Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt is driving me nuts

I am having an issue with my Production rig that I did not have with my L10 equipment. L10 had overlap in the rear with the retaining loop attached in the back as well. My Production rig has the belt overlap in the front since I can't have mags that far forward. My retaining loop is in the front as well.

The problem I am having is that every time I bend down to pick something up (brass, Magazine, dropped round, etc) the inner belt separates from the outer belt at the back. The side stay attached, but I am losing a huge portion of my attachment in the rear of the belt. Both of my rigs are Double Alpha belts so quality is not an issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Can't figure out why this would happen and how to stop it short of using a second loop to keep the velcro from separating.

I also glue Velcro to the back of the magazine holders. It makes a big difference and the belt stays stuck all the way around - even with five holders in a row

18bdbc86563e496a11ec00a05ae8bf7b.jpg

Sent by Jedi mind control

Edited by CZinZA

What pouches are you using? Quite a few of us will add velcro to the back of the pouch as well to mitigate this. Are you sure you are overlaying the two belts right on top of each other?

I also glue Velcro to the back of the magazine holders. It makes a big difference and the belt stays stuck all the way around - even with five holders in a row

I added one piece of velcro tape to the middle mag pouch when I first started shooting Production. My separation is happening in the middle of my back rather than the side. I end up with my inner belt an inch lower than the outer belt and barely attached.

It's seems most guys use more than one keeper. I haven't bought extra yet so just use the one. I always wrap my belt so the overlap is in the back, ends up w less bulk in front. I also find it makes alignment w my hip bones easier. Once I had the distance between holster and pouches figured out I always align my holster first then wrap everything around real tight. Sometimes the sides will loosen a bit I just squeeze em back together. The back stays out and front seems to too. (Probably my gut keeps enough pressure on it)

Red

From what you are describing I usually see on people that don't tighten the inner belt very well. Really cinch down on the inner then tightly overlay the outer and see if that helps. If not shooters has them for $5 or safariland has a 4 pack for $13.

From someone who wears a system like this almost daily, I suggest getting some type of belt keepers. You don't need many with the Velcro inner belt. I have the same problem and wear two spaced evenly on the back, and next to longer runs of pouches, but I'm going to steal the Velcro on pouches idea.

From what you are describing I usually see on people that don't tighten the inner belt very well. Really cinch down on the inner then tightly overlay the outer and see if that helps. If not shooters has them for $5 or safariland has a 4 pack for $13.

I guess the good news is that I have two rigs for my two guns I use so I'll just steal the keeper from my L10 belt and give it a shot this Sunday. Maybe I'll add a couple more pcs of velcro tape to the outer mag pouches as well.

• 1 month later...

Why not run your new rig backwards as well? It blows my mind why everyone wouldn't do this. FIrst, you don't have to guess, wrap, readjust over and over again to get the belt lined up, and second, you can guide, with your fingers, the outter belt into complete alignment with the inner belt as you fasten it from the front. I use a marker line to reference my belly button (you can use a paint pen or similar if you have a black belt), put it dead center, then wrap around. I'd guess the rear of your belt isn't 100% square with the inner belt, only giving you partial contact with the velcro.

Why not run your new rig backwards as well? It blows my mind why everyone wouldn't do this. FIrst, you don't have to guess, wrap, readjust over and over again to get the belt lined up, and second, you can guide, with your fingers, the outter belt into complete alignment with the inner belt as you fasten it from the front. I use a marker line to reference my belly button (you can use a paint pen or similar if you have a black belt), put it dead center, then wrap around. I'd guess the rear of your belt isn't 100% square with the inner belt, only giving you partial contact with the velcro.

Solved the problem by adding some more velcro tape to my mag pouches and one piece to the holster. I am also running a second velcro strap at the rear of my belt. I put my belt on by lining up my first mag pouch with where my hip bone is (production rig) so alignment isn't an issue. Behind the back sucks because my shoulders are terrible and trying to reach behind my back really hurts...seriously hurts.

Edited by pointerman1967

Solved the problem by adding some more velcro tape to my mag pouches and one piece to the holster. I am also running a second velcro strap at the rear of my belt. I put my belt on by lining up my first mag pouch with where my hip bone is (production rig) so alignment isn't an issue. Behind the back sucks because my shoulders are terrible and trying to reach behind my back really hurts...seriously hurts.

Glad you got it squared away! Equipment problems are no bueno and no fun!

• 3 weeks later...
On May 25, 2016 at 0:01 PM, CZinZA said:

What type of glue are you using on the Valcro?

On July 23, 2016 at 4:31 PM, dynamicalflinch said:

Keep in mind typically we run belts backwards only in the divisions that don't dictate gear placement so we can run mags up front.

the restricted divisions need all the space they can get in back sometimes so front overlap is the way to go

18 hours ago, Schultztec said:

What type of glue are you using on the Valcro?

Not my pic, but I purchased some pre-cut velcro strips from my local OSH.  They may have been the command strips brand, but I can do two pouches from each strip of velcro once I cut them in half.  You just peel the backing and it already has adhesive.

U used some leftover 2" adhesive backed velcro I got from Hope Depot ask for it it isn't where the command strips etc. are  it is a white box (that says VELCRO oddly enough) HOLDS 10 Lbs.  

it was left over from the 2" x8-10" straps I made for my safe to hang things on the carpeted door ( carpet is Gray indoor outdoor kind,also bought from HD) just stuck the hook to the loop adhesive sides together holds everything from knives to blasters   
 also velcroed a Hygrometer from an old cigar humidor to the door to keep an eye on humidity