Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Smith & Wesson PC 686 with Speed Release

Tampa-XD45

Dunno. The guns are out in the wild though. Played with one last week at a local gun shop. I like this version better than the Hogue because it clears my thumb without me having to take a file to it. But it sits really high. The new front sights are cool too. Basically a giant fiber optic, not like the opaque orange plastic of yesteryear.

I didn't check the price, but I wonder how much extra their charging for this model with the extended cylinder release, compared to buying a 686 and adding an aftermarket release ?

I like titanium unfluted cylinders, but what's the deal with putting a heavy stainless unfluted cylinder on a comp gun ????

The front sight looks like the same one I had on my 327JM, that broke just after the first 100 rounds fired. Hopefully the newer ones last longer.

SJC

2 hours ago, swordfish said:

Isn't ICORE 6 shot neutral?

The stages are (supposed to be), but the divisions are not.

Limited 6 - 6 rounds only

Limited - As many as the gun can hold (so 8, at present). 

You'd move yourself out of Limited 6 and be outgunned in Limited. 

Edited by matteekay

13 hours ago, PatJones said:

No they lifted that when they created limited 6.

I don't care for the 7 shot guns. They're useless in competition, and there are limited speedloader options if your want to carry one.

bowling pins then?

bowling pins then?
Depends on the rule set. Both places I shoot pins let you carry 10 rounds per mag / cylinder, so again, the 8-shooter is the better choice.

Though I did get 3rd of 26 shooters using the Rhino one night. At least they were kind enough to handicap me to 5 pins instead of 6... still pretty stressful to only be carrying one miss, lol.

Hm. Well I guess Smith is just dumb. I mean it sort of goes along with the company whose gameplan is to make as many guns as possible with not that great QC and fix them if people end up sending them back instead of making the guns the right way the first time. Kinda sad they're the only game in town. Maybe someone will get the new Ruger trigger down to a reasonable level and make an extended button for it and there will be competition.

considering that probably 95% + of the guns they sell are to non competition shooters, including the ones specifically marketed as competition guns they are just doing what they can to get those guys to buy another gun that looks cool to their even less knowledgeable friends. we always complain about the triggers from the factory but again I would wager that most of the guns never see a DA trigger pull, and most probably only see about what we could call a practice sessions worth of ammo their whole life.