Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Ambi Safeties For 2011

EricW

I'm sick and tired of fixing my safeties. The only reason I have ambi's is for safety doing a transfer to shoot weakhanded. I'm rapidly beginning to wonder if the hassle of ambi safeties is worth the convenience and if I should just put on a stock safety and spend my time learning to transfer the gun safely.

What do you think?

Eric,

I understand completely. I've used all of the ambi's that you mentioned but have returned to a one side safety. All of the ambi's rub the top of my strong hand knuckle.

I've seen all of the brands you mentioned broken so no advantage one way or the other there. The roughest (meaning requiring the most cleanup) are King and Swensen. I see more Ed Brown's broken than others but I think that's because they're the most popular.

I just had my 2011 built and I went with a single sided safety because I never remember to use the ambi anyway. I don't practice weak hand as much as I should which is probably because I haven't been seeing a lot of weak hand shooting in the matches I shoot, well that and I am lazy, so why bother?

-ld

I suppose that the need for a an ambi safety for a righty is alot different than for a lefty.

Me being a lefty I have found that I actually have the other problem. I have never broke a saftey. But since I am a lefty, the left side paddle (single sided saftey) was riding on my knuckle. Since I don't use that side, I broke out the trusty dremel and ground the thing near off. :blink: There's a small ledge, but only 1/8" or so.

I like Ed Browns becasue they are wide enough so you can trim/shape them to the width you prefer. They are almost identical to the older SV's which I have broken.

I use both Bul safeties with shields and STI safeties.

The STIs are cool because they are already trimmed, no sharp edges, and are not big. This is what I like, others may have a different opinion.

The shielded safeties were required once I started to realize I was slowing the slide with my thumb while shooting freestyle and weak hand, curiously not strong hand :huh:

The Buls are a dream to fit compared to the swenson.

I just picked up the Cylinder & Slide ambi set from a prize table. Anybody got any feedback on them?

Erik,

We, of course, used them in the pistol smith class I took from C&S. I don't shoot the single-stack enough to say much about them. They fit up nicely. Them seem to be of as good a quality as anything else (I usually put EB Brown's in, as they have more surface area for the competition thumb).

I have Ed Brown wide-ambis in all my 1911s and never had a problem with them.  I've tried the others and find that the Brown's fit my fingers the best.

ed brown is good, but i have to do lots of trimming to keep it from digging into my trigger fingers knuckle(on my right hand, im right handed)

swensons are garbage.. i wonder where they keep all the hot wheels cars they melt down to make them>?

must get some kind of manufacturers discound...or Matel owns Swenson :huh: