Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Autocomp loads

jkrueger

I have searched a bit and found autocomp is suited to high pressure loads, how about less than max? I currently have no reason to load anywhere near 9 major and am able to get the powder pretty cheap. Anybody running relatively mild autocomp loads?

I'm not running it although I have tested it. I got really good accuracy with 5.0 grains under a 115 grain plated bullet loaded at 1.15 COL. That was out of a Para Pro Custom P18.9 with a 5" barrel. It averaged just over 130 PF.

Because I have a post election shit-ton of WAC, I tried some PCC loads. My open pistol load is 6.9 gr. I tried 5 and 4.8 grains which gave 153 and 147 PF in a 16" JP barrel with a 125 gr coated bullet. I am now playing with 4.4 but I won't get to chrono until Sunday. It feels pretty much like my 132 PF N320 load, but dirtier. But, since this a blow back gun, clean is relative.

In open I use a 124 CMJ and WAC and when I went back to shooting Limited I decided to load some milder loads using the 124 CMJ and AC (since I had it) to use as a "shooting" load.  I found 4.8 grs of AC behind a 124 gr. CMJ  gave me right "around" 1,000 fps (950 fps in both my HKP7M13 and my S&W 929 revolver and 1,050 fps in my Glock 17L) in a few different 9mm's and it seemed to burn clean. I figured I could bump it up a bit and get a minor load easily if I wanted but it shot fine so I loaded up some to shoot. Next time I may look at just making it an even 5.0 grs. I also shot some through my 9mm KelTec carbine and they shot well also.

Neal in AZ  

27 minutes ago, Intel6 said:

In open I use a 124 JHP and WAC and  decided to load some milder loads.  I found 4.8 grs of AC behind a 124 gr. CMJ  gave me right "around" 1,000 fps 

Same experience - of course no need to use CMJ's or JHP's for mild loads - can use BB's, etc.    :) 

18 hours ago, jkrueger said:

I have searched a bit and found autocomp is suited to high pressure loads, how about less than max? I currently have no reason to load anywhere near 9 major and am able to get the powder pretty cheap. Anybody running relatively mild autocomp loads?

I have pistol and carbine data for minor loads. If this is the data you are looking for, I can post it here. 

19 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Same experience - of course no need to use CMJ's or JHP's for mild loads - can use BB's, etc.    :) 

I actually started loading this as a super clean load for shooting in my H&K P7M13.  I found exposed base FMJ's still gunked up the gas cylinder and closed base JHP's or CMJ's kept it real clean.  So when I wasn't shooting up all the CMJ's I had I decided to load some up to shoot in the P7M13. Once I did that I tried them in the other guns to see how they were performing.  Yes I know they were very lite (and I should have bumped them up) but they shot OK so I went with it. :unsure: 

I am using 5.3 grs of WAC with 124 grain plated or FMJ in a Glock 17 production, Les Baer SS, and PCC.  Production/SS load is about 134pf, with the PCC higher around 145-150pf.   Performs very well and accurate in all guns and, from what I see, clean.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:02 PM, ChuckS said:

Because I have a post election shit-ton of WAC, I tried some PCC loads. My open pistol load is 6.9 gr. I tried 5 and 4.8 grains which gave 153 and 147 PF in a 16" JP barrel with a 125 gr coated bullet. I am now playing with 4.4 but I won't get to chrono until Sunday. It feels pretty much like my 132 PF N320 load, but dirtier. But, since this a blow back gun, clean is relative.

I chronoed the 4.4 gr load today and saw a 137.5 PF. I am going to try a lighter load when I get the chance. This load shot well.