Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 primer system

Check the rubber hose/sleeve on the back of the primer slide.  It can get deformed/damaged as well.  

Run a q-tip through the primer tube.  Just use the plastic rod to push it through.  If you haven't done this in a while (or never) it'll come out black.  It might get dirty enough to slow down the primers just enough to cause issues.  

• 1 month later...

Really???

Been running mine for years without the rubber tube on the slide no problems. I suspect those who tend to badmouth the press are either incapable or unwilling to adjust things until they work properly. 

Also, try another batch of primers, the biggest problems I have run into have been related to the primer, not the press...

jj

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2017 at 3:44 PM, Tom Freeman said:

Keep it clean and they run just fine.

Absolutely. Cleanliness is next to Martha Stewartliness. 

Also, don't over tighten the knurled cap on top of the primer tube housing. If too tight it can distort the little blue orifice down below. Just barely snug, if you please.

On 12/28/2017 at 9:59 AM, RiggerJJ said:

Really???

Been running mine for years without the rubber tube on the slide no problems. I suspect those who tend to badmouth the press are either incapable or unwilling to adjust things until they work properly. ..

Some might think that a piece of equipment should run out of the box without having to fiddle with it all the time outside of regular maintenance. I have had my 1050 for less than a year, had a bolt shear off on the left side of the press. Dillion's response was to drill the bolt out and put a new bolt in. Seeing that it is under warranty the press will be dismantled and sent back to them to fix.

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

Absolutely. Cleanliness is next to Martha Stewartliness. 

Also, don't over tighten the knurled cap on top of the primer tube housing. If too tight it can distort the little blue orifice down below. Just barely snug, if you please.

Once you get that knurled cap in the tight spot, put a little masking tape on it so it doesn't move.  

Replacing the blue tip on the primer tube occasionally helps. Dillon sent me a bag of replacements gratis. :) Running a q-tip down the primer tube keeps it clean. And of course the slide and slide housing should be kept clean.  When my priming system runs well, life is good. 

• 2 weeks later...