Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"single Stacks" Are Not Just 1911's

iweiny

I just had to get this out there, and I think I saw at least one other person mention it.

I have a 1911, shoot L10 and do plan to try this new SS division cause I like my 8rd mags!!! But my real concern with this is my wife. She shoots a Sig 220 which there are just NO GOOD 10rd mags for. We have tried some and she has suffered by having to clear jams etc...

I got the 10rd mags for my gun because doing a standing reload is a huge penalty which others in L10 do not have. She has had to do standing reloads where there is say more than 9rds from a box. I know you can blame stage designers but lets face it, there are times where having those 2 extra rounds make all the difference. (I will not even get into the revolver disscussion)

So along comes this new SSD and I think "cool" she can play there. But she can't, because it is not a "1911". This kind of upsets me. She does not want to shoot production like so many have told her, because she does not want to be penalized by shooting minor. I have offered to download her rounds to minor but She is proud to be shooting a Major PF gun, and I think rightfully so. (Oh and BTW, she does shoot almost all A's) But even in production she is at a dissadvantage because most production guns have 10rds as well!

She feels like she shoots the "wrong gun" even though she loves it and shoots it really well. Since the purpose of these "lower" divisions is to "shoot what you own" I think there is a hole here to be filled...

Personally I feel the real difference in guns is in the round count. I know optics and compensators make a gun "faster" but from what I have seen I can shoot pretty fast when I don't have to reload, and I am not TGO!

Sorry about the semi-rant,

Ira

We beat this horse a little bit in the other thread... Ira, I think a lot of us were in agreement that, should SSD become more than a Provisional division, it might be nice to include other single stack pistols - though the rules would have to be well thought out to remain simple.

The man to shoot an email to is Gary Stevens. He's a nice guy, and will respond with well thought out replies, etc - he might repsond here, too. He's the champion of SSD, and that basically means he's the complaint department for SSD, too :) (sorry, Gary.... ;) )

Beretta also made a great single stack that is also not eligible to use in this new division. :angry::angry:

Because of this and all the other bulls**t with inconsistencies in Production Division, allowing single action XD's, different guns in and out on an almost weekly basis, etc, I've let my RO cert expire and my USPSA (aka 1911 mutual admiration society) expire.

I was shooting Beretta's in competition long before I ever heard of USPSA and it looks like I'll continue until I can see some reason to rejoin. There are always plenty of club matches around.

Single Stack was already alive in:

1. the 1911 Society

2. IDPA CDP & ESP

3. numerous local unaffiliated matches.

As long as the Single Stack Division is Provisional, no one else needs to hold matches that recognize this division. On the other hand, matches that are already following these rules, especially the 1911 Society's annual Single Stack Classic, can now afflilate with USPSA & IPSC.

Richard

Schennberg.com

I think consideration of making this venture a "Single Stack" Division has merit, and if things go well, I will broach the idea myself. However, at this point the apple we are taking a bite of is the one we have. Trying to bite off too much is a sure way to get choked.

Let's see how this plays out and then we can see where the final product will land. Without sufficient participation it is a moot issue anyway.

Gary

I hope this new division does work out and that we can get to the point where other single stacks are allowed to play. I also have a Sig P220 that I love to shoot but because of the lack of decent 10 round mags as noted by iweiny I am unable to competative with it in any current division. Again I hope that this new division does work out as I do think that it will bring more people into the fold.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea...since we already have five divisions, why don't we have one for each gun manufacturer? I don't think USPSA is ever going to please everybody in this sport....it is a "sport". I can understand that some like to shoot a pistol that is very comfortable to them, but that pistol not being competitve is not a valid reason for inclusion in another division. The days of "run what you brung" are over! If you want to compete and be competitive, you have to keep up with the equipment race. Otherwise, just come out to have fun! I remember the days when guys were pulling their Master card with single stacks. I ran one at the nationals in L10 and everybody thought I was crazy. From what I have heard, talking to certain people, L10 was meant to be a single stack division from the beginning. They just never made the rules state that. I could be wrong. If this provisional division works out, maybe L10 will go away! :D I think it should....although the sunset of the AWB was less than a year ago. L10 just seemed to be a cross between Production and Limited. If you're running a fat gun, load the thing up and step up! I hope to see this new division take off and we can all have a blast with the guns that started this whole revolution. Regardless, I will still shoot my single stack in L10.

Why not just change L10 to L8? Then run what you brung.

A Holster Rule change wouldn't be out of the question, but don't know if it actually makes that big of a difference. You can get fairly cheap Blade Tech Holsters adjustable for rake and the existing Rule allows the 8 shot Revo guys to keep their FMC on the front.

Leaving Open, Limited, Production and Revolver alone and just changing L10 to L8 may be the best of all.

Dave

I finially got around to giving the new SS division rules a good look, and i can now say for sure that I wont be shooting it. :(

Sorry, but my L-10 gun (which is a single stack) has a full length dust cover, and I like the heavy feel of a tungsten guild rod.

Are there really that many people who shoot the "Single Stack Classic" who wont shoot USPSA because of the minor rule differences?

I finially got around to giving the new SS division rules a good look, and i can now say for sure that I wont be shooting it.  :(

Sorry, but my L-10 gun (which is a single stack) has a full length dust cover, and I like the heavy feel of a tungsten guild rod.

Are there really that many people who shoot the "Single Stack Classic" who wont shoot USPSA because of the minor rule differences?

Trigger,

add in dedicated IDPA CDP shooters, and you might have a significant number of future customers, or not --- that's what the next three years are supposed to tell us......

Here is my two cents,

I always thought L-10 should be a single stack single-action only division. With 40 cal being the smallest diameter. I think it is only fitting to give the almost stock 1911 it's own place in our sport because this gun basically pioneered our sport. Also, the 1911 platform is still the dominant gun being used in 3 of the 4 divisions so it makes sense to be able to start shooting a 1911 without spending a few thousand dollars to be competitive. Which brings me to the problem I have now with L-10 is the fact that someone can be shooting a stock single stack 1911 next to a guy who is shooting his $2,600.00 limited gun that is tuned to the hilt (Any advantage here?). And to sum this all up I would just like to add that I don't think we need another division. Four seems to be plenty.

Tim

Here is my two cents,

I always thought L-10 should be a single stack single-action only division. With 40 cal being the smallest diameter. I think it is only fitting to give the almost stock 1911 it's own place in our sport because this gun basically pioneered our sport. Also, the 1911 platform is still the dominant gun being used in 3 of the 4 divisions so it makes sense to be able to start shooting a 1911 without spending a few thousand dollars to be competitive. Which brings me to the problem I have now with L-10 is the fact that someone can be shooting a stock single stack 1911 next to a guy who is shooting his $2,600.00 limited gun that is tuned to the hilt (Any advantage here?). And to sum this all up I would just like to add that I don't think we need another division. Four seems to be plenty.

Tim

I know you mean 5 divisions. The Revolver guys are starting to feel unloved. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my two cents,

Tim

So what happens when people start shooting $2600 single stack guns. They are every bit as good as a $2600 Wide body, once you remove the capacity advantage. You'll still have people complaining that their $500 mil spec can't compete.

I don't care what division we are talking about, there is always going to be an advantage for the people who are willing to spend more money. And YES, that sure as heck applies to Production.

Sorry for what might become a drift.

I don't care what division we are talking about, there is always going to be an advantage for the people who are willing to spend more money. And YES, that sure as heck applies to Production.

Sorry for what might become a drift.

More money = more match entry fees and more bullets/cases/primers/powder. Then there's the people who will spend more time dryfiring and practicing........

• 1 month later...
I finially got around to giving the new SS division rules a good look, and i can now say for sure that I wont be shooting it.  :(

I was disappointed to see the full length dust cover rule as well. If I was going to shoot in that division I wanted to use my Springfield Loaded Operator, it is a single stack after all and now I can’t shoot that division.

I think I'll just run my STI with the aluminum single-stack grip adaptor :lol:

That said...now folks, just remember that this "single stack" thing is the "creative vision" of Gary, and making fun of it just makes Gary sad. We don't want that! :)

Reading some Front Sight magazines from '99...noticed that there was much talk about setting up a "Glock" division <_< The more things change...

Alex

Reading some Front Sight magazines from '99...noticed that there was much talk about setting up a "Glock" division  <_<  The more things change...

Alex

Hell, I still have the Front Sight that has an article talking about how either the Kimber, or Les Baer Monolith (both single stacks) are THE hot set up for the "New" L-10 division. I still want to know where the idea for that article came from. :blink:

I am one of the CDP'ers that plans on playing in the ss division and am looking forward to a different game. It is funny. There are several I shoot IDPA with that have started making the 2 hour drives to shoot USPSA and when I ask them about it, they alll get this big smile on their face. I still can't believe Dallas-Ft. Worth doesn't have a club. Anyway, a few more mag carriers and I'm good to go. For those that don't shoot idpa, cdp is dominated by the 1911 and "other" guns are few and far between. On the other hand, a friend of mine that shoots a 220 very well doesn't seem to have a place to shoot. I know that you can't accomodate everyone but it seem guns like the 220 would fit. just $.02

I still can't believe Dallas-Ft. Worth doesn't have a club. Anyway, a few more mag carriers and I'm good to go.

I agree. I would be very interested in trying out USPSA/IPSC, and as a current IDPA shooter, I would most likely start out in SS division since I can use all my CDP equipment and still be competitive. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of free time and can't afford 4 hours commute to the nearest IPSC match; therefore, IDPA is the only option I have. I think someone tried talking to Backwoods management about building a “tactical” pistol bay – they certainly have enough “real estate” for it. Unfortunately, they weren’t very interested in the idea back then… :(