Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Review-SPS Vista Short 9mm OPEN gun

P.E. Kelley

Cost would be my guess. It takes a ton of cash to import a new model.

Based on my guesses, break even is around 20 guns.

So... like 30 large? That's crazy. Is that ATF/ITAR stuff or what? Because it is hard to even fathom that much money just to import a different caliber of the same model.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... like 30 large? That's crazy. Is that ATF/ITAR stuff or what? Because it is hard to even fathom that much money just to import a different caliber of the same model.

So the retail is $2000 ish on each gun. I would bet they make less than $200 on each gun. It is around $4k based on what I was looking at to do some importing.

So the retail is $2000 ish on each gun. I would bet they make less than $200 on each gun. It is around $4k based on what I was looking at to do some importing.
I've seen them as low as 1700, so I'm guessing they are probably paying closer to 1500 for them. But I see what you are saying, you are talking about the profit break even. I'm with you know.

I've seen them as low as 1700, so I'm guessing they are probably paying closer to 1500 for them. But I see what you are saying, you are talking about the profit break even. I'm with you know.

Yeah, I am looking at what MSRP is, and what eagle has to buy and sell. See being it's a foreign company. Eagle has to get a sample permit $$, and get one gun to send to state dept for their eval, then it has to go on another form to ATF for approval. Then they can apply for an import permit for sales. Long and costly permit process.

So on imported guns mark up has to happen more than on american made guns since the manufacturer SPS makes a profit, the importer Eagle makes a profit, then it goes to distributors that make a profit, and then the dealers.

So when you look at the cost, they have to know.

Now if they knew they would sell a pile, they may be talked into it.

• 1 month later...

I have a new (100 rounds) SPS Pantera in the shop for a trigger upgrade...

found out that the SPS pistols are riding the link for lock up

http://i66.tinypic.com/2814krd.jpg[/IMG]

when you keep the slidestop in the pistol but with the lever hanging down the pistol will allmost not unlock... you need 2 hands to pull the slide back

gr T

On September 8, 2016 at 3:07 AM, stardust tommy said:

I have a new (100 rounds) SPS Pantera in the shop for a trigger upgrade...

found out that the SPS pistols are riding the link for lock up

http://i66.tinypic.com/2814krd.jpg[/IMG]

when you keep the slidestop in the pistol but with the lever hanging down the pistol will allmost not unlock... you need 2 hands to pull the slide back

gr T

Bummer.

Neither of mine have that issue.

10 hours ago, mro111lland said:

Prety sure mine had this isue link wore real fast. Replaced link pin and link after 10000 rounds the factory link was 1 step longer than stock I installed stock link 

after installing a shorter link make sure the barrel stops against the VIS of the frame and doesn't hang on the link.

pull the slidestop out and instal with the lever hanging down so jou can wiggle it...

pull the slide back and push the barrel back against the table and wiggle the slidestop, it schould move free without resistance. if you feel resistance the barrel hangs on the link instead of stopping against the VIS.

sps are good pistols for their price.... a friend of mine had a vista with an out of spec frame (pistol went full auto when the trigger was released and the grip safety came loose). Know he is waithing for months for a new pistol (Europe)

Tom

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 30/06/2016 at 8:26 PM, mro111lland said:

Awsome I have one as well love it after I ditched the mount and went with a 90 degree mount. First one I got had a miss cut chamber. Eagle imports replaced it new one runs great. Yours must have a real fast barrel in at 8.4 grains of hs6 with a 124 to make 170 pf great review backs up everything I have said a bought mine

Hi this is Jim from Canada.

I purchased a SPS vista long in 38 super from US. Not able to get it group at 10 yards. At first I think it is my reload causes problem. After I change powder bullet, oal, crimp, still not able to group at 10 yards. You have mentioned you for a miss cut barrel. May I ask what is wrong with it. I like to make sure it is the gun problem not me, before I send it back to factory.

try campro 124gr HP, they ran good in a few guns for me that didnt work with anything, including jacketed bullets. 
campro has some good stuff in general. 

the nickname we have for SPS isnt really a good one here... :/ 

I do have 124 HP and load them up for a try already. Better, not not solve the problem.

I take the gun apart, and carefully check everything again.

What I find is, with 38 Super, when I load at 0.378 crimp, it will headspace with the rim, but if I push, it will go further into the  barrel (not able to headspace with case mouth).

My 38 Super comp (1.25 OAL and 0.378 crimp) is not able to headspace with the rim or case mouth, and just go in too deep into the barrel.

SO I flare the case mouth more, and crimp at .384. Now it can headspace with the case mouth, and will not go deeper into the barrel.

The extractor extract case no problem, but case is not firmly against BF, so I will increase extractor tension to see if that can help with accuracy.