Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any downside to a raised mag release?

DsWright

Going to be picking up an extended mag release soon for my Range Officer .45.  I know that the raised mag release that makes the mags sit higher can really help with the 9mm and .40 feeding.  But is there any downside to using it n a .45?  I have a bunch of 200 grn LSWC and think it might help those feed and not get the random 3 point jam.

Thoughts?

Make sure you have a really good grip in the gun.

I used to run one, had 3 full mags drop in the very first stage.  Took it off after that stage. 

Some people have goo luck with them, but make sure you test and practice prior to a match.

Think he's talking about the mag catch that holds the mag slightly higher in the gun to get the round closer to in-line with the chamber to aid feeding. Popular with 9 & 40 single stacks, I've not had a problem with 45. 

It depends on the gun.  All the RO and  and Loadeds in 45 at my club use the standard factory mag release and have no problems feeding 200 #68 SWC.  I would check the OAL before I did anything.  I've found that although most claim to be #68 SWC, almost none use the H&G original dies.  I've had to vary OAL by as much as .010" to get various SWCs to load properly.

The second thing to check is your mag feed lips.  The third is the mag manufacturer.  Some make mags for today's higher catch, and some make them mil spec.  For example, my Sig Tacops 45 works flawlessly with Wilson ETM mags (as do my other 45s) but fails using the Tripp Cobra 2 mags.  They sit lower in the frame and the slide does not strip the first round from slide lock.

You could make things worse by using a catch that holds the mag higher, especially if the mag was designed for a higher seating.  BTW, I forget the name, but there is a manufacturer that makes mag catches designed to lower the mag by .010" and .020", if that turns out to be your problem.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

It depends on the gun.  All the RO and  and Loadeds in 45 at my club use the standard factory mag release and have no problems feeding 200 #68 SWC.  I would check the OAL before I did anything.  I've found that although most claim to be #68 SWC, almost none use the H&G original dies.  I've had to vary OAL by as much as .010" to get various SWCs to load properly.

The second thing to check is your mag feed lips.  The third is the mag manufacturer.  Some make mags for today's higher catch, and some make them mil spec.  For example, my Sig Tacops 45 works flawlessly with Wilson ETM mags (as do my other 45s) but fails using the Tripp Cobra 2 mags.  They sit lower in the frame and the slide does not strip the first round from slide lock.

You could make things worse by using a catch that holds the mag higher, especially if the mag was designed for a higher seating.  BTW, I forget the name, but there is a manufacturer that makes mag catches designed to lower the mag by .010" and .020", if that turns out to be your problem.

Dawson makes one that is .010 lower.

Make sure the mag does not hit the ejector. You're raising the mag, you might have to file the lower edge of the ejector if the rear of the mag contacts it after installing the higher catch.

That said, a higher mag catch made my .40 gun work flawlessly. Never needed it on my 9mm or .45 guns.

Thanks for the replies guys, I probably don't NEED my mags to sit higher, shot an outlaw match with it tonight actually and no feeding issues with the 200 gr LSWC.   I am however using metalform mags now, and used mecgar before. My mecgar mags were rather old, and that is probably the issue.  Was just curious if it would actually hurt anything to have it sit higher.

Im looking to get the dawson .190 IDPA length mag release, don't need crazy huge buttons or anything, just a little extra length will help i think.

• 2 weeks later...