Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Bags

Hello: Just look at any 3-gun or rifle drag bags out there. For mag pouches I am using Safariland 771's that are for STI/McCormick mags. They fit Glock and Colt SMG 9mm mags just fine. I may use an inner tube around the mag pouch to hold the Colt mags a little more securely. I am also using a magnet for table start mag pickups. I may have to look into getting 20 round colt mags with your base pads for quicker mag changes :D Thanks, Eric

I went svelte and just got a scabbard for mine.  Molle straps easily to my range baby buggy and is basically like a big holster for a rifle but gives good padded protection.   For mag pouches I'm using Safariland 771s and a 773 for the Caspian widebody  (for the old style caspian mags which are dimensioned a little different than the new style), and they fit the Colt SMG mags perfect. 

2 hours ago, Bamboo said:

I went svelte and just got a scabbard for mine.  Molle straps easily to my range baby buggy and is basically like a big holster for a rifle but gives good padded protection.   For mag pouches I'm using Safariland 771s and a 773 for the Caspian widebody  (for the old style caspian mags which are dimensioned a little different than the new style), and they fit the Colt SMG mags perfect. 

Yes, the scabbards are great!

just a comment... one of the suggestions made to Mike Foley at the PCC match following the Open Nationals in Florida was a recommendation to use a table similar to a 3 gun shotgun loading table where cleared and flagged PCCs could be placed, and not needed to come to the line bagged... greatly speeds up the match

if you don't shoot 3gun, but think you will be a PCC regular competitor, a jogging stroller cart with ATV gun rack attached is a worthwhile addition

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello: The bag should be 38" long x 12" tall and have dual zippers. Not sure if outside pockets are needed. I have been looking at the VooDoo tactical small drag bag. I would like to see one in person to see how heavy it is. I have a couple of old bags I won over the years. Some are good and some just don't work that well. The contoured ones seem to work the best. The rectangle ones seem to allow the gun to roll around too much. Maybe a top loading bag would be best so the scope doesn't get any dust on it from the bag liner. Thanks, Eric

I've been looking for a light, simple, easy bag for the sole purpose of bagging/unbagging at matches.

So far, I've just been making do with this UTG Covert case - sort of like a scabbard. In this pic, it's unzipped all the way, but at matches, I just leave one end unzipped and slide the gun in and out like a big giant holster. 

hqdefault.jpg

Mine is 25" long, so my folding stock sticks out for easy access at Make Ready, and for re-bagging at the end of the stage. 

On 11/30/2016 at 6:02 AM, Bamboo said:

I'd love to see a photo of this set up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2016 at 1:58 PM, Sarge said:

I have mine strapped to my cart in this same scabbard. It's almost like a holster for an AR. :)

Sarge:  How do you handle casing/uncasing your carbine?  Do you detach the scabbard from your cart to comply with the requirement to have it pointing at the backstop or a side berm?  From the PCC addendum:

PCC 5.2.1.5 When casing/uncasing PCC’s, the muzzle must point at a side berm or backstop. Failure to point the muzzle at a side berm or back stop during casing/uncasing will result in a DQ per PCC 10.5.2.1

As I understand it, once it's uncased, you can transport it muzzle up or down to the rack or your cart as well as between stages (with a chamber flag).  If you plan to put it back in the case however, it has to be done while pointing at the backstop or side berm.  Seems much easier to me to just avoid the case until you're done for the day.

37 minutes ago, tyler2you said:

Sarge:  How do you handle casing/uncasing your carbine?  Do you detach the scabbard from your cart to comply with the requirement to have it pointing at the backstop or a side berm?  From the PCC addendum:

PCC 5.2.1.5 When casing/uncasing PCC’s, the muzzle must point at a side berm or backstop. Failure to point the muzzle at a side berm or back stop during casing/uncasing will result in a DQ per PCC 10.5.2.1

As I understand it, once it's uncased, you can transport it muzzle up or down to the rack or your cart as well as between stages (with a chamber flag).  If you plan to put it back in the case however, it has to be done while pointing at the backstop or side berm.  Seems much easier to me to just avoid the case until you're done for the day.

Actually I eventually think staying cased until on the line will become the way it's done.

i was told by relatively high authority the scabbard is fine as I have it mounted and it's just like putting the gun in gun holders on a stroller. The rifle is not completely cased yet there is no access to trigger. These scabbards are nice in that you can  take it out if the truck in the scabbard then attach to cart and be fine until ready to use it. 

Hopefully things will be clarified soon.  I've seen quite a few questionable practices with PCCs recently.  Everything from folks unzipping their bags back at their cart while not pointed at the backstop/side berm to putting their hand in front of the muzzle while zipping up their case.  I haven't seen anyone get DQ'd yet and ROs seem truly surprised when I tell them about the rules.

Mine is mounted vertically on my buggy and when I slide the PCC out (always flagged of course) I always keep it vertical w/muzzle down and handle by the forend handguard until the LMR command.  Returning the PCC to the scabbard is the reverse.  This seems to comply with 5.2.1.2/5.2.1.3/5.2.1.4/5.2.1.6/8.3.7.1 as the scabbard is not being used as a case, but rather a holder for the PCC on the buggy.  If this were to change I'd might abandon the scabbard and go back to the ATV gun holders, which I don't really like and find less safe than the scabbard (almost had a SG fall out of one while pushing the cart...not a pretty sight).

However, I agree...the PCC rules will be tweaked.  The rifle handling to/from the line is not uniform and some aren't as cautious as others. 

Edited by Bamboo
On 12/27/2016 at 1:52 PM, Bamboo said:

https://www.amazon.com/byNcStar-Tactical-Rifle-Scabbard-CVRSCB2919B/dp/B0050KFHMG

Looking this up I saw that they had the tan one for 21 bucks delivered. 

Mine came in last night.  Good news is it fits my 16" 9mm AR quite nicely.  Bad news, its heavily smoke damaged.  Must have been salvaged from a warehouse fire.

Its bad enough my wife noticed the smell and said it goes to the garage.  So I soaked it overnight in Febreze for fabric and left it to dry.

Checked it a few minutes ago.  Still stinks to high heaven.

I've requested a return and refund from Amazon.  Once it gets straight I'll probably order another one but from a different vendor.

Bill

1 minute ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Mine came in last night.  Good news is it fits my 16" 9mm AR quite nicely.  Bad news, its heavily smoke damaged.  Must have been salvaged from a warehouse fire.

Its bad enough my wife noticed the smell and said it goes to the garage.  So I soaked it overnight in Febreze for fabric and left it to dry.

Checked it a few minutes ago.  Still stinks to high heaven.

I've requested a return and refund from Amazon.  Once it gets straight I'll probably order another one but from a different vendor.

Bill

That's a bummer. Amazon will make it right though. These little AR holsters are worth the extra wait.

Yeah, I'd send that one back if you bought it off amazon. 

I purchased two - one quite a while ago in green, and the second was the tan one for 21 bucks delivered I mentioned above.  Both came is and were brand new in unopened plastic  and perfectly clean and no smell.