Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't Tart Up Your Sights

ErikW

At today's match I saw this gun: orange front blade outlined in blue, rear sight outlined in blue. (Chevy blue, not gun blue.) At other matches I've seen combinations of patterns and colors, including a vertical bar on the rear, and a horizontal bar on the rear.

Stop the insanity! It seems people are willing to have their sights look like the Partridge Family bus in search of speed and accuracy, which they are not acheiving.

Learn to shoot a plain black rear sight with a plain black or fiber optic front. Everything else is just going to hold you back. If you can't "pick up the front sight" you need to work on things like your grip, natural point of aim, and recoil control.

I've never seen any pattern-painted sights on the gun of a shooter the equivalent of USPSA B class or above.

Dude, come on. Don't you know that everyone has to re-invent the wheel for themselves??? :lol:

We need a new show hosted by Jim Scouten - "Pimp My Blaster".... :lol:

Eirk's just upset because he can't keep a set of sights on his gun. Erik, so you know, when most people put sights on their gun, they stay on for a long time. This allows them to add things like paint to them. As the sights get old maybe they need a little pick me up. This is unlike your sights which rarely last long enough to lose that "new sight" smell.

Since I put FO sights on pretty much all my guns, I have come back to plain black on black, esp. for Steel. I have progressed to the point that the FO was becoming distracting on long shots like Outer Limits. Plugged up the hole on my MicroDot and used lots of sight black yesterday at the PROAM, best steel match I have ever shot period. All I saw was the front sight on the target, well, wherever the sight was at the time.... :D It is a vision thing, and I guess I have been able to speed up my vision, The FO now interrupts my vision at speed. I concur with Erik above! B)

Dang, just when I was ready to add pink and green polka dots to my sights ---- along comes Erik to thwart my plans. I figured within six months the dots would become all the rage, and I'd whip out my trusty can of sight black and........

I've never seen any pattern-painted sights on the gun of a shooter the equivalent of USPSA B class or above.

I've seen a glued-on orange-painted front sight on the gun of a Limited GM (and former Junior Standard World Champion) :o

The match I shoot most is a weekly steel match and I seem to end up shooting it right at or after sundown most of the time. We have lights but the steel is only painted at the begining of the match so by the time I get to shoot the steel is grey and even with the lights my front sight can completely disappear on some targets. Otherwise I would agree that black sights are the way to go. For my situation I have to go slutty and splash on some color. ;)

-ld