Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Class

phil plesetz

I'm a newer shooter currently having fun in Production with a G34. I am going to shoot Limited class (40 cal) next season and am going to buy a new gun. Whats the thoughts on the following 3 that I have my eye on?

Tactical Sport Orange

STI EDGE

Tanfoglio LTD or other variant

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just switched to limited from shooting a glock 34 in production not to long ago. I'm shooting a 2011 now as it seems to dominate the limited category for the most part. Not sure about the other guns listed but as far as the 2011 goes u will get a lot of varying answers....kind of like ford or chevy....apple vs droid. I have 2 ck arms hardcore 2011 and love them. If I were to ever switch to another company would be atlas based on the 100% positive feedback/review rate. Lastly I would try to shoot a few range buddies guns before jumping into something since these guns are so much more expensive than a glock. 

1 minute ago, nelson1each said:

I would try to shoot a few range buddies guns before jumping into something since these guns are so much more expensive than a glock. 

Tanfo's are neat and very comfortable to shoot. Need more maintenance and parts replacements than most 2011's (see ChaLee's range diary from a few years ago)

I like the tanfo's but couldn't make myself change from the 2011 platform.

Lots of good edge's around now since the nationals  etc.  find a good used one and jump in

One of the things you shouldn't have to consider,  but probably should is.....what does everyone else at your club shoot?

If you have a 1 off, super cool gun and it breaks, or you have questions about it or are looking for parts, you are on your own.

I shot an almost bone stock edge for 2 years.

Broke firing pins, buddies had them.  Wanted to try an 11 lb recoil spring, someone had one, had a Grip bushing break before a major the next day, a buddy had a set in his range bag.

AlAll guns break, but you don't need to be the guy at the safe table wishing you had a new slide stop to finish the match..

When it was time to choose a recipe for my reloads, almost every Limited shooter was shooting a 2011 based gun and had their pet loads that had been proven for thousands of rounds.

All this means you can focus on getting better and not learning your equipment.

i go to one place and it is predominantly STI type guns or 2011. This weekend at a different match i had seen a lot of Tanfos. Are the T-guns reliable equal to an STI.  I have a 45 cal EDGE that i shoot indoors and am a bit disappointed on  service. Several calls, none returned. To me that's a big part of whatever I buy. I shoot a Krieghoff in clay target sports and they have been good with many of my needs for service.

Thanks, for the input.

6 minutes ago, waktasz said:

If I was going to buy an STI I'd get one of Dawson's CRP models that way when the barrel link breaks due to bad fitment I will have someone to return it to other than STI.

I think Dawson's policy would be for you to return the gun to STI . 

CRP means they sighted it in and that is it from what I read.

I own several custom wide body guns and I had one STI... It was a DVC and I was way less of than impressed with it.... They may have made that one on Friday. I bought an edge for my brother and it was a much nicer fitting gun. I'd recommend getting an edge as it has been the STI flagship for a while and it is relatively cheap as far as 2011s go. The STI dealer policy makes dealers buy 5 to start so there are always people dumping the for near cost. Paid $1699 shipped for the edge I bought brand new. 

STI is making some changes and really standing behind their guns.

My Edge was almost 3 years old with about 35k rounds through it when the rear of the slide chipped.  They replaced the gun and bought and replaced all of the non-stock items I had on the gun.  Swenson safety, Brazo's Manny Dot, EGW ignition.  The only thing they reused was my custom stippled red grips.

It took a couple of months for the Warranty, but it even came with a decent trigger job.  I'm very happy with the Edge.

9 minutes ago, phil plesetz said:

true, but the phone call should not lead you to voicemail than.

I agree.  Customer service is huge for me.  A company like STI is big enough that there should be someone to answer the phone. I have dealt with much smaller companies gun related and otherwise that answer the phone. I personally don't really like emailing.  For me that always ends up with days of correspondence that could have been accomplished in 5 minutes or less on the phone.  All that said I do know STI stands behind their products.  I have seen it first hand at my local club.  Custom work from them might be another story but I can't speak from experience.  

I run a edge with a little custom work done with a pt aluminum grip. Hardly any issues with it. Love limited class. My advice is get something used as I did and was told by others and see how you like them. I liked the 2011 so much I have a SV being built right now. 

54 minutes ago, phil plesetz said:

i will do the research but prefer NEW versus used. If I know the seller and the item first hand, that would be a different story, 

Good luck!

If I was in the market for a new 2011 it would be either the Brazo's tweaked version (forget what they call it, basically an Edge with a better trigger & the critical dimensions blueprinted) or a Triangle shooting sports 2011.

Purely my bias's though. 

A stock CZ TS is a great gun for a great price or the $2400 CZ custom shop uber tweaked TS is another way to go if you want a smaller grip & etc.