Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issues with Geissele SD 3 Gun Trigger

Wahoo72

I am having issues with the Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun Trigger.  When I start to pick up the pace on my trigger pull roughly every 10th pull  or so it has a 3-5 round burst and sounds like it went full auto.  Anyone else having this issue?  

Im thinking of getting a whole new trigger and just getting rid of this one.  Any advice would be appreciated.

13 minutes ago, The Donald said:

What ammo are you running. If you reload what primers? I had the same thing happen, was soft rifle primers.

I haven't gotten around to reloading for this rifle yet, this is factory ammo.  I have a buddy who also had the same thing happen and he switched it out for an AR Gold trigger and loves it.

How are you holding the gun? The very short reset on these triggers can cause them to bump fire. I had this problem when the rifle was benched but never shooting offhand.  Try shooting with a firm grip pulling the gun into the shoulder firmly to see if the bursts go away.  

Also do a disconnector test. With lower separated pull back on the trigger and hold, cock hammer back, release trigger. Hammer should be caught by disconector. If it doesn’t you have a problem and I wouldn’t shoot the gun.  Be prepared to “catch” the hammer so it doesn’t hit the front of the receiver. Repeat several times.

26 minutes ago, AKJD said:

How are you holding the gun? The very short reset on these triggers can cause them to bump fire. I had this problem when the rifle was benched but never shooting offhand.  Try shooting with a firm grip pulling the gun into the shoulder firmly to see if the bursts go away.  

Also do a disconnector test. With lower separated pull back on the trigger and hold, cock hammer back, release trigger. Hammer should be caught by disconector. If it doesn’t you have a problem and I wouldn’t shoot the gun.  Be prepared to “catch” the hammer so it doesn’t hit the front of the receiver. Repeat several times.

I hold and shoot as you describe, but I've never tried that test.  I will def try that... thank you!

This is a bump firing issue. It is well documented over the last several years that it can happen with this trigger if you don’t have it firmly against and pulled into your shoulder. It happened to me once or twice when I first got the trigger when shooting prone. I didn’t have the gun very tight, so when fired the super short reset on the trigger allowed the gun to fire again. The trigger is NOT faulty. You will have to just hold the gun tighter when shooting it. 

7 hours ago, glock34shooter said:

This is a bump firing issue. It is well documented over the last several years that it can happen with this trigger if you don’t have it firmly against and pulled into your shoulder. It happened to me once or twice when I first got the trigger when shooting prone. I didn’t have the gun very tight, so when fired the super short reset on the trigger allowed the gun to fire again. The trigger is NOT faulty. You will have to just hold the gun tighter when shooting it. 

Buddy of mine was doing some rifle shooting in an awkward position one time and didn't have the rifle shouldered very well. Let off a nice burst. Everyone at the range stopped and stared, it was kind of funny.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:54 PM, glock34shooter said:

Good to know, I have this same trigger but have not had this issue.   I have not been in an awkward shooting position and usually have a firm shoulder when firing.  Does anyone know if this would get you DQed in a 3Gun match?

I just picked up one of the Brownell's Rapid Fire triggers, which is basically the same as the S3G.  I ran it in my 10.5" pistol this weekend and didn't have any bump fire issues, even running the lighter trigger spring.  I threw my CMMG .22 conversion in it and purposely tried to get it to bump fire, but sadly was only able to get the occasional double.

1 hour ago, NoKimberDave said:

Have you changed anything in the recoil/gas system?

Is it possible these are slamfires?

Hard to imagine 5 round bursts being from bump firing. Certainly possible if you have a wooden trigger finger I guess.

Not really, I have a JP barrel and gas block that is adjusted just over where it locks the bolt to the rear.  

17 hours ago, Wahoo72 said:

Not really, I have a JP barrel and gas block that is adjusted just over where it locks the bolt to the rear.  

Regular mass bcg and buffer?

Just curious. Sometimes slam firing can be an issue with low mass systems and heavy firing pins. No expert here, but I have heard of it happening.

I have seen triggers suffer from the problems you are having. Not Geisseles, but people have had problems with them before, returned them, got them back and had no further problems. So a bad trigger isn't out of the realm of possibility.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:39 AM, NoKimberDave said:

Regular mass bcg and buffer?

Just curious. Sometimes slam firing can be an issue with low mass systems and heavy firing pins. No expert here, but I have heard of it happening.

I have seen triggers suffer from the problems you are having. Not Geisseles, but people have had problems with them before, returned them, got them back and had no further problems. So a bad trigger isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Yea it's a low mass BCG and buffer.  I am going to hit the range again soon to try a few things and see if I can get it "malfunction" again.  If it does it again I will Call Geissele 

19 hours ago, Wahoo72 said:

Yea it's a low mass BCG and buffer.  I am going to hit the range again soon to try a few things and see if I can get it "malfunction" again.  If it does it again I will Call Geissele 

Are you using a titanium or lightweight firing pin? I have heard of lowmass sytems with heavy firing pins having symptoms similar to this. Might be worth checking.

On 11/14/2017 at 2:14 PM, NoKimberDave said:

Are you using a titanium or lightweight firing pin? I have heard of lowmass sytems with heavy firing pins having symptoms similar to this. Might be worth checking.

Yes, you need a titanium firing pin to cure the bump fire which is actually a slam fire.

You’ll know if it’s a slam fire issue when you drop the bolt on a fresh mag and it cooks off a round. I had that issue with an AR45. Thought it was the trigger that was doubling/tripling, until I had one light off when I closed the bolt.

Ti firing line aren’t always necessary but they are a good preventive measure when running a low mass setup. 

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, davsco said:

bil had the same issue yesterday, zeroing his jp ctr (with the sd3g dropped in) off a bench, occasional double tap. 

That's a common issue with light triggers in AR's.  When zeroing you're pulling very slow and deliberately and the trigger bounces off your trigger.  I've done it with my Geissele's, Hiperfire's, etc... when zeroing, but it's never happened under normal shooting conditions.

Edited by 1981Shooter

It's a known issue with the Geissele SD 3Gun trigger. Happens with some lowers, doesn't happen with others. Geissele will exchange the OP's with a new one, but if he puts it in the same lower, it might do the same thing. I would suggest asking Geissele to replace it with an SSA-E or an SD-E (flat trigger).