Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$800 Limited Gun Suggestion

wwiley

Currently I'm a Glock Production class shooter, and I want to move into Limited class with a 1911 style gun. I have always been in love with 1911's, and will soon be purchasing my first.

My question to each of you is if you had $700 - $800 to spend on your first 1911 pistol, what would it be, make and model?

Thanks for your input.

Welcome to the BEnosverse. As much as I'd hate it and know that I had the cheddar burning a hole in my pocket, I'd save up for an STI in .40... used ones can be had for around $1200. I'm not big on standard 1911s or any 1911-style gun with a round trigger guard, though.

Sounds like yuo're going to get one anyway...

If you want a 1911, for competition of not, I think the Kimbers are great.

A I have Custom Target...

The pistol was ~ $700

If you're going to move to Limited division, put the money way, and save for the wide body.. no use buying everything twice.

I still use a Kydex style holster for my Kimber, only thing I felt it was held securely... maybve 300#'s comments reflect that..

Also search on Kimber, Springfield, there's tons of advice on these here...

Currently I'm a Glock Production class shooter, and I want to move into Limited class with a 1911 style gun.  I have always been in love with 1911's, and will soon be purchasing my first.

My question to each of you is if you had $700 - $800 to spend on your first 1911 pistol, what would it be, make and model?

Thanks for your input.

Not a 1911, but here is what I would do(and did in fact).

Find a used G35, add better sights, Vanek trigger job, heavy magwell, 2 extra mags(4 total), and 4 Arrendondo mag extentions.

You'll have 800 or so(depends on the price of the 35) into the package. It will work very well for Limited(you can get 20rds in the mags) or Lim10.

Not a 1911, but here is what I would do(and did in fact).

Find a used G35, add better sights, Vanek trigger job, heavy magwell, 2 extra mags(4 total), and 4 Arrendondo mag extentions. 

You'll have 800 or so(depends on the price of the 35) into the package. It will work very well for Limited(you can get 20rds in the mags) or Lim10.

I'm sure the Vanek trigger is great, but at $235 with shipping I'm not sure it's essential to be competitive with a Glock 35 in Limited. Polishing and a new set of springs with yield a decent 2.5-3Lb trigger. It might be wiser to spend that money on a decent belt, holster, and mag pouches.

Save your money and buy a used S*I. You won't be looking for a new gun a year later. If you get a widebody .40 then you can shoot Limited and L-10. Trust everyone, keep shooting production until you have the $1200. You'll be happier in the end. ;)

for the $$$, a Para P16 runs well. I know that everyone else here says S_I, but there are other guns that will work. I have been shooting a P16 for 4 years and have yet to have a FTF. Put one extractor, and new recoil spring in it. For the money, they aren't bad. I am now shooting a G35 for something different and its not to bad. Mags are cheap and problems are nonexistant. Shoot one of whatever before you buy. ;) TXAG

I have a Para P14-45 that I have had for about 10 years, >20,000 rounds thru gun. Feeds everything I have put thru it. I also have a LTD14-45 LDA that is works awsome.

It is all about what you prefer to shoot. :ph34r:

I should have stated in my orginial post that I want a SS and that it will most likely be used for L10 more than Limited. I am struggling between a Kimber, Springfield or S&W. Lately I have also been turned on by the CZ 75 SA. Any suggestions?

for the $$$, a Para P16 runs well.  I know that everyone else here says S_I, but there are other guns that will work.  I have been shooting a P16 for 4 years and have yet to have a FTF. 

Finally, another Para fan. If you are looking for a 1911 style gun, you can't go wrong with a P16 40 Limited. Adjustable sights, nice trigger, ambi-safety, 16 round mags. Just about in your price range. You'll just have to get a DP Ice magwell. Requires no smithing. I run mine with no grips, just skateboard tape on the frame. Shoot it Limited or Limited 10.

I should have stated in my orginial post that I want a SS and that it will most likely be used for L10 more than Limited.  I am struggling between a Kimber, Springfield or S&W.  Lately I have also been turned on by the CZ 75 SA.  Any suggestions?

JMO Any of the above should be fine. Try a couple out and make sure you try the trigger and action on oe before you purchase it.

The 1911's have more available holster options though. B)

We have Kimbers as duty guns and they seem very picky about the magazine's they will use. The same Chip McCormick Power 10 mags I use with a Springfield with no trouble will not work in my Kimber.

Frankly, for $800, you're going to have a hard time outfitting yourself with a competitive Limited rig in a 1911 style gun. It'll have to be widebody, you'll usually need to *plan* on having some sort of reliability work done on it, mags ain't cheap and you'll need 4-5 (for "competitive" mags - $120 each, once you had basepads, etc).

A competitive L-10 rig can be had, but it's going to be real basic. 6 10rd reliable SS mags are going to $200 of your budget. Again, you run into planning on some reliability work, etc.

If you want to shoot Limited for under $800, out the door, you might consider something more along the lines of your Production rig in .40 - a Glock 35 or 22, for instance. Competitive capacity. Mags are relatively cheap. The gun generally just *runs* out of the box. Add a magwell and better sights. Buy 4-5 mags w/ basepads. Bam. $800.

Otherwise, save some extra bones :)

Frankly, for $800, you're going to have a hard time outfitting yourself with a competitive Limited rig in a 1911 style gun. It'll have to be widebody, you'll usually need to *plan* on having some sort of reliability work done on it, mags ain't cheap and you'll need 4-5 (for "competitive" mags - $120 each, once you had basepads, etc).

Excluding magazines, a holster, and everything else, can one get a widebody for anything close to $800, used or otherwise? I suspect not. If that were possible, I'd reconsider my Limited plans.

Excluding magazines, a holster, and everything else, can one get a widebody for anything close to $800, used or otherwise? I suspect not. If that were possible, I'd reconsider my Limited plans.

Yes, you can. Watch the USPSA classifieds and the BE ads.

$800 was a loose budget amount. I have been lookijng around and it seems as though I can get in to a Para wide body for around $700. That way I could shoot both Limited and L10. Anyone suggest a particular model for the Para's? Im not real thrilled with the idea of the LDA trigger. I would prefer single action. Any suggestions on Para's?