Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Recommendation

harleyfan

I'd take whatever you've currently got and go shoot a few USPSA matches.  That way you can see what other people are shooting, probably try out some of their guns, and get a better idea of what you want, or even decide if you want to stick with the discipline before spending a lot of money.

The most popular Limited gun is a 2011, but lots of people shoot Glocks, Tanfos, CZs, etc.

58 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

I'd take whatever you've currently got and go shoot a few USPSA matches.  That way you can see what other people are shooting, probably try out some of their guns, and get a better idea of what you want, or even decide if you want to stick with the discipline before spending a lot of money.

The most popular Limited gun is a 2011, but lots of people shoot Glocks, Tanfos, CZs, etc.

I agree with this, don't make a decision based on internet advice :blink:, if you're shooting SSP then shoot Production, if you're shooting ESP, then load up your mags and shoot Limited. After a couple of matches you'll have a better idea of which division you want to play in. If you want to shoot major then your choice is between .40 and .45. Starting out it's sometimes better to buy a good used pistol. Lots of them for sale and you get more gun for your money. Then after shooting a season you'll know exactly what you want then you can get a pistol that is the best fit. Above all, have fun and don't obsess about the gear.

I agree with this, don't make a decision based on internet advice :blink:, if you're shooting SSP then shoot Production, if you're shooting ESP, then load up your mags and shoot Limited. After a couple of matches you'll have a better idea of which division you want to play in. If you want to shoot major then your choice is between .40 and .45. Starting out it's sometimes better to buy a good used pistol. Lots of them for sale and you get more gun for your money. Then after shooting a season you'll know exactly what you want then you can get a pistol that is the best fit. Above all, have fun and don't obsess about the gear.

Sounds like good advice! Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

don't make a decision based on internet advice

If you want to shoot major then your choice is between .40 and .45.

Great advice.

Also, don't forget the alternative of shooting Limited with a 9mm (Minor).

Some advantages (cost, recoil, more rounds, etc) - not all disadvantages.   :) 

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Great advice.

Also, don't forget the alternative of shooting Limited with a 9mm (Minor).

Some advantages (cost, recoil, more rounds, etc) - not all disadvantages.   :) 

But then you have to wear hipster skinny-jeans and eat vegan meals. Honestly, its irresponsible to recommend limited minor to anyone who is interested in buying a new gun. If you already have a high-cap 9mm, it's an ok place to start while you learn, but unless you are really bad at math, you will figure out quickly that limited minor is a lost cause.

I would see what people are shooting at the local matches (so you can get help/advice/parts and try stuff first). STI Edge or CZ tacsport are both great choices depending on what you shoot now and what you want to shoot in the future. Tanfo also makes good guns but I don't know nuthin' about them.

Realistically, .40 is the ONLY choice if you want to be competitive in Limited. (unless you are in a mag restricted state)

I'm in Texas. If we're mag restricted, I'm in big trouble! I think the 40 is the way to go.

23 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

But then you have to wear hipster skinny-jeans and eat vegan meals. Honestly, its irresponsible to recommend limited minor to anyone who is interested in buying a new gun. If you already have a high-cap 9mm, it's an ok place to start while you learn, but unless you are really bad at math, you will figure out quickly that limited minor is a lost cause. FACT

I would see what people are shooting at the local matches (so you can get help/advice/parts and try stuff first). STI Edge or CZ tacsport are both great choices depending on what you shoot now and what you want to shoot in the future. Tanfo also makes good guns but I don't know nuthin' about them. Only two to bother looking at.

40 is the only way to go. Edge or TS are both totally competitive and available for under 2k. Doing it again I would probably recommend the 2011 if you have any intention of shooting open down the road, so that the grip is the same. But my TS has been 100% reliable and stupid accurate, not to mention it gets 21 reloadable with no issues whatsoever.

40 is the only way to go. Edge or TS are both totally competitive and available for under 2k. Doing it again I would probably recommend the 2011 if you have any intention of shooting open down the road, so that the grip is the same. But my TS has been 100% reliable and stupid accurate, not to mention it gets 21 reloadable with no issues whatsoever.

I have an STI in 9 mm now (dcv limited) which I use for 3 gun. Also have a Cz 75 spo1 shadow target custom. I think I will sell the Cz and buy an STI edge in 40.

I have both a 2011 and a CZ 75 Tactical Sport in 40 S&W.  Both run 100% reliably.  Both can be converted to Open guns if desired.  I've done it; however, I'll say converting the TS to Open is a lot more expensive, and you have to make compromises.  If you want to move to Open, starting with a 2011 for Limited makes the most sense.

Sticking strictly with Limited for the moment, I think the TS is the superior choice.  The ergonomics are better, at least for me, and the bore sits lower.  I'm quicker on my second shot with the TS, simply because the muzzle doesn't rise as much (180gr @ 172PF).  It is also less expensive at $1100.  It will run right out of the box.  You might have to do dome tweaking on an Edge.  It comes with three mags.  Buy a fourth and get four base pads.  That adds another $250.  Add a Dawson FO front sight ($50) and you are good to go.

BTW, TS mags work right out of the box.  With STI mags, you have to tune them.  If you go with a 2011 in 40, your best mag bets are first gen Infinity mags with TTI guts and pad, or MBX.  I haven't had to adjust an MBX mag yet.

28 minutes ago, harleyfan said:

Thank you. since I am already shooting an STI, I may stick with that. Grip on my Cz is a little small for my large hands.

The TS is not the same frame, even remotely, to the CZ you have. The frame is significantly larger. 

Give the CZ TS Orange in .40 a hard look.  It's essentially a Czechmate in Limited configuration with superior grip geometry.  They're trickling in and availible around $1,600-$1,700.

I grabbed one in 9mm primarily for 3-Gun but ran it in Limited Minor for a couple of matches.  My .40 shows up tomorrow.

IMG_0962.JPG

I came back to shooting early last Summer with a Glock 34 in Production. I shot one match with it, then sold it.

While at that match I saw an STI Edge, and thought, that's the gun for me. I bought a new one in 9mm, and have been shooting it in Limited/Minor ever since. I also bought a new STI DVC Open and will switching back and forth this coming season.

The Edge is flawless in operation. It easily controls recoil, and is very accurate. Not to mention it's killer looks. I call it Argyle. -_-

IMG_0630.JPG

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:53 PM, js1130146 said:

Realistically, .40 is the ONLY choice if you want to be competitive in Limited. (unless you are in a mag restricted state)

In a larger sense, yes, but I would think it rather depended upon a persons long range goals. if you wish to have fun at the local level and keep it there then Limited/Minor is a good way to go. Like Jack said, 9mm offers lower cost, more rounds, less recoil.

At my club's last match there were 28 entrants in Limited. Only 6 shot Major.

Edited by MikieM

7 minutes ago, MikieM said:

If you wish to have fun at the local level and keep it there then Limited/Minor is a good way to go. Like Jack said, 9mm offers lower cost, more rounds, less recoil.

I 100% agree with this. I'm not talking down on anyone running minor. It makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways.

But to be truly competitive with the upper echelon you have to be running .40 (or .357 sig I suppose).

50 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

I 100% agree with this. I'm not talking down on anyone running minor. It makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways.

But to be truly competitive with the upper echelon you have to be running .40 (or .357 sig I suppose).

Absolutely.

20 hours ago, Ontos said:

Give the CZ TS Orange in .40 a hard look.  It's essentially a Czechmate in Limited configuration with superior grip geometry.  They're trickling in and availible around $1,600-$1,700.

I grabbed one in 9mm primarily for 3-Gun but ran it in Limited Minor for a couple of matches.  My .40 shows up tomorrow.

IMG_0962.JPG

Whats with the retained magazine pouch on your back side? Also I thought CZ's had to start hammer down?