Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cancun Vs. Steel Challenge

I've got an all-expense-paid week in Cancun scheduled through Sept. 14. Kayaking, snorkeling, clear/warm water, warm weather, all I can drink, all I can eat, etc.

But the Steel Challenge starts on Sept. 15th. I won't have any time to return to Nevada and practice with ong45. I'll have to head to Piru without any recent practice, just pick up the gun and go for it.

I'm bummed out. Is there something wrong with me?

tough one...ain't nothing wrong with being disappointed about the match prep..but at least you still can go...

practice hard before going to Cancun..then use the time in Cancun to relax your head..

airgun the courses at night or in the morning in the hotel..to keep the muscle memory of the stages...

you know how to shoot...so why stress over all that..

verify everything, load all your ammo..pack you bags..then enjoy the snorkeling and kayaking..

I'm envious.

NO Erik, there is nothing wrong with you. At first it appears like there is a time conflict. I assure you, there is not. You know how long it has taken you to get to your current level of ability, right? Do you really think that a couple more days of practice before the match is going to improve your ability one iota? (0f course not) What you need to do to have a good match is just: go out and shoot.

If you worry about how well you will finish in the match, you will not be present as you shoot the match, therefore your match performance will suck.

Go to Cancun, practice paying attention to everything there, the sights, the sounds, all the inputs. Be totally present in Cancun. Then come back to the match and do the same thing you did in Cancun. B)

Erik -

I have had this dilemna several times before - and I have always performed better when taking the vacation. If you take the vacation, you will head into the match without any expectaions on yourself, trusting your muscle memory to do the same things you have done 1000's of times and you will find it is easier (at least I did) to be patient and let your eyes dictate the shooting.

If you miss the trip, not only will you in some way be dissapointed, you will put trememdous pressure to perform well, since in the back of your mind you will be thinking -

I skipped Cancun for this match, I have to do well.

Go for the trip and have fun, then have fun at the match.

Zach

Erik,

Man I feel for you! Tell you what. I'll take the vacation for you so you can practice for the SC. I hate to miss all that practice before the SC, but, realisticly, I probably won't win until next year anyway so I see no reason to not pitch in and help you out.

Dale

Lots of folks got problems. Maybe you have a few yourself. This is not one of them. Go to mexico. Go to Piru. Have fun both places. If you have to worry about it, worry after you get back.-----Larry

You should go and enjoy! If you don't go, and if for any reason you don't do good at the SC match, you'll kill yourself for shooting bad and not going. If you do go (no regrets there for sure) and shoot well at the match... hey man, you just made your year! Just practice before you leave.

Sh*t! I wish I had your problems. Start now. Get your steel loads in order if they aren't already. Practice in August and go on vacation knowing that you have all of your ammo and gun affairs in order. Party your ass off and then take the last day of vaction to sober up before you come back.

Erik,

Would you like to be (in your own words) a second rate master at the Steel Challenge, or a second rate master who's just spent a relaxing week in Cancun? :) :-)

Unless you'll be worrying about not having practiced enough, go to Cancun.....

It's hurricane season. I'm going to hope one hits half way thru so I can go home and practice. :)

I'm just not wired for a week of beach lounging. I gotta do something.

Hop a boat for Cozumel or go down the coast to the cenotes and get some diving in. You can practice indexing on parrotfish and speculate on how awesome a range Chichen Itza would make.