Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

California's Ban On Hi Cap And Drop Tests

1hotrod

I really hate this hi cap ban, and double stack gun drop test.

I've always wanted to build up a race gun, ever since I was in college, but you guys know these things aren't cheap.

Now that I can finally afford one, I find out all these parts are banned now. All I wanted is some type of STI/SVI frame with 5 hi cap mags, so I can shoot an IPSC open.

My choices are very limited, I could buy an STI gun now that has passed the California drop test, but that will cost me 2400 bucks, then convert it to an open.

But I am still screwed on the hi cap mags, come on I am suppose to shoot IPSC open with a 10 rounders!!!

Explain "drop test" please. I've never understood how so many anti-gun laws can get passed in such a beautiful state. Why do you think Kalifornia has so many anti-gun laws on the books?

Drop test and function test was passed a few years ago to basically stop saturday night specials. Each company will have to submit 3 guns per configuration for testing and a big wad of cash. The gun has to pass a few drop test and must function 100%. Well, most of the saturday night specials passes, while some high dollar guns didn't. So if you want to approve say a XD in 9, 40, and 45, that's 9 guns that have to be submitted. If they all came with a different slide say stainless, those have to be tested too.

If you look at who has been writing these laws, they primarily come from 2 locations, LA and Oakland. Don Perata (Oakland) is the one who told a junior Olympic shooter to go ahead and move out of California because her Olympic pistol was considered an assault weapon.

Enough California bashing please. I know for the most part it is not directed at anyone but for those of us who were born here, live and work here and cannot just move the comments get old real fast.

This is a reply that I got from my State Senator (John Campbell) when I wrote a letter protesting the microstamping Assembly Bill 352 that has been passed to the Senate (All you Ca residents have already done so, right???)

"Thanks you for your recent letter regarding AB 352 which would require specified semiautomatic pistols to e equipped with microscopic identifying markings which are transferred to each cartridge case when the firearm is fired. I understand your concerns.

AB 352 is currently in the Senate. I believe this bill will have a harmful impact on current law enforcement efforts as well as the manufacturers of ammunition used by our nation’s armed services and ;local law enforcement agencies.

Criminals will easily defeat the technology. As with “ballistic imaging’, criminals can and will easily defeat the ‘micro-stamping’ technology by simply filing away or scratching with a steel/wire brush the surface of the firearm with the laser engraving has been placed/ Criminals will do this for the same reason they deface the serial number on firearms to avoid detection by law enforcement. Criminals will be able to confuse the police and send them on “wild goose” chases by simply throwing around at crime scenes expended cartridge casings (having a make, model and serial number imprinted on them) from other firearms.

Mandating this technology will dramatically increase the price of firearms for all consumers, including municipalities and the State of California purchasing firearms for law enforcement agencies. This is because the firearms for the civilian, law enforcement and military markets are all manufactured at the same time on the same machines using the same equipment and manufacturing processes. The cost would have to be spread across all products in all markers necessarily resulting in significantly higher prices for all products.

For these reasons, I expect to oppose AB 352 if it comes to a vote in the Senate.

"

This guy gets it. But not all the politicans do. All we can do here is vote as we feel we should, be vocal about opposition (we have a gov. that may listen) and try to educate people about firearms.

And to make it worse in 2006 they will ban the sale of any pistol capable of firing with the mag removed.  Among others, can you say 1911.  :angry:

Where did you get this info and where can I find it? I'm not challenging you or anything like that, but if this is true I'm off to the gun shop with a quickness to get me a few things. Thanks, JOe

And to make it worse in 2006 they will ban the sale of any pistol capable of firing with the mag removed.  Among others, can you say 1911.  :angry:

Where did you get this info and where can I find it? I'm not challenging you or anything like that, but if this is true I'm off to the gun shop with a quickness to get me a few things. Thanks, JOe

Here's the law goes into effect 1/1/06 Second paragraph under "necessity"

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/cliisor.pdf

This site will have most of the ca laws

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html

Guest Larry Cazes

Read it carefully. It only applies to guns that are being submitted by a manufacturer to the CA DOJ to be certified under the requirement for "safe handguns" for sale in california. Anything already here is ok as well as anything already on the list......Not much better, though, in the long run. Buy 'em now while they are still available. :(

Read it carefully. It only applies to guns that are being submitted by a manufacturer to the CA DOJ to be certified under the requirement for "safe handguns" for sale in california. Anything already here is ok as well as anything already on the list......Not much better, though, in the long run. Buy 'em now while they are still available. :(

This is the section that worries me, the yearly renewal:

© A handgun model may be removed from the Roster for any of the following reasons:

(1) If the annual maintenance fee is not paid as set forth in subdivision ( B ) of Penal Code § 12131.

(2) If it is determined that the handgun models submitted for testing were modified in any way from those that were sold after certification was granted.

(3) If it is determined that the handgun is in fact unsafe based upon further testing.

Just a note to clear up the discussion on the Calif testing requirements. We are currently manufacturing a hi cap 1911 pistol based on the STI frame and will be submitting it for California approval within the month so we are pretty up to date on the process............

To approve a new handgun for sale in Calif it must pass the drop testing procedure. You must submit 3 handguns, 5 mags, a couple cases of ammo, and a fairly large testing fee. After the gun passes the testing portion the guns and results are forwarded to the DOJ and if they accept the results the gun will be added to the approved list and they are legal for sale in Calif. If any changes are made to the gun (any changes, including such things as the finish, the color of the grips, bushing vs bull barrel, etc, etc, etc) they must be reapproved as a separate model. However you may petition the state to allow you to only pay the yearly listing fee (instead of a complete new test) if you can prove the changes do not effect the mechncial operation of the pistols.

Beginning next year any new handguns that are submitted for test must have a loaded chamber indicator before being accepted for testing. Beginning in 2007 all new handguns submitted for approval must have both a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect device that prevents the gun from being fired without a magazine inserted. Neither, at this time, apply to guns already listed as approved.

If at any time a pistol is dropped from the list ( and there are a lot of reasons they can be dropped) then the manufacturer must resubmit the pistol for approval and the pistols must comply when the requirements in place at the time of the new test.

Hope this helps.............

Bob Hostetter

Bar Sto Pistols