Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optimized Firing Pin - Extended and more mass

PatriotDefense

4 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

Its in enough of a bind that it doesn't allow the FPB to release the FP and you in up literally "hammering" it through the FPB. I now know why they leave that slop in there so the FP more or less floats to the rear of the FPB channel..... It was my fault in the design, just trying to tighten things up a bit. 

Interesting. I'm sure Tanfoglio has some kind of specs for tolerances... But after my chamber was so short and other issues in other guns... They must measure the tolerances with a plastic ruler from toys r us

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/11/2016 at 6:26 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Not to the public, since it's not for sale on their site...

In the hands of beta testers only right now.

Yes. The first iterations are being investigated.  a couple tolerance / timing things have been found. Also a couple areas for even better improvement. As you can imagine, there is only so much physical room to make changes, so a LOT of thinking, planning and close tolerance machining is needed.

Then, testing in the wild shows the variations in the guns as shipped from Tanfoglio.  The tolerances found in these guns remind me of that old saying; " Drawn to the micron, measured with a micrometer, marked with chalk and cut with a torch."

Edited by johnbu

Played around some.  made some cases with WOLF spp no powder no projectile and fired them with two flavors of PD pin using 12 and 10# hammer springs with each.

One point, the cases still need to go through the bullet seat and case crimp die, even without a projectile. Otherwise the cases are not sized to fit in the barrel.  head scratcher to fail plunk with empty brass! Once the quarter dropped and the light bulb came on....

With the cases sized, they popped!  2 in da and 1 in sa in two different stock 2 guns using 12 and 10# pd springs -no failures. . interesting phenomenon, the primers back out when fired alone.  guessing the gas is pushing them out.  There is also a noticable fire cone out the barrel with just the primer. didn't expect that but it was dusk.

I would be very interested to see what the firing pin does for my guns. I've tuned both my Stock II's to be 100% with Winchester SPPs so far. Last weekend I took a Stoeger class and went through just shy of 1000 rounds at 100%  

FYI I am using a PD 10lbs hammer spring, Extreme hammer, and 1 piece sear. People keep telling me my gun should not work. But it does. I would love to see if the heavier firing pin changes things. I have never tried CCI primers. A good test would be to see the reliability of the gun with CCIs before and after. 

Edited by mjmagee67

2 hours ago, mjmagee67 said:

People keep telling me my gun should not work. But it does. I would love to see if the heavier firing pin changes things. I have never tried CCI primers. A good test would be to see the reliability of the gun with CCIs before and after. 

These guns are highly individual creatures. That's for sure. I think people who haven't tested and tuned one might certainly say that it "shouldn't work."

A lot of your gun's reliability will come from your diligence and patience when it comes to polishing everything like crazy. I didn't go far enough in the first pass and my gun isn't reliable with CCIs and a 13lb spring - a combination that should work.

I'll be going back in soon and polishing everything much more aggressively.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Just picked up a Tanfo .40 compact and it is going to need some trigger love from PD.  I'll be waiting on the new firing pin to place my order so I can get it for the Lim Pro at the same time.

Just some springs and a good polish on the .40 to get down around 8DA/5SA?  I don't intend to compete with the gun.  More of a nightstand gun but the DA trigger is heavy stock.

46 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Just some springs and a good polish on the .40 to get down around 8DA/5SA?  I don't intend to compete with the gun.  More of a nightstand gun but the DA trigger is heavy stock.

If you lighten all of the other springs but leave the hammer spring stock (which I would for a defensive gun!) ...

I'd expect 8-9 DA and 5ish SA, yes.

The hammer spring has a huge effect on your DA pull so that will stay rather high, but hammer spring isn't a massive factor in SA. That's more a function of the geometry of your sear and hammer hooks.

My Stock III (with a somewhat heavy 14lb hammer spring) marginally shiny but full polish, Titan hammer, and BOLO disconnector, is 7.75 / 3.75 lbs

That 7.75 is vastly more shootable than the stock 10.5 was, simply because the trigger is now smooth as glass with no grit. Instead of multiple jerky stops and starts, you get a trigger rolling smoothly back into the gun.

2 hours ago, aandabooks said:

Just picked up a Tanfo .40 compact and it is going to need some trigger love from PD.  I'll be waiting on the new firing pin to place my order so I can get it for the Lim Pro at the same time.

Just some springs and a good polish on the .40 to get down around 8DA/5SA?  I don't intend to compete with the gun.  More of a nightstand gun but the DA trigger is heavy stock. [/quote] 

#####################

II would expect about that range. Maybe lower sa in the 4# ish area. As Memphis Mechanic said, it will feel lots better. But, I would suggest the 14 PD hammer along with the rest of their springs over the factory hammer spring.  Will have less "stack" at the end of the stroke and be easier to hold on target. Your result will depend on the diligence of your efforts polishing all the right things.  But even a first attempt polish will make it feel lots better.

On 1.11.2016 at 4:40 AM, PatriotDefense said:

Experimented with tungsten, it's a pain to machine and even though it's a lot more dense material than standard carbon steel it's rather brittle. 

I know it blocks with a extended FPB, Xtreme sear, and Titan hammer. I'll try a bone stock application tomorrow..... I don't see why it wouldn't work remember this stuff is Tanfoglio "Optimized" ?

Why not make a dual mass firing pin? -Like machining a hole lengthwise inside the firing pin (f.ex.4.83 mm) and filling the hole with a 4.8mm wolfram rod?  You get the weight of the wolfram without the hassle of machining it. :) 

16 hours ago, johnbu said:

But, I would suggest the 14 PD hammer along with the rest of their springs over the factory hammer spring.  Will have less "stack" at the end of the stroke and be easier to hold on target.

I only suggested retaining the factory hammer spring because he mentioned nightstand (home defense) duty.

Personally, I won't lower the spring rate on a striker or hammer in a 'will need to go bang to save my life' gun.

Especially since I have a gun with a 14lb PD spring right now that isn't popping the primers used in CCI/Speer (Gold Dot hollowpoint) ammo because it needs more polishing or other work.

On 11/30/2016 at 10:00 PM, PatriotDefense said:

Units are in production, i would expect to have these back from heat treat by the end of next week so stay tuned......

I assume that they are for large frame pistols only. Am I correct? Please say I'm wrong...

i dont have enough experience with the small frame guns to say for sure if it will work. I guess i should start looking for one so we're sure to have our international friends setup for success as well. 

ARy knows where to find me and my small frames. :)

1 hour ago, PatriotDefense said:

i dont have enough experience with the small frame guns to say for sure if it will work. I guess i should start looking for one so we're sure to have our international friends setup for success as well. 

I'd love to have a small frame PD Optimized FP and BOLO!