Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Can We Make The Sport More Popular?

Until there is a power shift in Sedro Wooley - we the shooters - will have to be our own best marketing resource. Just got back from the auto shop - who did I meet? Another shooter. Probably won't shoot USPSA, but I sure wish I had some USPSA cards to hand out because I know that he'll pass them around to the other guys in the shop and to some LE customers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, USPSA's prospective clientele is not at gun shows, they're not lurking around gun shops........they're managing banks, they're selling insurance, they're doing the electrical wiring on the new office building, they're the liberal-looking soccer mom who always secretly wanted to shoot, but just never knew how to get started (and was put off by the gun store jerks).

I wish some other folks would contact USPSA and *politely* suggest the biz card thing. (Hint...hint...hint...)

I'd like to think someday that there would be a TV commercial that would air during Shooting Gallery or ShootingUSA that extolled the fun and excitement of USPSA, but I'm pretty sure I'll "leave the range" before that ever happens.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't we just design our own. Plenty of graphic talent around, and then everyone can download the image and send to their local business card printer and away you go...

We could show internet links to USPSA, and also to this forum...

I am hearing things here, right now in the last couple posts that are kinda new developments in this shaggy old dog. I think EricW is on to something about the "real" target audience we need to hit.

He is also on the money about inertia. Truly, our audience is every law abiding, John/Jane Q citizen that assumes that there is nothing else they can do with their self defense gun except keep it handy to protect the household. They don't want to go to gun shows either and we will not get to them except as EricW says, by going to where they are with the right materials/information. It's all about knowing about something first. Then we can worry about how to handle the influx.

Imagine if we could cause USPSA to re-evaluate their way of doing things because 50k of new applications suddenly had to be processed in 3 months time. Yeah, you'd see some changes ;-)

BTW, OLN and dedicated shooting shows are not where a commercial needs to be aired. It needs to be on the History Channel, TBS, A&E, etc... because it's the non-shooting segment of the public we need to get interested in "this thing we have".

--

Regards,

I, too, played paintball before coming to IPSC/USPSA - but, frankly, paintball was a pre-21 substitute for me before I could buy a real handgun. I'd still play paintball today - but only have money for one hobby, so... I was also involved in setting up a paintball club at Georgia Tech (dont' know if it still survives, or not), so was involved in some marketing attempts (I was also involved in setting up the GT Marksmanship Club - don't know if it's still around or not, either :) ).

The real guns angle is the big difference, to me. Games like speedball, etc, tend to reduce the "military" look of the game, as well.

My honest opinion is that we're never going to achieve that level of notoriety while we're shooting a game that can easily be construed as shooting at human beings with real guns. I think the "real guns" angle is the big part of that - and is why paintball seeks to remove itself from real guns as distantly as possible (why else would they call it a "marker", after all...???). The torso shaped Classic target has some issue there, as well, but it would appear that people shooting at each other isn't as big a deal as people shooting things with real guns (otherwise, paintball just wouldn't fly...). IOW - I think the target would have to change, but I don't think it's the major factor/difference between us and paintball.

I agree that I've seen some dodgy gun handling skills on the paintball field - they *do* take steps to try to prevent accidents - barrel plugs when not in a game, etc, and whatnot. When you're on the field, always have goggles on - period. Someone shoots you by accident, you can just kick their ass. The fields that I played on were appropriately anal about following the safety restrictions - to the point where they chrono'ed everyone to insure they weren't shooting hot or something like that, too (though that didn't stop cheating from that angle, either...).

Bruce's youth factor is a point - but unlike paintball, the simple legalities of firearms and ammo make it harder for youths to be involved without significant parental involvement, as well. If mom or dad don't shoot, this is a tougher sell - though I have a friend through my wife who's kid is a paintballer (currently 16), and he's been pumping me for info about shooting and what I do, so... :)

Better marketing of Production and L-10 (and SS) divisions would make a difference, as well - the gun store commandos can't stick to their "IPSC is an arms race" argument if the facts are easily available. If it were clear that you could get into this game for around $500-600 and shoot cheapo 9mm ammo, it might help... That's not that much more expensive than paintball startup, really, and the ammo cost isn't much more, either.

Maybe we should all go shoot paintball, kick their asses, and then teach them how to shoot for real :) Just kidding - paintball is a whole other world....

I wish some other folks would contact USPSA and *politely* suggest the biz card thing.  (Hint...hint...hint...)

Eric - I spoke to Dave Thomas tonite, and he would be delighted if you would offer to design a business card flier. Dave tells me his staff can arrange the actual printing if you can come up with a design - email dave@uspsa.org to work out the details.

I wish some other folks would contact USPSA and *politely* suggest the biz card thing.  (Hint...hint...hint...)

Eric - I spoke to Dave Thomas tonite, and he would be delighted if you would offer to design a business card flier. Dave tells me his staff can arrange the actual printing if you can come up with a design - email dave@uspsa.org to work out the details.

Rob,

I definitely will. While I was packing orders, I wondered if I could borrow USPSA artwork for logos. I'll call Sedro tomorrow and see what we can work out. And if I can't come up with something that looks good, I'll just bet someone else can.

We'll get 'er done! I want something for the back of my biz cards anyway...I'm almost out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, USPSA's prospective clientele is not at gun shows, they're not lurking around gun shops........they're managing banks, they're selling insurance, they're doing the electrical wiring on the new office building, they're the liberal-looking soccer mom who always secretly wanted to shoot, but just never knew how to get started (and was put off by the gun store jerks). 

Big +1 on this.

Chances are, you don't show up at a match to shoot a game as your first exposure to shooting. More likely than not, you are interested in a gun for self defense and find shooting to be pretty fun. You some how make it through the gun shop commandos and make a purchase and need a place to shoot. What kind of range is Joe and Jane average going to come across for practice? I think the first step is having IPSC friendly ranges that appeal to a larger cross section of people. We had an indoor range like that here in PA that was doing great but then took a turn for the worse (long story) and is now out of business and has a big "for lease" sign up on it. They had nightly IPSC style shoots that brought a lot of new people into the sport and I even saw some of the same faces at the local outdoor monthly matches which was great! A non-intimidating atmosphere at the grass roots level is what I think we need. That and a positive feature article in magazines geared for active men and women (GQ, Men Fitness, Maxim, etc.)

As for getting young kids into shooting. That seems like a Huge uphill battle. I can not imagine the reaction most people unfamiliar with the sport would have if they saw little Johnny running around like his hair is on fire hosing down as many humanoid looking targets as he could in 30 seconds. I think kids should be involved and learn about firearms but it may be wishful thinking given our current liability paranoid society. Even the 18-21 demographic is hard to break into considering they can't own a handgun.

The other hindrance in the cost involved in shooting and the preconceived notion of how easy shooting is. Most people figure, they'll buy a gun and be shooting aspirins out of the air at 100 yards just like in the movies. Sadly, that isn't true and I feel like the frustration of not being able to perform as expected could be a turn off to a lot of people. Like anything else, shooting well takes an investment of time and money that a lot of people just aren't willing to give.

I don't want to sound all negative, but the longer your into fringe sports, the harder it is to see why they are fringe, you like something, you want to share your excitement with it....great, just realize its an up hill battle.

Rockclimbg

HQD had a great idea. Make it available so I can download it and print it onto precut business cards here at the house. I would hate to run out of cards and have to call Sedro and wait for more to be shipped.

Its not USPSA's responsibility to get more shooters...its mine...and yours. USPSA should be there for support and to give us the tools we need. Like business cards, and/or a downloadable file for me to print my own.

I've got a guy at work that bought a Berretta 92 so he can get more familiar with it. We've gone to the range a couple of times and I've talked him into at least going to a match. I printed him a copy of the USPSA Annual magazine, loaned him my Area 4 DVD done by Chet Polo, brought copies of Front Sight to work and generally talked it up that he can buy two more mags and compete in Production.

There is an easy way to double the membership of USPSA....thats for every current member to get just one person to join. It won't happen overnight, but within 6 months to a year you can make it happen.

Well, thats enough soapbox for now.

Most of us use Microsoft word. In word under "tools" you can choose "envelopes and labels" then pick "Options". There you will find format for printing business cards that are Std Avery numbers like you can purchase from the Office Max or Staples. I like the idea of being able to print something out my own computer and have them handy.

On making USPSA more popular and drawing more people to hell with the politically correct crowd. I don't think we need to go around walking on egg shells about the shape of the targets that we shoot either. Let's not be so appologetic and afraid that we might offend someone. We shoot firearms and we do shoot them at human silhouettes. Let's just be matter of fact about what we do. The slimey salesperson attempt is not where we want to be in my opinion.

People who have firearms already seem to be our biggest potential target source of new shooters. We were shooting a league tonight and a guy walks in with his two kids and a 45 auto. We explained nicely that we were using the range as a league night and then instead of pushing the guy out the door we had him shooting with us. He had one mag with him and people lent him magazines. I explained scoring and another guy walked him through the safe sequence of shooting Lamr etc. We just had the guy shoot from the low ready position instead of shooting from a holster to begin with. He had a grand time and will probably come back to another league night. Everyone was friendly and inviting and he already had most of what is needed to play.

In a marketing approach identifying the targeted audience is a big step. Identifying the audience with the biggest return for effort expended is also important. Yes, we should look for all types of people where ever we can find them, but firearm owners that already have some equipment are probably our best bets. Just my thinking out loud.

Rick

I bought the cards to use on my printer, but didn't get around to printing them yet (it has been a while).

- USPSA logo (b&w for me)

- first match FREE

- contact info for the Section Coordinator (or, whoever)

- section's club website addresses, in order of monthly match date.

???

I happen to practice at an IPSC frendly indoor range. Although the range doesn't run any matches, they are very tolerant of my double taps, Bill drills, multiple targets, and three position drills.

I've asked and they have allowed the placement of a point-of-sale counter top display for the offering of brochures promoting IPSC. The problem is, I don't believe Sedro has anything available. At least nothing noted on the website. Is there anything like this available? The business card idea is great. I can visualize the front promoting USPSA National with local match info and contacts on the back.

I've said it before and I'm going to reiterate it again, "IPSC is the best kept secret in shooting." I don't keep secrets worth a damn though. I make it a point to be an ambassador to the sport and hope to see my contacts at the range.

To get an idea of where we are and where we need to go. Ever hear of skysurfing. You know, X-Games skydiving with a board strapped to your feet? At the 2004 US Nationals only four jumper / video teams entered. There are 34,000 skydivers in the US and skysurfing is considered a fringe event even by us. Yet, you know about it.

There are a whole lot more handgunners out there that just need to know that there's a competition available than there is people who want to jump out of an airplane.

References:

http://www.omniskore.com/comp/2004/nats/index.htm

http://www.uspa.org/

I read another real good thing here just now by stumpnav. USPSA in Sedro Wooley really is just the card punching, registration taking part of "this thing we have". We, the members are what USPSA/IPSC shooting in this country is all about. The USPSA home office should provide promotional materials to aid our evangelical efforts, but it really is up to us to recruit. Sedro Wooley just issues the card and tracks the classifications. It's all the Match Directors, CRO's and squad members who help each other out and cheer each other on every weekend all over the place that make USPSA/IPSC competition what it is. No excuses folks, if we want more membership, we will have to go out and make more of it ourselves and not expect someone else to do it while we watch.

Clay1's example of hooking a newcomer with guidance and helpfulness is right on target. Doing whatever it takes to make spectators into competitors is what it's all about IMO.

--

Regards,

--

Regards,

Edited by George

Now we're rolling! We are all in the USPSA recruiting department until further notice. If your at the range and someone looks like they have good gun handling practices make a new friend. Give them a shooting tip or two. After asking if you can have their brass sell them on our sport.

I've gotten two new shooters into the sport this season and I'm looking for more. It's not a hard sell. Convey your love for the sport and let them know how much friggin fun it is. Emphasize the saftey aspects as well. Offer to take them under your wing and invite them to squad with you.

Be sure to let them know they can start cheap; bladetech holster and fobus mag pouches. We have a division to fit the gun they already own.

I'm going to call Sedro today and see if I can get the POS stuff for my local indoor range. I'm sure they will let me put it up.

Actually, USPSA has a POS system for ranges and shops, and pays a $5.00 bounto n new memberships.

HQ has also introduced a system where shops which agree to keep the POS material visible in their shop can be listed on www.uspsa.org (the on-line clubfinder will find both clubs and shops), and also gives shops the ability to post a bit of info about themselves (directions, things of interest to potential customers, etc.).

I believe our target market is the shooter that has a pistol and is now bored with going to the range and plinking at one target for 50 rounds and going home. Most of them have no idea anything else is available. I sure didn't.

If they do know anything about it, it looks like a huge jump to get there-- they'll need a holster, belt, magazines, much more ammo, bag. etc, etc, plus any shooting they've seen looks way harder than anything they've ever done before. (If they've read a gun rag lately, they'll also think they need a $3000 laser-sighted blaster and so on).

We need to educate them first, then provide a support network (eek, I'm getting all new-agey).

The card just gets them to a club web site or maybe out to watch a match. What happens then is the IPSC salesmen need to grab the customer and start driving them the right direction-- here's a gun and some mag pouches you can borrow, here's a small stage you can shoot to try it out... We lose a lot of potential shooters getting to step 2.

This is one of the best business card programs I've used and it's a free download

here:

http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=softwa...de=WEB01&node=0

It's the DesignPro Limited Edition. It seems easier to use than the MS Word card

printer option.

You can also use high-gloss photo paper, then cut it with a paper cutter or a steady

hand with scissors/knife. If you print both sides be sure and let it dry good before

feeding it back into the printer.

Even the 18-21 demographic is hard to break into considering they can't own a handgun.

18-21 year olds can own a handgun, they just can't buy one from a federally licensed firearms dealer. Since most persons under 21 still live at a relative address rather than a base address (old IBM 360 coders will get the reference), there is usually a parent who can legally cooperate unless they live in an opressive state like MA or NY with an age 21 requirement.

I'm not sure if this has been attempted or not...but has anyone contacted manufacturers about placing USPSA membership materials inside the boxes that new handguns come in?

You could place a membership flyer in say Glock boxes, Smith and Wesson/Kimber/Springfield 1911's etc..etc...etc...

Just a thought.

Chuck D Posted Today, 10:50 AM

I'm not sure if this has been attempted or not...but has anyone contacted manufacturers about placing USPSA membership materials inside the boxes that new handguns come in?

You could place a membership flyer in say Glock boxes, Smith and Wesson/Kimber/Springfield 1911's etc..etc...etc...

Genius! ;)

Just a thought.

This is a great idea but speaking as someone who is eye-ball deep in corporate America; the manufacture's would probably be more inclined to put something in the boxes that endorsed shorting sports in general than just one of the sports. They don't want to look like they are favoring one over another.... :o

So if there was a more generic flyer listing different pistol games with www site that might go for it.... Maybe...... Of course since the idea was spawned here USPSA/IPSC should be listed first in big text. :D