Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 for a petite woman

Foxbat

I am considering moving my wife to Shadow 2, but she is rather petite.  Does anyone have experience with a petite woman using it?

She tried both 2 and SP-01 and prefers the 01, mainly for the reason of weight and smaller grip.  I consider the 2 a better approach for its improvements.

So - any such experience?  Too much, or just get used to it?

I am not a production shooter, so help me here.  At this time have no CZ guns in my collection.

If she doesn't like the CZ let her get her hands on an M&P with the small backstrap. It's possibly the thinnest / smallest gun in production that's competitive.

An SP-01 Shadow is where I'd steer her for compactness of grip. She's going to have to shoot for years to really find any improvement in a Shadow 2 versus Shadow 1... why do you want to put her in the 2?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Just now, MemphisMechanic said:

If she doesn't like the CZ let her get her hands on an M&P with the small backstrap. It's possibly the thinnest / smallest gun in production that's competitive.

FNS 9L has essentially zero backstrap and is even smaller. Sevigny runs it well enough too. I had one for a short period, the main problem was lack of aftermarket trigger support.

Edited by CarlB86

Why Accu Shadow over Shadow Custom or Target?

The Accu Shadow has the special CZ Custom Barrel Bushing akin to a 1911 style bushing for better lockup and accuracy. It also has a different sight cut I believe.

I think the Shadow Custom/Target just has a few mods internally but no bushing. You could get a Cajun 10X bushing as well to help with the barrel lockup, it’s a cheap upgrade at $60 or so.

shadow target just has an adjustable sight in an lpa cut. many accu shadows have that (mine does) plus the bushing.

shadow custom is just some basic trigger work. again, any used accu shadow you have is also going to have a trigger job more than likely.

with the accu shadow you're getting all of the good things of the other models in one.

another thing to think of is this, is she concerned about her grip on the gun or concerned more about holding 40+ oz of gun out in front of her? if her greater concern is getting a good grip on the pistol i much prefer the grip on the shadow 2 vs the sp01 shadow.

the shadow 2 is roughly 0.25 pounds heavier. i think in time she'll learn to lift the extra quarter pound or so extra versus the sp01 shadow. and have less felt recoil. and have the latest and greatest gun. a new shadow 2 is roughly $1,100. good luck finding a accushadow for that price, even used. (and if you do, buy it especially if it has a lot of extras and an adj rear sight. )

effective technique and a lot of repetition in dry fire will probably resolve all of her concerns. but, you also have a relationship dynamic at play here, so just get her what she wants and will shoot more often.

Edited by rowdyb

100% let her decide. If she's happy, you're happy. Try to find a good bro with both guns and see if you can schedule time to shoot them with the thinnest grips your bro has available.

My experience has been my friends (big hands and small hands) all prefer the Shadow 2 over the Shadow 1. Between the checkering and the grip improvements it's a no brainer. For small hands my experience has been that due to the deeper cut under the beaver tail the Shadow 2 would likely place her finger in a better position on the trigger, especially in DA.