Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optimized Firing Pin - Extended and more mass

PatriotDefense

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, NicoR said:

I'd love to have a small frame PD Optimized FP and BOLO!

So the interesting thing we have found out about SF guns and BOLO's are the following-

Most SF guns will accept BOLO's with minor to no fitting just like their LF counterparts. However there are i believe two guns that needed extensive fitting (material removal) in order to get them to function properly. One of these SF stock II's was JJ's and i believe was one of the first Stock II's to even be imported. 

13 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

It'll work with the stock FPB as long as the gun is left stock, and of course if you swap out the sear and what not you'll need the Extended FPB. This firing pin will function and work with all safety's built into the gun. 

Any estimate on how much you'd be able to drop the hammer spring weight with these vs the stock pin? Like if 14# was the lightest for 100% pops w/ the stock pin, would you expect 12# to work? 13#?

Wes, that's a good question. Haven't really tested that yet but based off the height increase in the "pencil" test I would expect being able to come down some on the hammer spring weight if your gun is 100% as it sits now. The new pin will really help out with those guys having the occasional light strike and not wanting to go up in their spring weight. 

2 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

Wes, that's a good question. Haven't really tested that yet but based off the height increase in the "pencil" test I would expect being able to come down some on the hammer spring weight if your gun is 100% as it sits now. The new pin will really help out with those guys having the occasional light strike and not wanting to go up in their spring weight. 

Send me a pin and I'll do some testing for you ;). I'm 60% with a 12# spring. 80% with 13#. 100% with 14#.

If you read ARy's thread on the "typical" gun you will see each one is different!  My opinion (having played with first revision prototypes) is that the benefit will be 1/2 to 1 spring.  a person running a 14 should be able to confidently run a 13, etc etc.   My opinion is that if you've found the lowest reliable spring power, the extended firing pin give insurance against ignition failures at that same level.  In engineer speak, the "process margin" of strike force  is used up in friction or other "non-ignition activities" resulting in what we call a light strike.  

Imagine the whole system as the process. Areas of friction are in each pivot point (sear pin, hammer pin, strut pin, interruptor pin and holes), each sliding surface (strut, spring, firing pin, FP block, hammer AND the surface they rub on!). Those friction points slow the action and steal strike force.  Most people look there first, last and only....but....  There are mechanical issues like the piss poor chambers 9mm tanfos have been given recently, rough breech faces, rough extractors, ill fit barrels not locking into battery fully and the firing pin block being hit. And don't minimize the vital role primer depth plays! Those issues keep the firing pin from reaching the primer or cause the strike force to be used to fully seat the round, fully lock the lugs or fully chamber the slide or pushing yhe primer down more. Those areas are bigger force thieves than friction!    So, it is tough to assign a definitive number for all guns. Some optimized guns will pop cci primers with a pd12 where others struggle with winchester using a 14.  So... since every gun is in some way imperfect or un-optimized, the gain will be different for each.  sorry for the long winded reply! But the simple question has a very complex answer.

23 hours ago, Wesquire said:

Any estimate on how much you'd be able to drop the hammer spring weight with these vs the stock pin? Like if 14# was the lightest for 100% pops w/ the stock pin, would you expect 12# to work? 13#

Edited by johnbu

13 minutes ago, johnbu said:

If you read ARy's thread on the "typical" gun you will see each one is different!  My opinion (having played with first revision prototypes) is that the benefit will be 1/2 to 1 spring.  a person running a 14 should be able to confidently run a 13, etc etc.   My opinion is that if you've found the lowest reliable spring power, the extended firing pin give insurance against ignition failures at that same level.  In engineer speak, the "process margin" of strike force  is used up in friction or other "non-ignition activities" resulting in what we call a light strike.  

Imagine the whole system as the process. Areas of friction are in each pivot point (sear pin, hammer pin, strut pin, interruptor pin and holes), each sliding surface (strut, spring, firing pin, FP block, hammer AND the surface they rub on!). Those friction points slow the action and steal strike force.  Most people look there first, last and only....but....  There are mechanical issues like the piss poor chambers 9mm tanfos have been given recently, rough breech faces, rough extractors, ill fit barrels not locking into battery fully and the firing pin block being hit. And don't minimize the vital role primer depth plays! Those issues keep the firing pin from reaching the primer or cause the strike force to be used to fully seat the round, fully lock the lugs or fully chamber the slide or pushing yhe primer down more. Those areas are bigger force thieves than friction!    So, it is tough to assign a definitive number for all guns. Some optimized guns will pop cci primers with a pd12 where others struggle with winchester using a 14.  So... since every gun is in some way imperfect or un-optimized, the gain will be different for each.  sorry for the long winded reply! But the simple question has a very complex answer.

Yea. Any estimate would be very rough. I've addressed all the surfaces you mentioned. I'm 100% with federal and 12# spring. CCI needs 14# though, and I've got 5000 of cci loaded. The difference is not something I'd be able to tell in a match situation, I just like knowing my gun is optimal. The funny thing is, there's not much difference in feel on these PD springs because of the lack of stacking. 

Glad you said that. (About the feel being nearly the same)

I'm migrating to HIGHER trigger forces as there is little difference in a fully optimized gun. But! I know how goofy my reloading person is (me) and anything that can be done to ensure a bang is valuable. Because it's embarrassing to go "click click click" in a match...or so I'm told.

My precious limited tiny supply of federals is not enough for 2017 so Wolf and SB will be used, unless i find winchesters. They will need the latest and greatest PD parts to be "match  reliable" even in my guns!

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Polymer said:

Anyone know difference or have experience with the new PD Gen 2 firing pin?!

I have one in my CO gun.  it's heavier than the Xtreme by a goodly amount.

It's also longer.

Hits hard. Harder than any other one I've tried.

Basically,  it's the best one on the market today.

54 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Basically,  it's the best one on the market today.

I should have been more clear..... I have their first gen one, I wanted to know the difference with the current Gen 2. 

50 minutes ago, Polymer said:

I should have been more clear..... I have their first gen one, I wanted to know the difference with the current Gen 2. 

gen1 have a week point, I think gen2 does not. my gen1 firing pin broke during a match yesterday, emailed PD last night, they gonna send me a new one(gen2 I assume), great customer service.:D

9 hours ago, Polymer said:

They are 0.020" longer than gen1. Also material/design  was changed to enhance reliability.

However, i suspect it was more that some slides and extractor pairs were interfering w the wider firing pin.  i remove the extractors, reprofile the portion of it that is interior to the pin, the mirror polish. I do that to reduce friction that robs energy, but found it more important with the PD pin. But... only on guns that the extractor pivot hole in the slide is more towards the centerline of the slide. (Making the extractor intrude more into to firing pin channel).

How did your pin break? Tip snapped off?