Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help so I don't Quit

Lilly

I have been reading the posts on how to stay focused and not get nervous when you shoot a match, but I'm afraid that I have conditioned myself somehow so that I cannot talk myself out of the way I feel at matches. I really want to change because I really like shooting and the people I meet at the matches. But if I cannot change, I will have to quit, not just for myself but also for the poor people in my squad.

When I shoot at a match, I have a voice that runs constantly that tells me that I should not be there, that I am just not good enough, that I am just going to make a total fool out of myself. I get so nervous that if anything goes wrong on the stage, I get so upset that I usually have to leave to get some control and then I come back. I am so miserable that I have a terrible time and just cannot wait to get home. And, the truth is, I am not a very good shooter. I am barely a C class shooter.

I know it sounds like I am some emotional dingbat, but I am far from the person I become when I get so scared at matches. I am normally rather rational and not very emotional at all. I am a very thinking, task oriented person (ENTJ). I have no problem speaking in front of people, and I have competed at high levels in other sports. I understand that I should just go have a good time, to just compete with myself, etc, etc. But making myself internalize it is the problem. I really don't expect to win anything - it is not a competitive thing. Somehow, I have created a monster inside myself.

I badly want to be better and I enjoy the shooting a whole lot. I really want to get over this and just go out and shoot the best I can and that be just fine with me!

I have Brian's book. I was thinking about trying other books and starting some kind of program so I can change the way I feel. For example, shoot a local match and feel good about it, even if I come in last (which is usually the case). I need a way to stop beating on myself and start enjoying myself. Does anyone know of a way I can get through this?

Lilly,

EVERYONE feels the way you are at some time in their shooting.  We all want to do well, no one wants to embarrass themselves, and we all want others mutual respect.  With that being said it sounds to me that you are putting way-way-way yo much pressure on yourself.  I was finding that every time I moved up in class I shot terrible.  Why?  Because I felt like I had to prove or validate my move up to everyone else.  I then realized that it's not about everyone else, it's about me and it's about shooting.  People in this sport are so open to want to help other shooters and usually most a decent suggestions.  Set your mind free, open your senses, and don't put all that stress into your shooting and I gaurantee you will improve.

I have a voice that runs constantly that tells me that I should not be there, that I am just not good enough, that I am just going to make a total fool out of myself

I know that voice! It used to speak to me after I took my warm-up lap of Sears Point, as I was trying to find my grid position for the start. It made me want to get the hell off the track and return to the pits with my tail between my legs. It was almost a panic attack. It went away after the green flag.

I've never heard that voice at shooting matches. (Well, maybe faintly when I squadded with the Limited super squad at the Steel Challenge, but that was different.)

Do you feel that way only while on the line, or during the whole match? You shouldn't feel that way taping targets and waiting for your turn in the order!

I suspect a lot of people feel some kind of pressure on the line, like everybody's watching them, judging them. In a sense, it's worse than head-to-head competition because then at least you know or think your opponent(s) is/are thinking about his/her/their own performance(s). Here's the truth: nobody in the peanut gallery cares how you shoot. All they care about is that you run the course safely.

When you make a mistake on a target, it's spilled milk. Just get your hits on the next target. When you make a mistake on a stage, it's spilled milk. Don't dwell on it; just get your mind on the next stage.

Wow.. that voice pops up in all sorts of inappropriate places..

As part of "growing up", we somehow get indoctrinated with a tremendous "fear of looking bad".   We can't help it, but it's the last thing we need.

I deal with it by asking myself "Is the voice telling me not to be here because I'm actually in danger, or merely in danger of looking bad?"

You know, I think Shred hit it here.  As a society, Americans have instituted a huge psychological penalty for failure.  "Failure" is all what one makes of it.  It can eat you up, or you can use it as a tool for learning and self-improvement.

Look at the Olympics.  A lot of events there are won as much by statistical fluctations and luck as by differences in actual talent.  (Don't tell me that winning the Grand Slalom by 0.04 seconds is anything more than a fluke.)  

Just getting *to* the Olympics should be treated as a phenomenal success story.  Yet the "winner" is a national hero, and as far as the public and media care, the Silver and Bronze medalists might as well go blow their brains out rather than wear their badges of shame in public.

It's all bullsh*t.  The best competitors probably lost their faire share of races before they started winning, but they kept at, learned from the experienced, and applied the knowledge.  

Try not to worry.  Go and shoot *your* game to the best of your ability, learn from it, and move up.  Nothing else really matters and nothing else will make you a better shooter.  

(Edited by EricW at 2:38 pm on Mar. 10, 2003)

[guru mode on]

I think most/many of us go through this scenario of self-torture occasionally or intermittently. In my case it can haunt me due to the incredible pressure to succeed (and win) in a hurry--not taking into account it may actually take me a year or so to learn how to shoot well. It's also due to the fact that I'm SURROUNDED by mostly "A" and "B+" type shooters and I feel compelled to MEET that level--now, not next year = more pressure. To transcend it one is obliged to develop DETACHMENT. We're also obliged to ENDURE with dignity and professionalism the experience until detachment IS adequately achieved. Detachment = pain relief. Pain relief = energy better used in shooting well rather than fighting pain. "The agony of defeat" is real... but not mandatory or permanent.

Walk THROUGH the painful fog of shooting tension... until the clarity of detachment hits you. The fog does not go on forever. It's a finite veil of delusion.

[/guru mode off]

[place small picture of Budhha here in place of smiley face]

Good posts everyone.

We have to care to improve. But if we care too much we'll fail. That's the paradox we must each resolve (to survive).

Teach yourself to see troublesome activity as a chance to learn and grow.

When we're having any sort of emotional problem, it exists only to show us that whatever opinions and beliefs we are holding on to are false - in that they are not needed. The only way to be free from this mind-disease is to become aware, at an intimate level, that we are indeed creating it. Then, when aware, it stops of its own accord. You must see this for yourself - you can't "believe" it.

As often as possible, train yourself to become aware of the workings of your own mind. Once you become aware of what you are thinking, take a step back from the compulsive, habitual thought machine by interupting it with a simple question - is what I'm thinking actually benefitting me, or is it making me weaker? Or, does what I'm thinking at the moment have any value whatsoever? This brings our thoughts to a conscience level, empowering us with the ability to regain control of our behavior. In this way learn to take control of your own thoughts by letting go of them. We think so much crap that is so unnecessary, it's silly, once we become aware of it.

I've learned that the "wisdom of thinking" resides in two realms:

a) Don't think when thinking is not necessary. (Instead, pay attention to what you are doing, the sounds and sensations you are experiencing.)

B) When you need to think, think objectively. Don't use thoughts to create subjective states and emotions. It's a waste.

Only when you embrace fear will you harness the insight that disolves it. We make it all up.

Stick with it Lilly, and don't take things so seriously.

be

My seven Sheckles....

One of the things I've learned to do, and Saturday was a good example, is when I walk off the line after having just sh*t the bed, once I shake off the adrenaline, I just think about the things I did RIGHT.....I started off the stage good, and I was GOING for my game plan, then the gun started jamming, lost my place, didn't engage a turner, or whatever.....but for every thing that goes  wrong on a stage or at a match, LOTS of things go right.  Over time, when you look back you will soon be noticing that the ratio of right things to wrong things is swinging in your favor.  It just takes time.  Christ, I've been plugging away at this for 13 years now....I've considered quitting for good LOTS of times....but I'm like you....I just love it too much to bag it, and now I feel like I've finally got my head screwed on...and the book is a BIG help.  You can read lots of books, but there are not many places where you got a line right to the author, and many of his students.  I think we're all EXTREMELY fortunate to get to talk regularly with one of the best competitors to ever pop a cap....(kiss kiss )

Thanks to everyone for their kind replies. Everyone has given me something to work on and try when I am at a match. I will try, try again, because I want this to work! It is great to have a forum such as this and people that care enough to try and help. Thanks again.

Quote: Only when you embrace fear will you harness the insight that disolves it. We make it all up.

This is true wisdom. The more you focus on shooting the less the results matter. Good luck!                      Travis F.

Lilly, if you want to control how you feel about anything, make a list of the positives.  The positives in life are all that matter.  Choosing to remember mistakes and unfortunate circumstances only holds us captive to them.  We naturally have this dread of letting go of bad stuff.  We're afraid that if we forget it, it will come back and get us somehow.  The truth is, that 'it' (what ever 'it' is) comes back and gets us everytime we recall the bad experience.  

Make a list of the good things.  Set your mind on them.  Trust that they will happen.   The greatest tragedy in life is not that we die, but that we prevent ourselves from living.   Now get out there and enjoy yourself kid!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! this is some heavy duty stuff.

I perscribe to the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid!) philosphy when learning something new.

When I first started out I found that by telling myself that the results of my shooting where not important, the fate of the free world was not hanging in the balance, I will not be beaten, tortured and hung up in the town square, and it's just not that big of a deal. That perspective had calming effect on me and I could then just shoot little holes in paper targets and have fun!

After some time passed and my skills developed (a little) and my experiences increased, the nervousness became more easily controlled by a few deep breaths prior to stepping to the line coupled with a little concentration or thought on what I was about to do. Kind of quieting the mind, getting tranquil, relaxing, etc.

Just don't forget why we do what we do....... to have fun!

In the last match I joined about 3 weeks ago I had some very negative thoughts about my abilities before I even started my first stage. There was quite some turn-out of shooters including some Philippine Team members. The thought of making a fool in front of these GM's plus the fact that I felt very handicapped with the 1911 SS I was using really made my hands shake. In the first stage, I totally felt that if I did not conciously lock my knees I'd fall to the ground. I took hold of the fear and told myself "The heck with all of this, I'll shoot all the A's I can see." Luckily, things turned out even better than I expected and managed to land in the 8th position (oh, did I mention I was using a 1911 SS? :))

I figured it's always our fears that help us define the path to our objectives. It keeps us from tapping into some "super abilities" most of us think we always have. Instead, it helps us focus on our basic skills, the tried and tested limited abilities that always gets us to those objectives.

You'll do fine. :) Good luck.

Lilly, first off, you are not alone. Probably 99% of the people on this board have gone through this same thing at one time or another and the other 1% lie. ;)

Secondly, you may want to take up meditation. This is NOT a quick fix but it does help. There are any number of great books, some videos and even some audio tapes that can help you out. You can use meditation to clear out your mind of all the little voices and other assorted crapola and focus on what is important. I have used meditation for years. I used it to beat test anxiety in college and went from a C/D student to an A/B student. It really does work! If you want some things to try message me and I will give you some exercises that have helped me over the years.

Once you have a clear mind visualize how you will shoot a stage. Walk through it once or twice for real and come up with a plan on how YOU want to shoot it then visualize how you will shoot it. Don't worry that you don't have the best plan in the world and don't watch the other shooters and modify your plan in mid-stream. Right now it is about shooting through and sticking to YOUR plan. When you shoot, run through on YOUR plan. Don't make it up as you go along. (I know this is easier said than done and I am guilty of screwing it up here too)

When you have finished shooting focus only on the positive aspects and how you shot your plan. Celebrate Alphas and forget Mikes.

If your squad will let you do it, shoot first. Really! :) My best stages ever have come when I shot first and didn't have time to worry about anything. Just come up with a plan, visualize it a few times and shoot it. This happened to me last Sunday and I managed to place 5th on that stage out of 35+ people and I am about a low/mid-C class shooter right now. Then I could relax and pick brass, tape targets and bs with my squadmates. I could also watch how the higher class shooters shot the stage and learn from them. But don't fall into the trap of watching GM Joe shoot and beat on yourself for not shooting it the same way he did. You shot your plan and THAT is what is important for now.

Once you have some confidence find a few folks whose opinions you trust and ask them for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism...and take what they say as just that. Don't beat yourself up.

IPSC is a very complex game. You cannot expect to pick it up immediately. That is the challenge, it is why we chose to do it, and, in reality, what makes it fun.

And finally: Your only real competitor is yourself. Don't compete with the GM/M/A shooters. At least not yet. If you can find someone that is just above your level you may wish to, when you are comfortable, start a friendly rivalry with that person. This will help both of you because you will push each other forward.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Cheers!

Kevin

Lilly, a post script to my earlier post:

I don't (yet) shoot IPSC but rather indoor league static bullseye-type targets in a crowd of 30 people or so per night, competing with about 100 overall. It's fierce. I'm on a budget and haven't been shooting "for years and years", so I'm CONSTANTLY on the ol' steep learning curve and feeling less-than-qualified. My guns and ammo are mostly stock and I have to put up with factory ammo and un-tweaked guns while everyone else is shooting custom-loaded ammo in super-tweaked guns, so I feel handicapped in some ways. I have to, therefore, work a little harder to control the results of my itchy trigger finger. :(

Shooting, as I see it, is a subtle activity, full of nuances and the need for intense mental discipline. The fact that I realized in my first month of shooting that shooting was indeed very like meditation, that was the key to doing justice to this sport. Focus, discipline, detachment, responsibility. Sounds simple... Takes work. It's the way of the warrior. :ph34r:

Ultimately, no one is shooting my blaster but me and I have to take responsibility for where the bullets land, BUT: with a sense of DETACHMENT I can beat the 'buzzer blues' and FOCUS on (in my case) the Center of the Target and NOTHING ELSE. Did a bit of that exercise again in practice today and, holy-moly, I kept seeing holes in the center of the target with groups I could proudly accept! (with a Glock, no less :lol: ).

When we started our .22 league action four weeks ago I just stood there at one point and stared at the center of the target (to the total exclusion of everything else) and said, "...right down the center, baby, right down the center. All center and nothing but the center." I scored surprisingly well on that one and learned something valuable from that moment which I carry with me to this date. And with the 4th and final .22 match happening tomorrow night, I'd better damn' well "focus" on "right down the center, baby" or I'll lose my a**.). Wanting to win involves the emotions. Again, the thrill-of-victory, agony-of-defeat. :rolleyes:

Still, in the final analysis, we must do this trial-by-fire shooting thing professionally, all alone and not show pain. Be practicing and enjoying that practicing. Make every bullet count. No whining. No sniveling. Be a pro. :)

It'll work.

SiG Lady

On second thought, if you don't care for what I'm pointing downrange these days, simply cut me a check for a 1911 and enough ammo to go along with it and perhaps I'll be competitive. Living in Eugene pretty much guarantees I can't find work/suitable income and can't afford what the big dogs have. Sorry. I do the best I can with what I can afford to stuff ammo thru.

I believe that the single most important quality a shooter can possess is determination. Progress is relative. If your progress seems to be bound in iron chains, just keep practicing. Eventually, iron chains rust away. If I am truly doing what I enjoy, time means nothing at all.

So what if it takes twenty five years to reach a goal I set? If I enjoy every minute I invest in the persuit of it, what more could I ask?