Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I pay to change??

MissionaryMike

SVI Grip Texture for Racing  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should I change?

• No, the "tactical" texture will offer enough grip and better grip adjustment.
    • Yes, don't be a cheap sissy.

1 hour ago, MissionaryMike said:

It's their least aggressive.

Holy crap!  That grip is perfect for me. I can't even imagine a more aggressive texture. I used silicon carbide with 80 grit on my STIs and that's plenty for me. 

Edited by 72stick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have played with the regular micropockets and think they are completely silly. They are so smooth they don't do anything at all for me, gripping as hard as I do when I'm shooting they still feel slick. If I got a metal grip it would be aggressive, no question at all. In my opinion the only reason to get a regular texture grip would be because you like the way it looks more than the smooth ones.

And I have tender little scientist hands.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I have played with the regular micropockets and think they are completely silly. They are so smooth they don't do anything at all for me, gripping as hard as I do when I'm shooting they still feel slick. If I got a metal grip it would be aggressive, no question at all. In my opinion the only reason to get a regular texture grip would be because you like the way it looks more than the smooth ones.

And I have tender little scientist hands.

You think these pockets are completely silly?

IMG_1132.JPG

17 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

Ok, Trace, I'm going to trust you on this one.  I ain't no Chris Tilley....he's not regular folk.

I shot locals and NC sectional with Chris last year and he does not run the aggressive grip on his guns.

Edited by 3gunDQ

These are the reactions I was referring to earlier. The micropockets dont seem to offer much other than cosmetics just by looking at them, Looks very smooth. But again you have some (72Stick) who swear they are as rough as a coral bed and wouldnt want anything more aggressive.....

I think no matter what each person's preference is, we should all be grateful for the variety of grips available to the shooter. It's obvious that each of us has a personal preference and/or a certain tolerance to the aggressive milling. Heck, some people don't even like metal grips at all. 

Edited by MissionaryMike

12 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

I think no matter what each person's preference is, we should all be grateful for the variety of grips available to the shooter. It's obvious that each of us has a personal preference and/or a certain tolerance to the aggressive milling. Heck, some people don't even like metal grips at all. 

I agree, Im trying to make the point that you wont know until you try it yourself. 3gunDQ says stay away from aggressive and tactical is where its at, Gooldy says tactical is for wussies. you wont know yourself until you feel it in person.

I agree, Im trying to make the point that you wont know until you try it yourself. 3gunDQ says stay away from aggressive and tactical is where its at, Gooldy says tactical is for wussies. you wont know yourself until you feel it in person.

Yes, to both of these

I had the aggressive option on an SVI steel grip and didn't like it. Bead blasted it down in stages and still didn't like it.

It went from too sharp to too slippery very quickly. The problem seems to be the large surface areas between the spikes.

They are very very slippery.

I am now going to fill the pockets with 60 grit silicon carbide.

This is after much experimentation with grip tape stuck on top of the spikes.

Overall I find that the best choice for me is where I am able to correct my grip after the draw - the original spikes prevent that.

I played around with my new bedazled open gun last night with a PT Evo grip and their aggressive must not be nearly as sharp as Infinity's. I thought it was well textured but wasnt painful at all. And I have desk hands. I dryfired (more like walked around my house with it in my hands and pointed at things) last night for at least 2 hours and my little girly hands are still typing this with no pain or cuts this morning. I practiced Draws and some reloads and thought it was a good amount of grip but cant be nearly as aggressive as SV because it wasnt uncomfortable at all. Also the "needles" are shallower near the top than the bottom. Where  your thumb and index finger would come across the grip is not as aggressive as where the meat of your hand would sit. So long story short tell infinity to use an Evo grip lol.

On 1/17/2017 at 2:32 PM, MissionaryMike said:

I have a pistol on order from SVI that is being built exclusively for USPSA Limited.  I ordered it w/ the tactical micropockets, which is their medium texture.  I just didn't want to go to aggressive right off the bat.  I'm not sure why, but I'm having a little remorse and wondering if I should have gone w/ the aggressive texture.  Will the tactical texture offer enough grip during those sweaty summer months in the mid-atlantic/northeast, or should I pay the $100 and change it to the cheese graters?

Mike. Brandon sent me 3 grips to try out before I settled on one. Micro pocket, tactical and the aggressive. I went with the tactical grip. The aggressive grip was very aggressive to the point of it feeling like points of nails sticking you. I guess some people get used to it. And there's no point in getting it if you sand them down. If you haven't felt the tactical it is pretty aggressive itself. Almost equal to other brands aggressive grips. I think you'll be happy with the tactical. If you are that undecided call Casey or Brandon and ask them to send you the sample grips for you to try. Tiffany had them to me in 2 days after talking with her and confirming my address. The tactical is more than enough aggressive. You must be getting close cause I am almost 8 months in and I know you couple months in front of me. 

I'm pretty sure that remaining with the original decision of the tactical micropockets is gtg.  However, I did go ahead and call Infinity to request some grip samples.  I've already received a FEDEX shipment notification.  I want to be absolutely sure.

I have 2 infinity aggressive signature grips. One of them had the sharp points slightly knocked down with an emery finger nail board in only a few areas by the previous owner. It is still quite sharp but not like the original on my other pistol. If you go with the aggressive you could always tone it down a bit. I prefer the original aggressive personally. However I have had to clean blood off of it after extended draws and dry fire practice. Once you handle the samples for a while you will know what is right for you.