Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of getting the shadow 2 but need some advise

f150mikey57

I have been shooting USPSA production for 2 years now with a glock 34 and recently got my hands on the shadow 2 at a gun store and really liked the way the gun fit my hand and am seriously considering taking the jump and getting one. My concerns are getting used to DA/SA setup compared to the striker fired glock I am used to. Has anybody made a similar change in equipment and how did it go? Anything else to consider or any ideas? I would really like to shoot it with some live fire as opposed to just handling in the gun store before dropping that much cash so any suggestions on where to find a place to test one out or anybody possibly in the mid Michigan area willing to make a range trip and let me fire a few rounds???

I shot an XDM for 6-7 years before making the switch  (mid-shooting season) to a Shadow 2.  I too feared that getting used to DA/SA would be a problem.  However, it was not an issue at all.  My scores stayed about the same immediately after the switch.  Within a month my scores improved.  If I were to do it over again I would make the switch during the off season rather than the middle of the season.  Other than that, no regrets.   

I switched back and forth between glock, tanfo, and cz probbly 10 times this year. No joke.  The trigger is the least of the issues, for me at least. 

Saying that, I'd ask if  you're prone to accidental discharges with light triggers?  The SA could be pretty light.  If that's not an issue I'd say get one.  It's different but a few weeks and you'll be used to it.  

Started shooting productions with Glock 34 while waiting for my SP01 to arrive -- approximately 2-3 months.  When the SP01 arrived, I got up about 30 minutes earlier than normal, get the pistol and load a magazine with dummy rounds weighing approximately what real ammo does, "loaded" pistol with snap cap, and the magazine.  Then listen to the morning news while pointing the pistol at the wall and doing 100 to 200 DA pulls in sets of 20.  Didn't take long to get the pull ingrained in my head and muscles.  Practice free style, and strong-weak hand!! Still do the drill occasionally to ensure the human part of the process is still securely embedded in the gray matter, and if I have a layoff because I'm shooting another division.  The focus is on the pull and keeping sight aligned through the hammer release.  Taping something to use as an aiming point on the wall helps.  1/3 size A zone is ideal in my opinion.

A really nice worked over trigger, you won't have an issue with the DA pull. If anything, DA weak hand only and the transition from DA to SA can be tad tricky. What was the most difficult learning curve was more about the weight of gun, grip, and reloading. Trigger was least of my worries.

I had exactly the same situation.

Coming from a Glock, the weight of the CZ is immediately apparent and glaring, to the point of being mentally distracting for a while. 

Though I've had the S2 for less than a month, I have an intensive dry fire schedule, and shoot often, so I feel I can make some valid observations. 

The S2 is probably the most comfortable handgun I've ever shot, and it's incredibly fun to deal with. The recoil impulse is soft, reliability has been perfect thus far, and the gun is incredibly accurate. 

All positives aside, don't think you'll improve simply by changing platforms. For all the CZ's comfort, weight, accuracy, and svelte lines, I outshoot it relatively consistently with a stock Glock 17 on every timed drill, or stage I put together. I find the DA/SA trigger pull to be very off-putting, but pretty easily surmountable. I suppose preferring a single consistent striker trigger pull VS a heavier DA first pull, followed by a nice buttery smooth single action pull makes me an outlier, but I do find the inconsistency annoying. The magazines do have a nasty tendency to disassemble themselves when dropped, but I expect a slight modification to fix that.

I control the recoil from a stock Glock as well or better despite the weight difference, though I suspect this is largely familiarity based.

Overall, so long as you don't expect to buy it for a marked improvement in performance, but look at it as a lateral trade to a platform you may like more, then by all means enjoy it. 

I do not regret the purchase at all.  I love the gun, however I will not be competing with it anytime soon.

Fasthenk65

• Looks for Match
  •  
  • Fasthenk65
  • Members
  •  
  • 40 posts

After changing to brass grips for my SP01 Shadow Orange I sold my Shadow 2..., SO much calmer (so faster) based on advice of Bosko from luckydelta.

Changed gun to Tango Stock II extreme (small frame , after advice of one of the major Tango dealers in The Netherlands switched to brass grips (EGD, Grauffel).

Same impact: 

Bit fatter grip (EGD standard bit small), faster FS recovery, calmer shooting...

Like to hear your experience!!

Regards,

Henk

•  
  • ask him why .:o    not me;)
  •  

Yes, I went from a G34 to a SP01 Shadow when I first made the switch. And yes, it was very frustrating at first and I had no help and just worked through it on my own. I would suggest for you:

1. Practice doing things correctly. Do things at whatever speed you can do them perfectly.

2. Do this often. Very often. Consistent practice will speed this up.

3. Positive self talk. Constantly tell yourself you are good at a DA pull. You've done the work, you've shot good shots. Frame everything about it in a positive light.

4. Watch E Langdon's "fear not the double action shot" on Youtube and learn it in the exact steps and manner he describes.

Part one is linked below.

Lots of good info, thanks. No I do not expect it to make me any better I just think I might like the platform better but then again I have never owned a higher end gun like this before so it will be all trial and error and I totally do expect it to be like starting over which is why I would like to try and make the switch well before the season starts again in the spring to get plenty of dry and live fire practice with it. Thanks again for any and all info on the subject.

16 minutes ago, f150mikey57 said:

Lots of good info, thanks. No I do not expect it to make me any better I just think I might like the platform better but then again I have never owned a higher end gun like this before so it will be all trial and error and I totally do expect it to be like starting over which is why I would like to try and make the switch well before the season starts again in the spring to get plenty of dry and live fire practice with it. Thanks again for any and all info on the subject.

Sounds like you're on the right track! 

Plus, everyone likes new toys.

This is a great thread. Lots of great info. I have not ran my shadow 2 at a match yet. I started with glock, then I got a tso that I shoot in Limited as well as purchasing an S2. I’m currently shooting an Sti Dvc Limited, the controls on a 2011 work better for me. But I’ve toyed with playing in production next year with the shadow 2 just so that I work on reloading. My biggest weakness is I always forget my stage plan and forget to reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...