Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much, and what type of ammo for an event?

I would ask your match director about round count. Then I would bring at least double. It's going to be hard for anyone here to give you a hard number of what ammo since it varies widely depending on stage set up and how many stages there are etc. Bring slugs and shot for the shotgun and whatever you are practicing/zeroing for with your pistol/rifle.

Can you have too much ammo?

Yes, if you are talking 45 ACP and you have to carry it from stage to stage for 2 days...

But you don't. Unless...you wife has been driving your car/truck ??? (does she do more than mowers?)

I would ask the round count, then take that, plus 1/2 of it again...1.5 times the round count...Chances are, you won't have to re-shoot a stage, and even if all the stage round counts were 32 with 10 with stages (320 rounds for the match for instance in pistol), and you have 10 make up shots per stage (42 rounds per stage), you have only shot 420 rounds out of 480, round up to 500 because of the ammo boxes...You still have enough for 2 complete stage re-shoots. If you have more than 2 stage re-shoots, something has gone terribly wrong with the match.

Can you have too much ammo?

Yes, if you are talking 45 ACP and you have to carry it from stage to stage for 2 days...

But you don't. Unless...you wife has been driving your car/truck ??? (does she do more than mowers?)

Yes, she does...but not my truck...

How often can you go to your car at that range? I always bring too much but leave some in the car or cart. Local club you shoot the target as much as you want, but there is par time and failure to engage issues. Have fun!

• 5 weeks later...

Shot steel last night. The ammo "full box" was only 84 not 100, and the "more than half" box was 48. 4 stages, 5 targets/stage, 5 strings / stage = 100. Only 32 for misses. So one miss per string and there is plenty, right? So, first stage, first string I miss three times.

Sigh. Really had to bear down. Last stage mags were loaded 8 and 9 rounds. And a nerve wracking night ended with 12 rounds remainingm

I typically bring double. I was shooting a 32 round uspsa stage and had the last plate on the Texas star not fall when hit. I had to reshoot the stage and thankfully had enough spare ammo.

I sometimes bring double what I need but it's usually more like 1.5x. I was glad I had plenty when I decided to participate in a recent post-match shoot-off.

Sometimes guys want to stay after they've completed their stages and practice when the match director gives the green light to use the existing match setups for practice. A couple times I had to bow out because I was low on ammo. Just an extra 100 rounds and I could have had a good practice session.

I bring double and have a spare 100 round box squirreled away in the spare tire well just in case. (I also have a note on my computer to remember to check the whole care before going to Canada.

Double is a lot for uspsa or idpa I think but it's never a bad thing to have too much. I usually plan on 1.5. I figure that gives me plenty for makes ups and a couple re shoots if needed. Shooting steel challenge is another story. Double is a good plan for that. Plus there's always that guy that didnt bring enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Last steel shoot i goofed and one box was 1/2 full. Was rationing and really concentrated on not missing.

Come to think of it... not a bad thing. But nerve wracking. Bringing loads tomorrow! But will still try an hit slower vs miss faster.