Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting matches in the rain

Same here, nothing different. If you are not able to call your shots, and rely on seeing a hole in the target... you may have some trouble, but outside of that just watch your footing as you don't want to be slipping and sliding on wet ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

It should be more instinctive shooting when engaging a bagged target. Go for center mass. It is frustrating not being able to see your shots though. At our local IDPA matches they will put old t-shirts over the targets sometimes.

Some stages that end up with really muddy or deeper spots that collect water could encourage you to negotiate the stage a bit differently and also think about where you drop your mags, but other than that, just aim at the middle of the scoring zone.

I shot 2 stages a the MS Classic a year or 2 back (it was a Friday shoot-thru) with 3+ inches of water standing on the stages. Had to get other folk in the squad to keep an eye on where mags fell so that you could find them after shooting.

Honestly, when it is really raining/wet, the shooting is the easiest part. Maintaining solid footing, keeping stuff as dry as possible, and resetting the stages are the tough stuff.

I shot a 3-gun match that required shooters to run down a hill while it was raining. Had a bunch of people fall. I ended up getting 1st because I took the rain into consideration and slowed down a bit.

Make sure you you keep your gun dry shower caps are cheap and work great!

Oh nice the ol Jerry Miculek trick!
i wasnt aware that was his lol i seen another guy at area 3 using that method and ran out and bought them glad i did area 3 this year was a monsoon match! Lol

also think about where you drop your mags,

The last match I shot in the rain we had several inches of water standing in several bays. Took a technique from the IDPA shooters and retained magazines instead of losing them in the mud.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

During yesterday's practice, it wasn't raining (yet) but one of the guys dropped a magazine in the only place that WAS muddy....

Being able to see can be an issue in wet conditions. A good cap may help with keeping the water away from your glasses.

I don't mind shooting in the rain.  It has never cause me a problem.  Although, I almost never practice in the rain.

Being forced by circumstance to clean and oil the gun afterward does suck.