Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder question

2 hours ago, Nemesis Lead said:

Thank you sir!  

How did N320 do vs N350 in felt recoil?

With the 14.5" barrel, the slower powder, N350, felt smoother than the N320.

The takeaway from my testing is that with 9mm a short barreled gun (pistol) likes a faster powder and a long barreled gun (carbine) likes a slower powder.

And every barrel has its preference as to which bullet weights it likes.

Edited by STIboy
52 minutes ago, STIboy said:

With the 14.5" barrel, the slower powder, N350, felt smoother than the N320.

The takeaway from my testing is that with 9mm a short barreled gun (pistol) likes a faster powder and a long barreled gun (carbine) likes a slower powder.

And every barrel has its preference as to which bullet weights it likes.

Is your 14.5 inch barrel a JP or another barrel?

I have a JP and hear they run a little slower.

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: HS-6 is dirty at low pressures. Slow powders and low velocities equal unburnt powder. I like Tite Group. It may not be the softest or cleanest but it just works. Thanks, Eric

Sorry, what's your definition of "low velocity?"  I'm running a 115 gr. or 124 gr. bullet looking for a 130 pf.  I'd estimate a velocity of between 1115 to 1190 fps.  How would you think HS-6 should perform under those conditions?

Also, FWIW, I expect to use HS-6 for practice loads and N350 for matches.

35 minutes ago, Nemesis Lead said:

Is your 14.5 inch barrel a JP or another barrel?

I have a JP and hear they run a little slower.

It's a JP barrel.  As I said before, I'll chrono the load I settle on in the spring.  Right now I've determined that the barrel likes a lighter bullet and a slower powder; details to be locked down later.

Hello: HS-6 is Dirty below about 1250fps. I tried using HS-6 for minor loads in my pistols and it was dirty. For open major loads it's great. I like faster powders for my PCC. I was going to try some Universal Clays again but Tite Group is working well with my 115's and 147's. 135's will be next in my testing for the AR9's. I have settled on 115's for the Sig MPX. Thanks, Eric

On 12/26/2017 at 9:06 AM, STIboy said:

Would this still hold for a 14.5" PCC barrel, as opposed to a 5" pistol barrel?

Not necessarily. Some powders are just dirtier (sooty) than others. Titegroup compared to N320, for instance.

In regards to the 5 inch barrel versus the 14 and 1/2, you may find that when using slower burn rate powders there may be unburned residue in and around the 5 inch, which is still dirty in it's own right, but occurs because of the incomplete ignition of the slower powder in the shorter barrel. 

Edited by MikieM
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2017 at 11:49 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: HS-6 is Dirty below about 1250fps. I tried using HS-6 for minor loads in my pistols and it was dirty. For open major loads it's great. I like faster powders for my PCC. I was going to try some Universal Clays again but Tite Group is working well with my 115's and 147's. 135's will be next in my testing for the AR9's. I have settled on 115's for the Sig MPX. Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric, so you are having good results with Tite Group in your MPX? I though the gas system would prefer a slow burning powder to cycle better? 

FYI, my concern is not dirty vs clean, my concern is reliability,  

thanks

Hello: I have over 4500 rounds through my MPX's, I have two now. No problem with reliability at all. Tite Group leaves a soot but it wipes off easily. The gas piston and valve I soak in Ed's Red for an hour or so and they clean up nice. I clean the MPX after about 800 rounds and it just keeps on running. I want to do a long term shooting cycle to see how many rounds it will take before it will fail. Not sure if that will happen since I am shooting it in most of my matches now. I do like the longer 16" factory barrel over the 8" barrel with Taccom extension installed. Something new will be coming for the 8" barreled gun soon. Thanks, Eric

That's good to know, I have 8lbs of TG as well as a few LB's of Clays, I was concerned that the FAST powders would cause cycling issues,...is your GAS system still factory or have you made modifications?

MY MPX runs amazingly well and shoots very soft using factory ammo, just haven't had much luck loading for it. I typically shoot OPEN-9major, so I though I would try HS-6 as its what I have readily available.

But again, I will try some fast powders and see...

thanks

On 1/7/2018 at 12:05 AM, HoMiE said:

Found this article from JP regarding load development for PCC, author came to conclusion that felt recoil was softer with slower powder. 

PCC%20Load%20Development%20Article.pdf

JP advised that they did not do 100 yards accuracy testing due to the cold weather.  Has anyone seen a summer follow-up of this report?

56 minutes ago, pitvpr said:

That's good to know, I have 8lbs of TG as well as a few LB's of Clays, I was concerned that the FAST powders would cause cycling issues,...is your GAS system still factory or have you made modifications?

MY MPX runs amazingly well and shoots very soft using factory ammo, just haven't had much luck loading for it. I typically shoot OPEN-9major, so I though I would try HS-6 as its what I have readily available.

But again, I will try some fast powders and see...

thanks

Hello: Both of my MPX's have stock gen 2 gas ports and run fine. I cleaned both guns when I got them and oil them up with lots of oil and they just run. Both can even run 115 power factor loads from my AR9's. They cycle a little slower at that power factor and for me I am running 138-141PF with 115's to make them cycle faster. Thanks, Eric

VV350 is my go to powder for my open pistols, so, when I got my first PCC, which was a blow-back, with a 16" bbl, I had the muzzle threaded, and a comp installed. I tried working with VV350, and Autocomp, but, with a 16" bbl, there wasn't enough gas left to work the comp much. I ended up using VV320, with 115 grain bullets, for what I thought was the best feeling load.

I now have a pair of MPXs, and also use VV320, with Extreme 115 hp bullets.

I tried heavy bullets in all PCCs, but, didn't like the way they felt.

Hello: I shot some 147's today with 2.8 grains of Tite Group. Not sure of the power factor but they were very soft shooting. These are my AR9 loads and I just wanted to see if it would cycle them. It did with no problem at all even at 32 degrees. My normal load is with 115's and Tite Group for my Gen 2. Thanks, Eric