Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Atlas Open 2011

grantwoodok

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, racer-x said:

In handguns, I use a full synthetic Motor oil (Mobil1, Valvoline or Royal Purple) in 5W-30 above freezing, and 0W-20 if I will be operating below freezing.

0W-20 works better all the time in my AR's and 22's.

I use Red Line 5w-30 synthetic.  It is formulated without polymeric viscosity index improvers, has a ton of moly.  I have found that it is also great as a bore cleaner on a cotton patch. 

During the summer all of my guns get Lubriplate SFL-0 grease.  It is a synthetic food grade grease with excellent antiwear properties, a very low viscosity, and it is non-polar so it does not attract dust.  My CK open gun runs great with it. 

-Unapologetic oil nerd

sorry to change subject but still taking about a Atlas open gun. I just order a Atlas 38 SC open gun and I'm a bit confused about the barrel holes. I told them my wrist were not as strong as they used to be so he suggested just 2 holes instead of 3. Said it would not have as much snap and dot would not move as much. That sounds good so what would 3 holes do ?

On 11/25/2018 at 12:00 PM, tyman1876 said:

Alright, I just finished testing those 5 powders I mentioned before. It was difficult to do it all in one sitting due to Thanksgiving and all that so I was just running out back and testing one after work or when I had a little time. I plan to shoot them all together at some point and I’d also like to get some slow-mo of the gun shooting each but that’ll be another time. Also the notes are stuff that I found important. Obviously they may be different with a different shooter. Don’t take them as the gospel. Hopefully this can help some of you that may want to try a different recipe.

Accurate #7
Caliber: 9mm
COAL: 1.165
Bullet Weight: 124gr Everglades JHP
Primer: Winchester SPP
Charge: 9.6gr
PF: 172
Muzzle Rise: Dot stays in screen.
Dot Tracking: Straight up and down. Little bit of a bounce.
Punch: Moderate
Accuracy: Good
Double Tap: Returns high. Dot had a streak to it .
Other: Meters terrific. Case is close to top but doesn’t spill on press. Loud.

Shooters World Major (Lovex) D037-01
Charge: 9.7gr
PF: 169
Muzzle Rise: Very little rise.
Dot Tracking: Straight up. Returned to zero very well.
Punch: Soft in hand.
Double Tap: Quick and clean.
Other: Apparently it’s temp sensitive. Meters well. Spills easy. Relatively loud.

Silhouette
Charge: 7.7gr
PF: 171
Muzzle Rise: Decent rise to top of screen.
Dot Tracking: Straight up and down. No dip.
Punch: Moderate punch.
Accuracy: Good.
Double Tap: Clean and quick.
Other: Meters great. Spills easy on the press. Not to loud.

HS6
Charge: 8.1gr
PF: 171
Muzzle Rise: Dot rises to top of screen.
Dot Tracking: Slight wobble? Returns a little low.
Punch: Moderate/Heavy
Double Tap: Fast doubles seemed rough compared to others. I would say not great but not terrible either.
Other: Doesn’t seem as loud as other powders. Doesn’t meter the best.

Winchester Auto Comp
Charge: 7.0gr
PF: 169
Muzzle Rise: Pretty good. Not quite to top of screen.
Dot Tracking: Straight up and down. Slight dip.
Punch: Relatively soft.
Accuracy: Good.
Double Tap: A lot of “bounce” on doubles. I had a tendency to shoot high on the second shot.
Other: Not to loud comparatively. Gassy.

I still have some messing around to do but as of right now Lovex will be what I’m shooting. It felt great to shoot and easy to go fast with.

Great information thanks for sharing, with your lovex load how full was the case at 9.7gr.. I hear a lot of good things about this powder, looking to try it on 115gr bullets.. 3n38 is a pain to load.. 

Thanks 

Great information thanks for sharing, with your lovex load how full was the case at 9.7gr.. I hear a lot of good things about this powder, looking to try it on 115gr bullets.. 3n38 is a pain to load.. 
Thanks 

Thank you. I guess I should have mentioned this in the original post but I load on a Hornady LNL right now which has a pretty good snap to it when the shell plate rotates. So the powder spilling probably wouldn’t be quite as big of a deal with other presses I assume.

There’s still some room left, certainly not to the top. I’ll take a picture of a case when I get home this afternoon so you can see what I mean. I can also fill one to 10+ gr which is where I’d guess you’d be at with a 115 and see where that gets you.

2 minutes ago, tyman1876 said:

Thank you. I guess I should have mentioned this in the original post but I load on a Hornady LNL right now which has a pretty good snap to it when the shell plate rotates. So the powder spilling probably wouldn’t be quite as big of a deal with other presses I assume.

There’s still some room left, certainly not to the top. I’ll take a picture of a case when I get home this afternoon so you can see what I mean. I can also fill one to 10+ gr which is where I’d guess you’d be at with a 115 and see where that gets you.

Could you load a resized 9MM case to the very top with Lovex D037-01 (scrape off flat) and then measure that amount please?

I'm curious how it compares to the others I've measured:

full 9mm
powder     case
---------        --------
WAC          12.3
N350           9.4
HS-6          13.9
True Blue  14.2
W572         10.9   *
3N37          10.2
3N38          10.2
AA#7          13.8

* data from other BE user

24 minutes ago, tyman1876 said:

Thanks, that would be great, much appreciated.. Lovex seems to be the holy grail for open. Its not well known due to lack of data, but your post will open the eyes to many. 

I've know of this powder for several years but never had the need to use until now, just placed a deposit for a chaos. 

In my opinion 3n38 is the next best thing but just much of a pain to load. 

Thanks again. 

19 minutes ago, racer-x said:

Could you load a resized 9MM case to the very top with Lovex D037-01 (scrape off flat) and then measure that amount please?

full 9mm
powder     case
WAC          12.3
N350           9.4
HS-6          13.9
True Blue  14.2
W572         10.9   *
3N37          10.2
3N38          10.2
AA#7          13.8

Good idea 

full 9mm
powder     case
WAC          12.3
N350           9.4
HS-6          13.9
True Blue  14.2
W572         10.9   *
3N37          10.2
3N38          10.2
AA#7          13.8

Yeah absolutely. That’s some good data you got. I’ll do that when I get home.

Thanks, that would be great, much appreciated.. Lovex seems to be the holy grail for open. Its not well known due to lack of data, but your post will open the eyes to many. 
I've know of this powder for several years but never had the need to use until now, just placed a deposit for a chaos. 
In my opinion 3n38 is the next best thing but just much of a pain to load. 
Thanks again. 

You’re welcome. I hadn’t even heard of it until maybe a month ago. I loaded up another 100 rounds last night to run a few drills with but my initial thoughts are very positive.

9 hours ago, Slide4949 said:

sorry to change subject but still taking about a Atlas open gun. I just order a Atlas 38 SC open gun and I'm a bit confused about the barrel holes. I told them my wrist were not as strong as they used to be so he suggested just 2 holes instead of 3. Said it would not have as much snap and dot would not move as much. That sounds good so what would 3 holes do ?

That doesn't make any sense to me.  From what I've seen the 38SC have 3 holes and 9major has 2.  One of the advantages to 38SC is being able to generate more gas, but that gas is only helpful if you use it to mitigate recoil... aka use more holes.  Adam should be able to provide you with a good reason if he is suggesting it.

42 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

That doesn't make any sense to me.  From what I've seen the 38SC have 3 holes and 9major has 2.  One of the advantages to 38SC is being able to generate more gas, but that gas is only helpful if you use it to mitigate recoil... aka use more holes.  Adam should be able to provide you with a good reason if he is suggesting it.

More holes equals a snappier recoil.

bluedevil thanks for reply, I told Adam I had a weak wrist and was there any thing different we might do to compensate for that and he said just having 2 holes could help, but he could add the 3rd hole later if need be .I guess it was something to do with recoil ??? Do you have a thought on that

14 minutes ago, Shmella said:

are you speaking from experience or from what youve been told?

I have shot open guns with zero popple holes and they were soft, not as flat but soft. Whereas my Atlas is snappier and feels like it hits the hands harder but is flatter.

full 9mm
powder     case
WAC          12.3
N350           9.4
HS-6          13.9
True Blue  14.2
W572         10.9   *
3N37          10.2
3N38          10.2
AA#7          13.8

13.8 to the rim. Just like AA#7

5dce900755773748beee48a3d600abf0.jpg

Thanks, that would be great, much appreciated..

Here is a pic of 9.7gr. There’s still some room left...

943700502f01d6effaed4e10a918aabc.jpg

In consistency is that powder as fine as silhouette? Hard to tell the grain make up in the photo.

Loading on a 1050 if you get a crushed primer or such silhouette will drain the entire case into your shell plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In consistency is that powder as fine as silhouette? Hard to tell the grain make up in the photo.

Loading on a 1050 if you get a crushed primer or such silhouette will drain the entire case into your shell plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably hard to tell here too but Lovex is certainly finer than Silo.

9827988b1f4822740336f250017e0b40.jpg

9 hours ago, Slide4949 said:

Anyone who has recently got a Atlas Chaos 38 SC, did it have 2 holes or 3?

My Chaos 38sc has two holes and shoots just fine. The only thing that I did was have Adam send a couple different recoil springs. I like the 8 1/2 pound spring a lot better then the spring that came with the gun. I received my gun in February of 2018.