Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Brakes!

warpspeed

So I have a Ford F150 supercrew 2wd and it has not been too good on brakes. Factory went 30K miles and first brake job lasted 36K when a front pad broke :angry:

Well the shop I've been going too for last 15 years puts on the Super HD pads - $ 110 for the fronts and they last 25K ! WTF ?

Heavier vehicles will wear out brake pads faster since you have more mass to stop.

I know we aren't suppose to offer suggestion, but you can try not braking as much. :o

My mom's Volvo goes through front pads about every 20K, but 90% is city driving. My Camary went 198K on the original front pads. I had to get them replace because the rotors were pretty warped, bad enough that it couldn't be turned down. Pads still had 6mm left. 95% were highway miles.

Heavier vehicles will wear out brake pads faster since you have more mass to stop. 

I know we aren't suppose to offer suggestion, but you can try not braking as much. :o

My mom's Volvo goes through front pads about every 20K, but 90% is city driving.  My Camary went 198K on the original front pads.  I had to get them replace because the rotors were pretty warped, bad enough that it couldn't be turned down.  Pads still had 6mm left.  95% were highway miles.

I live and drive in LA. ;)

Not quite the same gripe, but... My wife kept insisting that she was hearing grinding coming from her front brakes. This didn't seem unreasonable, as she had over 70K on the car, and the front brakes hadn't been done yet. So, after a month or so of nagging (I had her drive me around on a couple of occasions and never heard any grinding...), I go get the pads, and stuff, and set out to do the front brakes.

Well, I get in there, and the darn things are hardly worn - maybe 30%, I crap you negative. After a long (and somewhat heated) talk, I finally discovered that she was setting of the ABS. It's her first car w/ ABS, and she didn't know how it behaved..... :wacko::wacko::wacko:<_<

For the record, it's a VW New Beetle and the brakes are heavily balanced to the rear (they were done around 60K). She drives like a grandma, too, so....

BTW - I've heard of Tauruses (Taurusi??) needing brake jobs every 15-18K, and Hondas that have needed them every 12K (due to the factory brake pad composition, which they've apparently now switched away from)....

BTW - I've heard of Tauruses (Taurusi??) needing brake jobs every 15-18K, and Hondas that have needed them every 12K (due to the factory brake pad composition, which they've apparently now switched away from)....

I had 2 Tauri :D before the F-150 and they were very easy on brakes - 50 K easy.

The part that really pisses me off though is how the rotors get 3 turns MAX. And in the case of the broken pads, they are toast.

I've got a 99 F-350 crew cab long bed with 7.3 l powerstroke and a 140 gal aux tank. Did front brakes around 125 k miles rear brakes around 205 k miles, but ond roter went FUBAR and had to be replaced in less than 30 k miles. Truck weight is around 7000 lbs or so, current miles just short of 1/4 milion. Brake life makes absolutly no sense at all. Oh and truck has an auto transmision.

Huston in Austin

The fact that you live and drive in LA says a lot. I tend to be on the other end of the spectrum, as I touch the brakes maybe 5 times on my 35 mile trip to work. The brakes on the truck go a little faster, but the car was at 125K with the original brakes on it still when I traded it in.

My 98 F-150 4x4 went 70K+ miles on its factory brakes. Though that includes 98-02 when I was a traveling consultant and the truck only saw the Sat morning drive to the local match. A friend helped me replace them, which took about an hour. 45 minutes for the first side and 15 for the second..... slow learning curve I guess. This winter I broke the torsion bar and it took us about an hour and a half to install the new one, including a trip to the parts place for a larger gear puller since the one we had was not long enough.

James

I live and drive in LA.

Must be all the extra weight of the bullet proof glass.:)

My little 4WD Ranger went 95k with the factory brakes. I have 101K on my second set of tires (these were the replacement tires for the Firestones that came apart) so, at 128k miles, I haven't had to new buy tires yet (okay there was a $100 upgrade when I swapped out the Firestones tires).

It will be interesting when the truck is inspected this month.

Respectfully,

jkelly

2002 VW Golf Turbodiesel 5-sp... brakes were replaced at 70k miles due to the rear brake pad wear, front pads were 30%. I am in Houston and drive like a LeMans racer... (very hard stops and downshifting compared to riding the brakes to slow one down.)

Perhaps change to a brake fluid with a higher boiling point, maybe the fluid is heating up and is dragging on the rotor?

I'm not getting this. My last car had 75k miles on it (before some dumb %#$! hit me head on) and it still had the original pads w/o any problems. My current car has 25k miles on it and still on the original pads. Lot of city/freeway driving for both cars.

Its best to use OEM Pads They do wear faster due to the composition of the pad material. If you use aftermarket pads use a ceramic type pad such as Napa's Ceremix. If you are doing them yourself open the bleeder when you push the piston back. It's not a good idea to force the old fulid and crap that collects back through the antilock valving. If that valve gets screwed up from the crap in the brake system your looking at big bucks.

Steve,

ASE Master Tech

I'm not getting this.  My last car had 75k miles on it (before some dumb %#$! hit me head on) and it still had the original pads w/o any problems.  My current car has 25k miles on it and still on the original pads.  Lot of city/freeway driving for both cars.

I was really thinking that 100's of fellow BE forum members would tell me that they too got waaaay fewer miles from there brakes than they expected and that I was not alone. Instead I get, things like 125K miles , original pads or 205K fo. Come on people LIE TO ME !! Tell me you change pad with the oil.

CULLEN - WHRE ARE YOU ???????

Just move out of LA and your brake pads will last forever. Like I said, my mom living in LA gets about 20K with her Volvo. Those brakes do stop really well also.

Back when I was living in LA, the brake pads on my bicycle don't last nearly as long as they do now. Nor do the plastic cleats on my clipless pedals. I used to train by sprinting from red light to red light. Where I live now, I can ride over 100 miles without ever having to stop once.

Every 15k on my Tundra you gotta turn the front rotors. Seems those rotors are what they used on the smaller line of vehicles and the larger truck size just heats em up quick and they warp. We live with the steering wheel rattle and front end dance for now, but will get some aftermarket drilled, slotted and cryoed replacements with some kevlar? pads.

Every 15k on my Tundra you gotta turn the front rotors. Seems those rotors are what they used on the smaller line of vehicles and the larger truck size just heats em up quick and they warp. We live with the steering wheel rattle and front end dance for now, but will get some aftermarket drilled, slotted and cryoed replacements with some kevlar? pads.

Thanks Sandoz - I feel much better now :D:D:D

Pickup trucks are notorious for front brake wear, especially those with drum rear brakes. The OEM drum brake self-adjusters do not work well and it seems the factories want them that way to prevent brake lock-up because the rear wheels are so lightly loaded in empty pick up trucks. My Dakota has ABS but I never felt the rear ABS kick in even in the first rain of the season. I put it up on jack stands and with the motor idling in gear the brake pedal would not stop the rear wheels from turning!!!! The parking brake worked fine. Now I manually adjust the rear brakes and my front brake pads last much, much longer.

Nolan