Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter Who Wont Paste

KentG

Hell, one of them sits back on his ass and either sleeps, or pretends to sleep, until it's his turn to shoot.

That pisses me off just thinking about it!! I'd have to "pretend" to not have seen his chair as I "accidentally" kick it out from under him.

Seriously though, there's absolutely no reason not to be helping out. If everyone did nothing, there would be no place to shoot. :wacko:

at the recent nj steel challenge match, the shooter had to go down range and paint the targets after he shot. i didnt really like it b/c i think it slowed the match down...but at least everyone participated in painting.

I don't like it when people don't help out. I was at the above mentioned match and as far as I could see, everyone was helping. I saw Bruce Piatt clip board in hand, recording times. He was the last one off the stage as he was down range painting target for the next group. After the match, he was lending his guns to new a new shooter, showing them the ropes.

I think it has more to do with how you are as a person, then how you are as a shooter.

George

I think there is a cultural misunderstanding on the part of *some* people as to what constitutes "contributing to the sport" :

1. Offering tutition based training courses is not a "contribution to the sport" unless you are donating the classes.

2. Selling products is not a "contibution to the sport"

3. Winning matches is not a "contribution to the sport"

4. Being sponsored by a gun company is not a "contribution to the sport"

Pasting targets; signing up for a shift as an RO; building stages; handling match registrations; etc. are all contributions to the sport.

The people that I see who don't tape are the same ones that arrive at the match right went it starts (i.e. don't help setup), don't tape or do squat during the match, and leave early (i.e. don't help take stuff down). Some of them are the prima donnas who think they are the world's gift to shooting (they aren't) and that "working" is beneath them. Others are just your garden-variety lazy types.

I was RO'ing at the Nationals last year and there were a couple of squads that had the "I'm not taping" types. Most of the time, someone in the squad informed the ROs before hand, so we made sure that they taped. If we saw a shooter who wasn't taping, we made sure to inform them of their obligations.

I'm not trying to hijack anyone's thread but with all the negatives out there I felt compelled to mention a positive.

I was at a really nice (5 stages set up when you got there, 150 round) local match in Louisiana today and everything was going along fine until the sky opened up with one stage left to shoot. There were shade tents set up in every bay that gave some protection but after a few minutes it became obvious that the rain was just getting worse. Everyone headed back to the main pavillion for cover, the match director called the match, and everyone started gearing down and packing up to leave.

I'm usually pretty good about helping out and doing what I can but I was damp, hot, tired, I had a two hour drive home ahead of me, and I was just generally ready to get on the road. There was some talk of tear down but for the most part everyone was just milling around until I looked back down range and saw Andrew Bruns walking around the stages tearing down completely by himself. Talk about your class acts, the guy had no raingear, he was drenched, he wasn't worrying about the rest of us or waving for help, he was just working his butt off and I don't even think this was his club. I tell you, the guy completely shamed me without saying a word and I couldn't get back down range to help fast enough. In just a minute there were fifteen more guys out there in the rain tearing down the various stages and before you knew it, everything was put away.

I've been a match director long enough to know that it doesn't always work but sometimes just setting a good example can be a powerful thing. I don't think he reads this forum but if any of you know Andrew, give him a pat on the back the next time you see him. He's earned it.

John

100% sure way to get the NON Paster to paste targets...............

after figuring out the LAZY S.O.B./D.O.B. is a non-paster, get among the other squad members and DO NOT PASTE the targets of the shooter before him/her.

RO will be yelling "NEED PASTERS" or something like that... ect, ect, ect...

At our club/local matches we try to have 5 shooters in a squad.....

1 RO....and we take turns on this with the timer

1 RO with clip board

1 brass rat

2 resetters of steel and pasters of targets...

If we have more squad members it goes just that much better as they will do their part in what needs to be done.

One good time of the afore mentioned "tactical, Paste or else" and that problem is over for a good while.

Hopalong

NOT a mean person but HATE Lazy/Non helping shooters !!!!! <_<

The practice of picking up brass for the person who just shot seems to have been lost at all the local matches I go to - people now just pick up their own.

When I first started in '95 and for quite a few years afterwards, the person who just shot brass was always picked up, the RO made sure that someone was assigned the task, like they would to tape and reset the steel.

I haven't seen anyone pick up brass that wasn't their own in a few years in this area. A minor irritation when I was shooting my .45, but no issue at all with my current .40 Limited gun.

The state of my knee and hip means taping is my main contribution. I have a hard enough time picking up brass after a practice session and I'm already limping by the end of a 5 stage match.

I hate that John brought Bryant with him and that damn tape gun.  I wanted to tape some targets too.

Hehe - Try pasting around Harmon Greer... You have to get a shoulder under him to root him out of the way while running toward a target.. Still not as fast as GM Jerry M though.

I always paste and set steel. I do not pick up brass at matches any more. I specifically buy .40 brass in bulk so it costs about $.01 each so I don't have to bother during a match. I suspect the 9mm major folks don't go out of their way either.

A little drift here, but David wrote:

"The practice of picking up brass for the person who just shot seems to have been lost at all the local matches I go to - people now just pick up their own.When I first started in '95 and for quite a few years afterwards, the person who just shot brass was always picked up, the RO made sure that someone was assigned the task, like they would to tape and reset the steel. "

In the VA/MD section, this practice has stopped altogether. Many of the larger competitions are now designated "lost brass" for the reason that picking up brass really slows down the match. At my match, time is critical since we are an indoor match & have to keep to a tight schedule of 6 shooters per hour through 4 stages. No picking up brass is allowed.

The upside to this is: speed of the match & convenience + picking up brass in mud/cut grass over a large field course is not at all easy to do in a hurry.

Downside is: it makes .45 & .38 Super (all varieties) less attractive since all match brass is lost. Some fired .45 ACP is up to $50/k; 38 super is more costly still.

I am not taking a position on this since I shoot .40 & 9mm primarily. Perhaps this thread should be split off & merged with the many threads addressing lost brass.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise

On a similiar note, I've seen a club call their matches "lost brass," then the MD let a few people come in and collect the brass then charge them for it. These folk were NOT shooters at the club, either. As far as I know the money just "disappeared," but this club didn't give any accounting of its finnances to its members, either.

I know this is the "hate" forum but still seems like a good place to mention the OTHER folks. The workers.

Anyone who has worked A4 has run into the Louisiana squad that comes to a stage with all their score sheets in order, in the order that they want to shoot. They have a schedule for tapers and painters in their squad, and more than once they've brought ice and cold towels for the R.O.'s ! Then they thank us for working the stage for them.

Folks don't get better than that.

I believe this is usually the squad with Max Michel Sr., Mark Mosely (sp), etc.

Al

Brassing for other people stopped when .40 brass got cheap. Soon as those folks decided they couldn't be bothered to pick it up, it justified them (in their minds) from not picking any up for anybody else..

Our range has a mandatory pick-up-all-the-brass rule and you should hear the whining. Ten years ago, long before the rule, you'd automatically get almost all your brass back as soon as scoring was complete..

:blink:

I just presume that major matches are lost brass type. I will try to scarf a few 45 pieces if its convieneint but most shooters dont seem concerned with it at major matches.

What gets me about the non pasters is you KNOW they KNOW they are pissing off everyone else in the squad and dont care. You KNOW that some of them have read this thread, what I want to KNOW is why none of them will man up and try to do better. Or for the more smarmy ones at least tell us why your too good to pick up a box of pasters. I can bet the farm the guy I refer to has read this thread or at least the first post in it.

My contribution to a match is to either score keep or paste because I can’t pick brass my hip and make it quite difficult as it is. It does make me mad to see people sit around and smoke while others are working hard to keep the matches moving along. Steve Anderson and Flexmoney put on great matches and the guys that shoot them are good too but every now and then there will be someone who just doesn’t help on a squad and that gets everyone bunched up and make for a long day.

I know that this thread has a focus on pasting, but bluntly pasting is probably the easiest thing to do at a shoot. You stand upright, and it isn't physically demanding in the least. I usually leave that job for the older boys to deal with. Brassing at clubs and setting steel is much harder. Resetting goofy props that run down ramps etc are another goody. At our local level there are very few who don't help out - I guess we are lucky or they feel that when in Rome.