Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case lube leaving moisture

What is the best way and/or best product for lubing cases. I use Hornaday One Shot. I spray it in a 1 gallon zip lock bag and then dump the cases in there and shake them. However, lately, some of the cases still have moisture in them when I go to load and the powder sticks to the case wall. I would rather not set them out on the bench one by one to dry as that will take a while if I have 2 cases to load. The time spent doing that kinda defeats the purpose of have a 650 (speed). I'm willing to consider another product, if necessary

I use the Dillon lube, spray it in a gallon sized zip lock bag, add brass, shake/massage the cases, then dump the whole lot into my case feeder.  At this point I leave for awhile, usually an hour or more.  When I come back I load.  When I'm done I dump my cases out on an old towel, spray with rubbing alcohol, shake/massage the cases in the towel, roll the cases to a new section of towel, and repeat.  I follow the last step until the cases don't feel sticky anymore.  2 or 3 times is usually enough.

8 minutes ago, jhgtyre said:

I use the Dillon lube, spray it in a gallon sized zip lock bag, add brass, shake/massage the cases, then dump the whole lot into my case feeder.  At this point I leave for awhile, usually an hour or more.  When I come back I load.  When I'm done I dump my cases out on an old towel, spray with rubbing alcohol, shake/massage the cases in the towel, roll the cases to a new section of towel, and repeat.  I follow the last step until the cases don't feel sticky anymore.  2 or 3 times is usually enough.

What press do you have? I have  a Dillon 550b and I just got  a 650 a couple of months ago. I never had to lube the cases when I loaded 45acp on the 550, now that I load them on the 650 I have to lube them to keep from getting rounds without the primers seated all the way.

Every 100 rounds, I will take a WD40 soaked Q-tip and swirl it up inside the the decapping/resizing die, the outside of the powder through die (the part that flares the pistol case mouth), the bullet seating die, and then the crimp die.

It gets a lot of crud out and helps lube things up for a little while.

I have never sprayed lube on any straight walled pistol cases.

Do you have  carbide dies?

Which one shot are you using? They have an aerosol and a water based pump formula. You want the aerosol. 

But homemade Dillon is the best in my opinion. With the right alcohol it dries in a matter of seconds leaving only lanolin on the cases.

What is the best way and/or best product for lubing cases. I use Hornaday One Shot. I spray it in a 1 gallon zip lock bag and then dump the cases in there and shake them. However, lately, some of the cases still have moisture in them when I go to load and the powder sticks to the case wall. I would rather not set them out on the bench one by one to dry as that will take a while if I have 2 cases to load. The time spent doing that kinda defeats the purpose of have a 650 (speed). I'm willing to consider another product, if necessary

I too use a ziplock bag and Hornady aerosol (tried the pump spray once and it was a messy disaster). My immediate assumption is you might be using to much lube... it only takes a tad - even on squeaky clean brass run through SS media.

Here is what I do:

1) place 2 to 3 handfuls of brass in a 1-gallon ziplock bag
2) add 2 to 3 light spritzes of Hornady lube (just spritzes - not a squirt, coating, misting or blast)
3) seal the bag and roll it around in your hands a few times
4) open and give the brass a couple more light spritzes, then seal and roll around a few more times.

At that point I either dump the brass directly into the casefeeder if I’m on a progressive or into an akrobin if I’m on a single stage.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar process here.....large ziplock bag, spray aerosol Hornady in the bag for 1-2 seconds, couple handfuls of brass thrown in, shake/mix up in the bag for 4-5 seconds, dump in plastic bin and let sit until needed for the next loading session. I typically do enough brass for each session the day before or maybe 2-3 days before i plan to use it.

I've been doing what Dave Re told me to do a long time ago.....throw a few hand full of brass in a plastic bin, put them all on their side and spray them at 90 degrees.  This also help me identify the stray "wrong" caliber in the mix....very little lube gets inside the case and I've never had a squib.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

are you sure you're not confusing the lube on the case with the "moisture" you're concerned about? a lubed case will feel different than an non lubed case.

Yes, your correct, it is lube. Wrong choice of words on my part

I just dump the cases onto a towel and knock them over on their sides. Spray straight down on the cases and then pick up the towel and roll the cases over each other. Then I dump them into a plastic box for storage. I have been doing this for about 15 years with good results. I use One Shot aerosol.

11 minutes ago, mbabin said:

10:1 ratio of Isopropyl alcohol to lanolin oil.  works great!

I just put it in a cheapo spray bottle.

Regular isopropyl has too much water in it. You need the 99% stuff. I ordered two bottles and one bottle of liquid lanolin  on amazon. Probably make enough lube to last 10 years for 20 bucks.

19 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

I tried the baggie method and wasn't so happy with the results. Have been using a large (10x14 ?)plastic flat bottom pan with lid. Probably holds a couple hundred (9s) or so. Lay cases on side quick spray with HOS aerosol move pan back and forth enough to roll cases around, another quick spray, put lid on shake around vigorously, take lid off, blow with compressor or fan with the lid a few secs & dump in case feeder.

When I first started using it I was putting way too much on, really requires very little.

I then put in a couple hundred in a ss bowl, splash with mineral spirits roll around and dump on an old towel. Cleans all the lube off and leaves them nice and shiny.

Oh, also I've noticed using some type of polish (I use that Nu Finish) in your media the brass requires even less lube.

Cheers!

I have never used case lube. Tumble in walnut loaded with mineral oil first, then corn loaded with NuFinish car polish. So slippery you can barely pick them up. So bright you have to wear sunglasses.

image37648.jpg

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

Regular isopropyl has too much water in it. You need the 99% stuff. I ordered two bottles and one bottle of liquid lanolin  on amazon. Probably make enough lube to last 10 years for 20 bucks.

what you seek for the most potent and most water free isopropyl alcohol is Heet:

41GCeZoBzpL.jpg

which can be found in the auto section at walmart

what you seek for the most potent and most water free isopropyl alcohol is Heet:

41GCeZoBzpL.jpg

which can be found in the auto section at walmart

Thanks for the heads-up. 99% isopropyl alcohol is getting hard to find and pricey even on Amazon...

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight wall: I dump cases in a tray, knock them on their sides then give them the slightest spray of One Shot. Shake the tray so cases roll and another quick spray. If you are spraying enough to get lube collecting in droplets you are spraying way too much. I lube so little I probably miss a few.

Bottleneck: Sure, make your own lanolin base lube but two points. Yes, you don't want water in your isopropyl. I buy technical grade on ebay by the gallon. Lanolin is offered by many but the grade of the material is all over the place. Lots of lanolin will cloud up and start to solidify when it is under 60*F. If used there will be particulate matter in the solution which clogs the spray head. Not good.

This does NOT work.

This stays very clear and works well

Myself, I would never use lanolin on pistol cases (too messy and unnecessary) and never use One Shot when forming rifle brass (too expensive and harder to apply evenly) but to each his own.

46 minutes ago, mcracco said:

Myself, I would never use lanolin on pistol cases (too messy and unnecessary) and never use One Shot when forming rifle brass (too expensive and harder to apply evenly) but to each his own.

If you don't use lanolin and you don't use One Shot, then what do you use?

17 hours ago, Want2BS8ed said:

Are you saying you use this by itself to lube cases or do you mix it with lanolin or (something else)?

Ignore this I meant it for another poster. Can't figure out how to delete a post:wacko:

Edited by GregInAtl