Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Muzzle device restrictions?

My Google skills are not working today. I can find restrictions that limit rifle muzzle brake/compensator sizes, but I can't find anything about Pistol Caliber Carbine muzzle device sizes, for any of the shooting originations.

I found a comp I like, but it's .90" dia. I'm wondering if I should stick with a JP or SLR that are .84" dia.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

USPSA Multigun rules, for everything other than Open class, limit rifle compensators to 1" x 3".  Appendix C pictures where to measure, as the 3.00" limit is from the end of the muzzle, not the back of the compensator.

Edited by MAC702
37 minutes ago, toothandnail said:

I've heard - to specifically outlaw the JP tank brake.

I wouldn't argue that, but I would also guess that it keeps out suppressors so that argument never even has to be made. Also keeps people from making bigger devices that present other issues for stage design, safety, etc.

43 minutes ago, Alvin said:

And why did they want to outlaw that particular comp?

At that time, and up until recently, there was nothing that compared - this is all 2nd hand info, it was before my time shooting competitively 

Edited by toothandnail

WHOOOOOOAAAAA.....WAIT A MINUTE, JUST WAIT ONE MINUTE!!!!!

Check your rules for PCC.......in USPSA there are NO limits concerning the use of a muzzle break device other than no suppressors. In the 3 Gun Nation rule rule......it may state something about a 1 x 3 setup, HOWEVER......if it is still in the rule book, it will be removed shortly. 

To be clear....these are the rules for PCC competition, not your 223 or 308 rifles for 3 gun or multigun.

Relax.  The thread is a natural progression of someone being concerned that there MIGHT be a rule that could outlaw a device he is looking at.  Someone mentions it would be doubtful that even if a rule came about that it would outlaw something smaller than 1x3".  Someone asked where the 1x3" comes from.  It was answered and discussed.  In reality, the OP was answered quickly, with the rest of the thread being a relevant conversation.

To continue the thread, with the larger bore diameter of the typical PCC, it doesn't seem likely that a muzzle device would ever get limited to a smaller diameter than allowed on varmint rifles and battle rifles in other disciplines from the same sanctioning body.

Edited by MAC702

I Think it has to do more with the bushmaster y comp

during the AWB postban rifles couldn't have flash hiders or threaded muzzles

so bushmaster and others sold rifles with pinned and welded comps, and the Y comp was under 1"x3"

The history is that someone deemed the JP tank brake not "tactical" and rather than call it out specifically, they came up with dimensions. It used to be 1" x 3" period....overall length being 3". Now it is 3" from the end of the barrel.

And well.....as this is a PCC forum, it was one of those.....well, look at the rules things that pertains to PCC, not 3 gun. I would seriously doubt that you'll see any restrictions, however, I've seen stranger things happen in USPSA

In the early days of USPSA 3-Gun there was Open and Limited class.  Open was pretty much run what you brung and Limited was Iron sights etc.  The JP tank brake was very good ( I had one and occasionally got hung up moving out of a port)  and common in Open and I believe it is still legal in that division.  Limited kind of morphed into "Tactical Optic"  and that was the origin of the 1 x 3 rule.