Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy for reloads.

obiwankabaldi

Had an unusual experience. shooting. I was shooting my normal reloads that have always seemed plenty accurate yesterday and had to switch to Blazer aluminum cased ammo (talking 9mm). As soon as I changed up I noticed a drastic tightening of my groups. Same distance bullet weight, etc. What might be the answer regarding this. I was certainly surprised to see such a difference.

Hell, I know the answer to this one and don't even need to hear about his load. Your gun likes Blazer better than your reloads. Now....wasn't that easy? Try to match the Blazer loads as close as possible with your reloads and I be you get close to the same accuracy. Not exactly the same could be better, could be worse, that's why we have all the fun of experimentation.

Edited by bowenbuilt

41 minutes ago, bowenbuilt said:

Hell, I know the answer to this one and don't even need to hear about his load. Your gun likes Blazer better than your reloads. Now....wasn't that easy? Try to match the Blazer loads as close as possible with your reloads and I be you get close to the same accuracy. Not exactly the same could be better, could be worse, that's why we have all the fun of experimentation.

Probably the best answer. Looking up specs for that Blazer ammo now and might run a batch to match it as close as I can. However i am sure that like many said could be anything. Bullet, powder, charge, crimp. I guess I was just curious if there was any one thing that someone knows about that is outstanding.

There are too many factors to be certain but I would side with TDA. Doughnuts to dollars it's velocity related. The factory ammo is travelling faster than the OP's own loads.

Edited by 4n2t0

Doing ladders with a chrono and shooting for groups simultaneously helps a lot to sort this out. Otherwise do 5 shot groups with each incriminate in the loading data for accuracy and stick with the best group for your load.

There's always the possibility you're using a powder that isn't optimal for your caliber or bullet weight.

I have noticed that the lower my standard deviation is on velocity, the tighter the groups are - and it can go from 25 to 7 fps sd within .3 grains.

I've also noted that I tend to get 2 tight sd loads per powder/bullet - usually one low and another higher charged. The higher charged tight sd load tends to shoot better in my pistols.

Also of note - my HK and Sig like different charges for the same 135gr rn bullet. Something to think of if you want to make one load for multiple firearms (either compromise for both, or have 2 best loads, or load for your favorite and the other gets sub-optimal loads)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, obiwankabaldi said:

I guess I was just curious if there was any one thing that someone knows about that is outstanding.

There may be. BUT if you don't provide the details of your load, no one knows what they know that applies to your situation.  

If I were asking this question, I would at minimum include this data:

Pistol Used
Bullet Make and Model, to include weight and profile
Powder and Powder Charge
OAL
Crimp measurement and crimp die used

So for me, it might look something like this:

The pistol was CZ-75 Shadow.  The load was a Precision Delta 124gr JHP loaded with 3.9gr of Bullseye.  OAL is 1.110, and crimp is .378 with a Redding taper crimp die.

That gives people a starting point.  If you are using plated bullets, and you don't know what your crimp is, I already know the answer.  Same for coated lead.  Or it could be that you're using plated, and the FMJ bullets Blazer is using are simply better bullets, and you're never going to see equal accuracy from plated.  Or it could be that you've done no tuning, and you're in a velocity range that's going to produce bad accuracy in that specific pistol with that powder.   Or it could be that you're using coated lead bullets with a Lee FCD.  Or it could be that you're using undersized bullets like Blue Bullets, and they don't fit your barrel well.  It could be ALL sorts of things.  But if you don't tell us what your load and pistol are, there is no way for us to speculate. ;)  

Edited by IDescribe

If you never played with the length and powder charge of your load in increments to find out what makes your gun like your reloads the best, this is the typical result.

Most guys find an overall length all their guns like then figure out how much powder makes "about 130" power factor. This then becomes their production load.

Oftentimes a somewhat hotter load,or a shorter/longer load, or changing powders, or an adjustment to the crimp, or a change to a .356 bullet instead of a .355...

... can result in much more accurate ammo. But  until you do the testing for group size, you'll never know. And factory ammo will probably outperform your loads. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 7/2/2017 at 2:33 PM, bowenbuilt said:

Try to match the Blazer loads as close as possible with your reloads and I be you get close to the same accuracy.

Check OAL of Blazer. Disassemble  Blazer round. Weigh the bullet and check its profile. That's the bullet you want. Weigh the charge if you like and compare it with Lyman data for that bullet type. That MIGHT tell you what powder it is. Otherwise, use the Lyman data fro the best powder type and charge for that bullet. This will work.