Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Gun Builder Makes My Head Spin.

Cuz

I just came from the SVI Gun builder web page. I thought it was going to be fun to "build" my next gun. It wasn't. I have no idea what how to decide what I want for most of the options. How is a beginner supposed to know what to do? I can pick the easy stuff like if I want a standard or hi-cap frame, and whether I want Stainless or blue, but after that it got messy. Sometimes too many options can be a bad thing. I'm way too inexperienced to be making these kinds of decisions. Is there a simpler way to "build a gun"? I mean who needs 10 different slide profiles? I mean, now that there are 10 options for slide profile I need to research every single one and then come up with some sort of matrix detailing the pro's and cons of each, then multiply that by every other option available in the gunbuilder and I'll die of old age before placing my order. Maybe I should go back to trying to find a finished gun that doesn't offer so many options.

-Cuz

Cuz,

Come to the match this weekend in Manville, RI. There will be a bunch of SVIs, guys that have been through the ordering process, and other limited guns bulilt by a bunch of different smiths (like mine). Once you see some of the options, they aren't too confusing. Once you start shooting one, you realize all those options don't mean much if the gun functions for you. One of the guys that frequents that match also just got a Bedell, so we can all drool over that.

I actually heard that the Gunbuilder site is being redone.

Steve

The gunbuilder isn't very easy to deal with, unless you have the experience to know what every single little option will get you. I had SV build my limited gun and I used the builder. The worst part is if you go way over budget (like I did) and have to go back and edit your parts selection. Your way better off getting a smith to build the gun and describing what you want. I bought/traded/won, all of the parts for my open gun and had BrianH build it. I can't say that dealing with all of the little parts was much easier.

It should be easy enough to just say,

I want the following:

3 sided slide

full profile frame

?? trigger

?? hamer

?? safeties

Heavy or light feel.

And you select the stuff that makes it work.

Good luck.

Im glad to see I am not the only one that hates that site. It sounds great in theory and I am sure it could be made much easier, but as it is, it sucks. I hate how it seems no matter what options you choose you get a notice saying it isnt compatible and you cant build a gun that way. That site is the main reason I am not shooting an SV limited gun now. How hard is it to show a list of options with thier respective price increments??

The way I understand the post, the gun builder isn't so bad; he's just overwhelmed by the options. Like he doesn't know what benefit a tri-top cut slide would be, or a stirrup cut, or the different serrations and LPI options.

in ancient rome

there was a poem

about a dog

who found two bones

he picked at one

he licked the other

he went in circles

he dropped dead

freedom of choice

is what you got

freedom from choice

is what you want

I think Erik's spot on..

I like the GunBuilder - it's cool. I know someone that frequents the forum coded it. I would really like to see if it could display a completed rendering, but for a web page, it's very good.

But it's not for someone that's new to these pistols. It's difficult to visualize what some of the choices are, unless you really know what a 20LPI vs 10 LPI serration will do to/for you.

Best thing - look at as many SVI/STI pistols as possible - ask the owners what choices they made, some will know, some won't. But you'll get a better idea...

Had I been more versed, I would have made different choices - Now, to me, high LPI = dirt traps.. then, it looked good. Live and learn.

The way I understand the post, the gun builder isn't so bad; he's just overwhelmed by the options. Like he doesn't know what benefit a tri-top cut slide would be, or a stirrup cut, or the different serrations and LPI options.

Erik,

You are correct, I wasn't bashing SVI, only lamenting that I was too clueless to be given that many options. Truth be told, If I actually knew what any of that stuff meant I would probably like the Gun Builder. Except for the part about not knowing what the price is until after the fact. I tend to get impatient.

I do appreciate all the input though. It seems I've gotten this close to buying a custom Limited gun a few times in the past only to be discouraged by the fact that I just didn't know every single bit of information regarding all my options. I think my biggest worry is that a few months after I get my new gun I'll wish it were different. But that's just me not knowing what I want, I just know I want a new gun and I want it to be better than your average off-the-shelf Para, S&W, or whateve, cause I already got a bunch of those (which I happen to like very much for what they are).

-Cuz.

I agree with sniperman and smok. I will be ordering my spitfire from Chuck at shootersconnection.com this week!!!

law dawg

I just looked at those a few minutes ago. They are very nice. I did a Google search for Dan Bedell and Bedell Custom but came up empty. Does Bedell have his own website?

-Cuz

Buy a used pistol off the USPSA Classifieds. Shoot it for a year. Then you will know what you want and can use the old pistol as your backup. If you think that's too "expensive", keep in mind that if you build a gun you don't like, you're gonna lose $1K selling it anyway. Spend $2500 on a gun when you're *sure* it's exactly what you want.

In all seriousness the advice from EricW is very good. Also good is the advice to give some of the Gunsmiths on this board a call. In my personal experience Chuck and Dan from Shooters Connection were great when I was building my first gun. Rich Dettelhouser from Canyon Creek (see the dealers forum) was great also and spent a couple of hours on the phone with me talking about a limited gun. Benny Hill has an excellent reputation for building great guns and knowing what does/doesn't work so his advice would be great too.

I messed with the gunbuilder and although it is a neat little trip in cyberspace it is very confusing and not helpful at all to the first time builder. Shoot a bunch of different guns call some smith's and you will be further along the road to knowing the features YOU want built into YOUR gun.

Good luck, Craig

Cuz,

Come to the match this weekend in Manville, RI. There will be a bunch of SVIs, guys that have been through the ordering process, and other limited guns bulilt by a bunch of different smiths (like mine). Once you see some of the options, they aren't too confusing. Once you start shooting one, you realize all those options don't mean much if the gun functions for you. One of the guys that frequents that match also just got a Bedell, so we can all drool over that.

I actually heard that the Gunbuilder site is being redone.

Steve

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Im glad to see I am not the only one that hates that site. It sounds great in theory and I am sure it could be made much easier, but as it is, it sucks. I hate how it seems no matter what options you choose you get a notice saying it isnt compatible and you cant build a gun that way. That site is the main reason I am not shooting an SV limited gun now. How hard is it to show a list of options with thier respective price increments??

I think my original post spun off in the wrong direction. I don't hate it. I just don't know enough to "build my own gun". That's all. If I was experienced I'd bet I would really like it. That site just confirms that I have a lot more homework to do before I buy my next gun. that's all.

-Cuz.

Send me a PM with any questions that you have about configurations. I'll try to dig up some photos of the gun that I had built using the gunbuilder. If they had some means of exporting the entire list of options, it would certainly be easier to ask questions.

I like it, but I am also a big fan of SV in general. I actually went through it today. I like that I have a say in every little facet of the pistol. And, I think that the questions it asks are things that you should know about your gun. If you think about it, your smith probably asks you most of those same questions. It may not be all at the same time, but you do get asked.