Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switch divisions if laws change?

obsessiveshooter

With it being an election year, is anyone thinking about what changes they would make if we ended up with, say, a national 10-round mag capacity limit with no grandfather clause?

Would Limited shooters start shooting L10, Open shooters start shooting L10 or CO? Would most get a production rig? Would you switch ahead of time if you thought you saw the laws coming, or wait till the last minute?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think we'd end up with some states refusing to enforce laws, and probably even passing their own laws to invalidate the federal overreach.

but i don't think dems will take over control of congress, so I don't see such a thing happening.

At any rate, all the real badazzes shoot singlestack already.

Edited by motosapiens

We already have a USPSA Rule that covers this scenario................

3.3.1 - In states where competitors are restricted by law to maximum magazine capacity,  that  maximum  capacity  will  be  the  maximum  allowed  for  all competitors  in  the  contest. Any  such  limitations  must  be  made  known to all competitors by the Match Director/Range Master before the start of the match.

The president doesn't, but it's still possible.  Who knows, Trump could cause the whole country to turn against all causes considered to be conservative issues.  Hillary could appoint a bunch of supreme court justices that might think the 2A and Australian style gun laws are compatible.  All I know is, I live in the mountains of Colorado and I have to [gladly] subvert state laws in order to compete in Limited division.  I think of my state as being part of the Wild West, yet these are my laws, so anything is possible nationwide.

The point wasn't to start a political discussion.  Just play along with the hypothetical.  Would you switch divisions? I personally would switch to whatever division had the most/best shooters.  I just hope it wouldn't be SS.  Shooting L10 or Open 10 would seem like driving an Indy car with a speed limiter set to 60mph.  And I would hope that production division would adopt major PF scoring for those meeting the PF requirements.  

(flame suit is on so...) IMHO the greatest challenges to shooting skills lies in Revolver, SSTK, Production, Limited, then Open Divisions in that order.  Why, because accuracy becomes a greater requirement as Mikes can force extra unplanned and possibly flat footed reloads - real time killers and USPSA scores are more sensitive to time than accuracy (to a point).

I like SSTK because I like the challenge however I often shoot Limited because I don't like to shoot alone.

I'd enjoy seeing more SSTK shooters but not because of legal issues.

But, I doubt a retro active bad would or even could happen.

On September 29, 2016 at 10:20 AM, obsessiveshooter said:

Would Limited shooters start shooting L10, Open shooters start shooting L10 or CO? Would most get a production rig? Would you switch ahead of time if you thought you saw the laws coming, or wait till the last minute?...

I am already in that boat as of July, 2017 in CA. Based on the rules Limited will be a 10 round division, so there would be no need to switch.

On 9/29/2016 at 9:20 AM, obsessiveshooter said:

With it being an election year, is anyone thinking about what changes they would make if we ended up with, say, a national 10-round mag capacity limit with no grandfather clause?

Would Limited shooters start shooting L10, Open shooters start shooting L10 or CO? Would most get a production rig? Would you switch ahead of time if you thought you saw the laws coming, or wait till the last minute?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The presidential race does not matter in the short term. Pro gun people will still control congress and that is who passes laws. The danger is in the long term with supreme court appointments. As for gun laws nothing will be able to get passed with the president alone. If this were to happy say 20 years down the road which I hope it does not. People would still shoot the divisions they shoot just like in Canada just with lower cap mags. 

Pat