Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers Blowing Up In The Machine!

Matt Cheely

Well, I'm chucking out the 9mm rounds on my 550. I'm about 270 rounds in as I push up on the handle to seat the primer.

BOOM!

I see a small explosion erupt from the #1 station, and my ears start ringing. Damn, that was interesting. :blink: Pulled out the case, turns out it's a crimped case that's gotten into my bunch of my previously loaded / fired / cleaned cases. Somehow the shell plate twisted just a little as the loader "tried" to seat the primer in the crimped case. This allowed the side to get squished real good, and it went off almost like a rimfire.

Let's just say that I now have a pair of safety goggles sitting right next to the loader now. :ph34r:

Ever had it happen to you??

Never blown one, but then I don't use range pick brass, ever. Controlling the quality of the primer pockets goes a long way toward not having this problem. Not operating the press in a non-smooth manner helps too. After you use a progressive for a few years, you develop a good feel for this. I have been using one for almost two decades.

--

Regards,

1050 needed a "blow up kit" from dillon when the primer tube lit up (loose shellplate allowed one to get sideways in the pocket) so I ordered 2.

Just recently I forgot to replace the locator pin (on the primer station no less) and a casing was 1/2 in and half out. The half out part is what did it, KAPOW.

Wear glasses, drink only "soft drinks", NEVER RUSH.

Just out of curiosity, would everyone list what sort of primers were in the tube when they went off? 

Thanks,

John

I've done it twice (once with the whole primer system going resulting in a dent in the ceiling and amost a sudden bowel evacuation into my shorts ) and both of them were Winchester small rifle primers.

Regards,

Sam Spiteri

I had one pop on a 650 for no discernable reason. Federal, I think it was, but easily could have been Winchester too. Dillon sent me a new priming system even though I said it was only one in the seating station.

Always wear eye protection when reloading.

Interesting note. I use a 550 and have crushed many a primer over the years, but have never popped one. I use a mixture of WW SR, WW Magnum Pistol and Federall 100 SP primers.

One thing I don't do is hit the primer stroke hard and fast. Slow and steady is the key. For me they crush, not pop!

--

Regards,

Interesting note. I use a 550 and have crushed many a primer over the years, but have never popped one. I use a mixture of WW SR, WW Magnum Pistol and Federall 100 SP primers.

One thing I don't do is hit the primer stroke hard and fast. Slow and steady is the key. For me they crush, not pop!

--

Regards,

That's what I've also done. I don't smack it, just a good press on the lever. I've crushed quite a few primers in bad pockets, but the little twist I got seemed to do the trick. Luckly no damage to me or the machine.

I was using a borrowed Lee 1000 early in my shooting / reloading days. Felt a primer go a little crooked, decided I would just lean in a little. WOW that was loud!

Ruined the primer system completely. Took three days to get the parts and fix it.

Blown a primer in a RL550, uncleaned cases, because I was in a hurry, loading too fast, because I was in a hurry. WOW, just as loud in a Dillon!!. No damage, just cleaned the debris from the primer up, dropped the case in the bin and got on with it.

Be safe, go carefully and go BLUE.

--

Regards,

I haven't had any primers go off in my SDB, and I've crushed at least a couple dozen. But I also do the slow and steady seating push. There have been times when I've caught, just by feel, that the primer wasn't seating right, and stopped right there. When I pull the case, the primer is sometimes only 1/4 of the way seated.

I still make a point of wearing safety glasses when I load, though I haven't been able to put up with the discomfort of also wearing hearing protection in case the whole tube goes... B)

I've never set off any primers in my 13+ years of loading. Started off with Square Deal, switched to Dillon 550 and now loading on a Dillon 650 (since 1996 I think).

However, many years ago (Circa~ 1993) ... I was loading primer tubes for Kay Clark who unbeknownst to me was having primer system problems on her Dillon 1000. Post explosion scene - Dumbfounded look on my face, raining glass from the flourescent tubes above the loader, the aluminum follower with brass topper that were weighting the primers looked like a funnel cake. I asked Kay if she was as surprised as I was. She said no since she was hammering on the primer system in an effort to fix it. :blink:

LESSON LEARNED: ALWAYS WEAR YOUR EYE PROTECTION even if you are only in the vicinity!