig

All Dillon except for the Redding micrometer seater for Rifle loading.

I don't reload .40 so the Glock bulge thing escapes me (thankfully). I use nothing but Dillon dies for all my 9xwhatever variants. They are the best for the price PERIOD

--

Regards,

I use the EGW/Lee sizer, the dillon powder die stuff, a Redding competion seater and a Dillon crimp die. Works like a charm.-----Larry

I have the same exact setup. I was running the Lee FCD but found that it made the press jerky. EGW/Lee sizer does the job anyways.

Hey Pablo,

In 45 I use all Dillon

In 40 am using all dillon thought about the Lee FCD but so far have had no need.

Just take your time when setting up and call dillon with any questions. A good investment is a toolhead for each caliber and maybe 4-5 primer tubes (makes loading go a lot faster.

BTW I have a spare set of 45 dies and conversion kit if interested..

Good Luck,

Joe

Lee FCD with the sizing ring punched out.  The FCD's only redeeming virtue is that it is adjustable w/o wrenches.  I like that.  The sizing ring got deep sixed on day one.

So, in all seriousness, why even use the FCD die, then?? Does it somehow crimp (sorry, Brian, "remove bell") in a different fashion?? Just because you can adjust w/o wrenches??

Lee FCD with the sizing ring punched out.  The FCD's only redeeming virtue is that it is adjustable w/o wrenches.  I like that.  The sizing ring got deep sixed on day one.

So, in all seriousness, why even use the FCD die, then?? Does it somehow crimp (sorry, Brian, "remove bell") in a different fashion?? Just because you can adjust w/o wrenches??

Because I thought that I had a spare 40 crimp die when I ordered my setup for 40 from Brian, didn't, and bought the FCD at the gunstore. The adjustable crimp knob *is* nice for debugging when things stop working the way the ought to.

Because I thought that I had a spare 40 crimp die when I ordered my setup for 40 from Brian, didn't, and bought the FCD at the gunstore.  The adjustable crimp knob *is* nice for debugging when things stop working the way the ought to.

So, ignoring the crimp knob... the Dillon die would work fine for you (in theory)?? I was considering using the U-die *and* the FCD - but I'm wondering, now, if that isn't a bit overkill....

Because I thought that I had a spare 40 crimp die when I ordered my setup for 40 from Brian, didn't, and bought the FCD at the gunstore.  The adjustable crimp knob *is* nice for debugging when things stop working the way the ought to.

So, ignoring the crimp knob... the Dillon die would work fine for you (in theory)?? I was considering using the U-die *and* the FCD - but I'm wondering, now, if that isn't a bit overkill....

If you're going to buy anything, buy the dillon so that you can pull the insert for cleaning just by popping the clip. If you're willing to take your Dillon sizer to the bench grinder, you won't even need the U die. ;)

If you're going to buy anything, buy the dillon so that you can pull the insert for cleaning just by popping the clip.  If you're willing to take your Dillon sizer to the bench grinder, you won't even need the U die.  ;)

Same set up that I use. Guppie-bellied Glock brass is a thing of the past.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...