Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

front pistol grip on AR or no.

because military guys carry their guns way more than they shoot them. we shoot our guns for hopefully under a minute and then put them in a stroller. forgrips make a gun more comfortable to hold, since it puts your wrist in a more natural position if you're standing or walking. but it's awkward to shoot.

Try it and if you like it, go for it. I'd be happy to sell you one of mine, since I had the same thought process and now don't use them.

The one advantage I notice from the vertical foregrip on my AUG is a rock solid low prone shooting position. When I monopod it on the magazine, I can get a second ground contact point by putting my fist on the ground and holding the foregrip with a couple of fingers.

I don't always hold my rifle's forearm the same - it depends on the situation - perhaps just a bad habit. But I have Magpul's angle grip fairly close for certain situations. Then i reach further out and grab the fore end, like most do, for other situations. The angle grip is likely just a habit for defensive, CQB kind of stuff, as I like the control - perceived or otherwise. It's doesn't get in my way - quite the opposite. :cheers:

I've spent nearly a decade as an Infantryman, and I don't use or like them.

For CQB they can be useful to help you hold on to your rifle if someone tries to grab it I suppose. Figure out what works for you and train with it. I saw far more verticals grips on rifles carried by support personnel (usually the ridiculous pop out bipod grip).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't most, if not all, M4s run with a carbine length gas system? Since they're also using a carbine length hand guard, your average boot on the ground isn't going to be sticking his arm out to the end of a 15" rail, so this may be a way to drive the gun between targets versus what we do in 3-gun.

• 2 weeks later...

They tend to just get in the way on a 3-gun rifle. They make sense on an M4 because with all the lights and lasers on limited rail space it is about the only option to get your thumb in the right place to activate a weapon light.

The trend towards slim, whole barrel enshrouding handguards in 3-gun has happened for a reason. I guess if the ergonomics just really fit you well you could make the case for a vertical grip but most guys are going slick or with just a simple small handstop somewhere.

Tons of people were using them for a long time, I still do. A lot of matches started bumping people to open if they used the forward grip or even a hand stop against a barricade to give them support. So guys started taking them off, just in case. I run one on my Open rifle, and have run one the entire time I have shot 3gun. I use it more like a hand stop than actually holding it though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tried a forward pistol grip on a little shorter rifle that had a rail on bottom. I found that I was more stable without the pistol grip, and as many others have stated, it can get in the way with barricades and dump boxes. I use a long handguard to get a longer grip, and wrap my hand around it for a very firm and steady grip.