Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to extract damaged Gogun screw

highhope

bought a used open gun, need to move the thumb rest forward,  but two screws are damgaed, pic attached

I tried damaged Screw Extractor and Remove Set from Amazon, but still can not get them out. Need help, thanks a lot...

20171221220443.png

Edited by highhope

Do you need that thumb rest? If not cut a slotted head on the screw with a dremel cutter. It will either unscrew ( with heat added ) or snap the head off. Either will allow you to remove the thumb rest and make the screw more accessible.

1 hour ago, Jmoreno88 said:

Heat it up, use a small drill bit and drill through the screw. Run the extractor down into the hole and back it out slowly. Done it way too many times

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you sir. I heat it up.Then how to run the extractor down into the hole? The extractor seems cannot go into it, is that mean the hole is too small? Thanks again. 

Thank you sir. I heat it up.Then how to run the extractor down into the hole? The extractor seems cannot go into it, is that mean the hole is too small? Thanks again. 
It's easier if you have a smaller tipped extractor. You'll make a small hole through the center of screw with a drill bit and then put that extractor into that hole so that you're grabbing the screw in the deep center rather than just using the extractor on the head where it will just spin and round out

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have done what nugget suggested a number of times. Cut a slot into the screw with a dremmel, ensure flat head screwdriver fits snug, applied heat (about 4 seconds worth) with a torch and used the a flat screwdriver to back it out. Works a charm every time. Just go easy with the cutter not to cut into the thumb rest or mount.

Thank you all guys. I finally got them out,  I cut the first hole of the Gogun (that's what I want too), use a pliers to turn the first screw out. Then turn the Gogun and the second one out. Now I move the Gogun two position forward, feel much better.

2017125.jpg

1) Replace all the missing screws!

2) Make sure the inside ends of the screws are flush with the inside of the dust cover.

2) Use at least blue locktite or red if you are sure you have everything where you want it.

3) What the heck is that hairy thing under your pistol?

36 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

2) Make sure the inside ends of the screws are flush with the inside of the dust cover.

2) Use at least blue locktite or red if you are sure you have everything where you want it.

3) Wookiee?  

Edited by Ken6PPC
spelin eror... LOL!

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Yes, sir. I ordered new screws, and will do. 

3) That's my dog... LOL!

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Steelix said:

Please make sure you put that missing screw back into the mount. Other wise the scope mount will start moving around on you. 

Yes sir. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I never had any luck with the extractor things either. I usually keep a few deemed cutting wheels that have shrunk some and use them to cut a slot in the screw and back out with a flat screwdriver. I've seen a tool that fits in the screw and you hit it with a hammer. When you hit it the screwdriver bit turns a little bit backwards. The combination of the downward blow from the hammer and turning at the same time works great. 

I was reading this thread shaking my head....same thing happened to me last week. Used blue Locktite and pre heated the screws..still stripped one screw.

So here are my questions. Is it the screws, the tool or the locking compound???

I use quality torque and Allen wrenches, I just got a new assortment of screws from Shooters Connection and use fresh blue Locktite.

What is the weak like here......removing this screw was a PITA and want to avoid it again as all the screws need to be ground down to fit the frame!

Glad I’m not the only one with this problem.....Thanks!

One more method.   Using a center drill or 1/8 drill bit, slowly drill the head until it is drilled through (it will start spinning).

remove all other screws. Slide thumbrest/mount off of gun.    Put a little heat on the remainder of the screw, turn it out.

I use a little set of vise-grips.

11 minutes ago, open17 said:

One more method.   Using a center drill or 1/8 drill bit, slowly drill the head until it is drilled through (it will start spinning).

remove all other screws. Slide thumbrest/mount off of gun.    Put a little heat on the remainder of the screw, turn it out.

I use a little set of vise-grips.

I use this approach.  Usually have applied some heat prior to turning it out with the vise grips...