Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-Power Jack

Just sold one of my two TruBor's to a member who told me there are

NO MORE TRUBOR's   :huh:

STI doesn't list them anymore, and Brazos lists them under "discontinued models".    :mellow:

Not on Dawson Precision's website anymore, either.

ONLY the new $3,500 STI Open gun.

IF YOU WANT ONE, hurry, Brazos has a sale on their current stock of TruBor's

for only $2500 ...    :bow:

Great entry gun - wish it weren't so - sorry to see the price of getting into OPEN

bump up from $2800 to $3500 ...    :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, BallisticianX said:

Common business practice, minimize models to promote sales of the flagship model. Also producing less models/options simplifies production and increases availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common, maybe, but ... fooey!

It is "fooey". But is commonplace. It usually happens if sales of the new model doesn't meet projections. They look at it as all the time and money invested into design &prototyping needs to be recouped to show profit. If it's not because the other affordable option is still outpacing sales they force the hand of consumers by discontinuing the affordable model. Of course this could also hurt overall sales if there are other brand options the budget minded consumers could be swayed to. In this case CK Arms has that option to us. So it may prove catastrophic for STI in the end. STI revamped their distributor ship structure when it transitioned to employee owned. Subsequently it cut back available dealers across the country. Now there is less places able to get their products. That was not good move in my opinion, nor is leaving a void in the product line by axing the Tru-Bore. We shall see......

It is "fooey". But is commonplace. It usually happens if sales of the new model doesn't meet projections. They look at it as all the time and money invested into design &prototyping needs to be recouped to show profit. If it's not because the other affordable option is still outpacing sales they force the hand of consumers by discontinuing the affordable model. Of course this could also hurt overall sales if there are other brand options the budget minded consumers could be swayed to. In this case CK Arms has that option to us. So it may prove catastrophic for STI in the end. STI revamped their distributor ship structure when it transitioned to employee owned. Subsequently it cut back available dealers across the country. Now there is less places able to get their products. That was not good move in my opinion, nor is leaving a void in the product line by axing the Tru-Bore. We shall see......

• Or sales are week vs the DVC open and dosn't justify using production capacity
  • Or everybody hacking the True-Bore slides up to reduce weight means that the state of the market has moved past the True-Bore configuration 

41 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I don't know - seems like an awful lot of people here on BE like TruBors :) 

Yes.. but neither of us have visibility on the sales VS production capacity #'s that STI uses to make their decisions on. 

I don't shoot open, but I have been in sales, and the logic behind STI's decision is very sound. Consider the fact there are X number of Open shooters in the sport.

At a certain point in time, the group that is participating in Open have purchased the model of gun they intend to use for whatever reason.

STI understands it can sell X number of guns, no matter how good they are.

Since humans tend to want the next next shiny mouse trap, buying an upgrade or those looking for a new gun will want something besides a Trubor,

New shooters tend to be younger and will want something different then the dinosaur crowd.

At some point a company better be making that new product, or they are going out of business because company B is looking to get the new market or upgrades.

Very few of us would want to keep buying the same model of truck when the original wears out. No one would go out and buy the same color, shape, interior, or size every time. We like new toys, and I'm sure STI saw sales slipping and a need to consolidate manufacturing costs and inventory. The Eagle is also gone, and so is the .40 Trojan. I would be watching for a new platform in the near future, and perhaps that would be in addition to the DVC line. Companies that do not adjust and bring out new gear and gadget die off, no matter how good the product is.

(BTW, I'll be ready to snatch up a used Trubor when the stampede to buy different starts,,,lol,,,lol)

Edited by mont1120

I'd look at the overall market trend for firearms right now anyway.  Tactical is the big player, comps on 9mm with slide mounted optics are the rage for glocks.  They were smart to increase the DVC line up to compete in the tactical market.  People have and want to spend money on high end items instead of entry level products these days. I'm sure the trubore saw a decline, maybe they will bring out an improved option to compete for the lower end open division but I doubt it.  Most people won't shoot stock STIs in competition, so why offer a factory base gun if half the parts are going to be changed out/ milled and refinished. 

10 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've been shooting my 2 TruBor's for ten years, with just a slide racker added ...   :wub:

Wasn't claiming you can't, but that isn't today's trend in firearms.  Majority of people want to customize the system to their wants.  The AR market is a perfect example of this.  Why are their 100+ ambi safety manufacturers for ARs?  

Glad I got my Trubor in Oct. it would have been a longer wait to get into open if I had to get something more pricy. With some of the experiences I've been very close to with some "popular" builders, I'm really happy I made this choice.