Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overlay use for scoring

GMB

I looked at over 2600 holes yesterday. An overlay would have been useful for maybe one of them and that one went to the shooter. The only time I would even consider wanting one is in judging hole diameters for bounced shots or for turning or falling targets.

The reason I posed the question is because not all SO's think like those that have posted here. I have seen shooters get more PD when they should have received the 0 or -1. I think that overlays should be allowed.

• 3 weeks later...

If/when you think you need an overlay to score an IDPA target, the benefit of the doubt goes to the shooter.

Done!

I wish more SOs saw it that way. I've had SO look hard at a target and I always think "benefit of the doubt goes to the shooter". Isn't there wording like if you can't tell just by glancing at the target that the shooter gets the benefit of the doubt?

There's all kinds of " wording" in the rulebook. Who knows.

It's a competitive sport where you have winners, losers, and trophies. Nobody's benefit of doubt should matter.

Make a scoring rule and follow it. If the shooter earned the point, they should get it.

I look closer than 3 feet when scoring but it is usually pretty clear to me if the perf has been broken or not. If it is not clear after about 2 seconds of looking close (closer than 3 feet), I give it to the shooter.

I agree I have seen some SO's who always want to call against the shooter. I want to call for the shooter but will try to be as accurate as possible.

Also being an RO for USPSA, I have no desire to add overlays to IDPA.

Was at a major match in June and a shooter called for an overlay on a head shot. I just laughed under my breath, then to my surprise,the SO said oh I got one right here. Then I thought WTH?? and stood there while 5 shooters and 3 SO's discussed it.. Out come was a miss..

Was at a major match in June and a shooter called for an overlay on a head shot. I just laughed under my breath, then to my surprise,the SO said oh I got one right here. Then I thought WTH?? and stood there while 5 shooters and 3 SO's discussed it.. Out come was a miss..

Are you friggin' kidding me?

Once again, follow the rules. Now, if you want my personal philosophy it is, "If this was a no shoot would you want the hit scored how you're asking?"

And finally, the best thing you can take to some IDPA matches is a highlighted copy of the current rule book in your range bag.

Once again, follow the rules. Now, if you want my personal philosophy it is, "If this was a no shoot would you want the hit scored how you're asking?"

And finally, the best thing you can take to some IDPA matches is a highlighted copy of the current rule book in your range bag.

And printed copies of the rules interpretations