Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does one clean newly reloaded rounds?

IGOTGLOCKED

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I should have posted it here but I created another post regarding tumbling reloaded rounds to clean... However I think this is important enough to post again here.

I use Titegroup consequently I contacted Hogdon. They said the vibration of tumbling WILL change the shape of the powder which WILL change the burn rate and pressure...

IGG

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

I think they are trying to be extra cautious. Just look at what the ammo and powder experience on their way from the plant to you, how many times they are subjected to different shocks and vibration.

For instance, we had screws loosen up in our products on FedEx flights. So their response makes good business sense.

Perhaps I should have posted it here but I created another post regarding tumbling reloaded rounds to clean... However I think this is important enough to post again here.

I use Titegroup consequently I contacted Hogdon. They said the vibration of tumbling WILL change the shape of the powder which WILL change the burn rate and pressure...

IGG

Take 20 of your loaded rounds, take 10 of them (which you haven't tumbled) and 10 of them (after tumbling for a few hours) and shoot them over a chrono and get back to us with the results.

IGG

Take 20 of your loaded rounds, take 10 of them (which you haven't tumbled) and 10 of them (after tumbling for a few hours) and shoot them over a chrono and get back to us with the results.

Although I suspect that could support tumbling reloads I don't have the resources to do so. I'm having to rely on research for now ut thanks for the suggestion. And one could also question how sophisticated an over the counter chrono is as compared to instrumentation ballistics experts would use..?

IGG

Although I suspect that could support tumbling reloads I don't have the resources to do so. I'm having to rely on research for now ut thanks for the suggestion. And one could also question how sophisticated an over the counter chrono is as compared to instrumentation ballistics experts would use..?

I have done what I suggested with a few different powders in a few 9mm loads and saw no statistical difference between tumbled and non-tumbled rounds. My two "over the counter chronos" are more than accurate for my loads and I can't think of a single application where I would need more accurate chronographs.

I also took some rounds and tumbled them for 24 hours and disassembled them. Under 10x magnification, I could not discern any difference in the shape or size of the grains of powder compared to non-tumbled powder.

I dont lube rifle cases with OneShot, I use lanolin, and they get tumbled post sizing and trimming.

Agreed. But, as much as I loved OS, I switched to home made lanolin based lube because it works so much better. The only problem with it is the amount of residue left on loaded rounds. And it doesn't take much, so very little is used.

Sarge

I've been looking for the 98%+ alcohol to make the lanolin lube with and the only thing I found was a chemical supply place at about $30/gallon plus hazmat and shipping. All advice and help appreciated as Dillon lube gets expensive loading several thousand rifle and pistol rounds.

I dont lube rifle cases with OneShot, I use lanolin, and they get tumbled post sizing and trimming.

Agreed. But, as much as I loved OS, I switched to home made lanolin based lube because it works so much better. The only problem with it is the amount of residue left on loaded rounds. And it doesn't take much, so very little is used.

Sarge

I've been looking for the 98%+ alcohol to make the lanolin lube with and the only thing I found was a chemical supply place at about $30/gallon plus hazmat and shipping. All advice and help appreciated as Dillon lube gets expensive loading several thousand rifle and pistol rounds.

Amazon is your friend when it comes to this kind of stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99%25-Pint/dp/B001B5JT8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467289046&sr=8-1&keywords=98+isopropyl+alcohol

You can also ask at your local Wal-Green or similar. It is sometimes behind the counter.

Seems like I found mine at WalMart or WallGreen.

• 2 weeks later...

IGG

I have done what I suggested with a few different powders in a few 9mm loads and saw no statistical difference between tumbled and non-tumbled rounds. My two "over the counter chronos" are more than accurate for my loads and I can't think of a single application where I would need more accurate chronographs.

I also took some rounds and tumbled them for 24 hours and disassembled them. Under 10x magnification, I could not discern any difference in the shape or size of the grains of powder compared to non-tumbled powder.

Thx RDA! Seems like a pretty thouough testing to me. Really appreciate the feedback, might give it a go!

Cheers!

How well are crimped loads sealed against moisture? If I were to use mineral spirits on a towel how careful do I have to be to not saturate the towel too much?

???

No problem as long as you don't soak them in anything. If you are not convinced you could use rubbing alcohol and it will evaporate quickly.

Sarge

Amazon is your friend when it comes to this kind of stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99%25-Pint/dp/B001B5JT8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467289046&sr=8-1&keywords=98+isopropyl+alcohol

You can also ask at your local Wal-Green or similar. It is sometimes behind the counter.

Seems like I found mine at WalMart or WallGreen.

Not sure how I missed this. I used Amazon for the alcohol and the lanolin. I did what everybody said and asked for 99% at every major chain and they looked at me like I was crazy. Amazon had it on my door next day since I live near a hub

What percentage is the alcohol they sell at Home Depot and Lowe's in the paint department? I don't recall seeing it on the can, but it's can be bought locally...I have been using it with the lanolin....I screwed up though...put too much lanolin in it...it will separate...but it's an easy fix...just sit the bottle in the sun or a tub of hot water for 20 minutes ( or leave in the garage in Florida) and shake once before use...winter time, the hot water is a must...

What percentage is the alcohol they sell at Home Depot and Lowe's in the paint department? I don't recall seeing it on the can, but it's can be bought locally...I have been using it with the lanolin....I screwed up though...put too much lanolin in it...it will separate...but it's an easy fix...just sit the bottle in the sun or a tub of hot water for 20 minutes ( or leave in the garage in Florida) and shake once before use...winter time, the hot water is a must...

Run of the mill alcohol is 70%. That's 30% water in other words so it doesn't evaporate as cleanly.

Run of the mill alcohol is 70%. That's 30% water in other words so it doesn't evaporate as cleanly.

I use the Klean Strip alcohol from HD...from their website...

How much alcohol is in Klean-Strip® Denatured Alcohol?

Klean-Strip® Denatured Alcohol has between 40 – 50% ethanol and 50 – 55% methanol.

Klean-Strip® Denatured Alcohol has between 40 50% ethanol and 50 55% methanol.

Oh, not familiar with the product. I was thinking standard isopropyl alcohol. Sorry buddy

Klean-Strip® Denatured Alcohol has between 40 50% ethanol and 50 55% methanol.

Oh, not familiar with the product. I was thinking standard isopropyl alcohol. Sorry buddy
No worries....except for the methanol part...I wonder if it has any adverse effects on brass? I haven't noticed any, and I have been using it for a year or so...anybody know for sure?

BTW, HD shows a quart of the Klean-strip at about $8...which should last about 20 years!

• 1 month later...

Ok, so what I have been experimenting with now to clean rounds after reloading is green (ecologically friendly) low odor mineral spirits. It actually looks like milk. I have used it for a couple of thousand now and it works great! I pour very little, (an ounce?) in the bottom of a stainless steel bowl put a in 150-200? rounds mix them around with my hands (with nitrile rubber gloves on) for maybe 30/40 seconds then spread them around on an old bath towel, cover them with another old bath towel, roll them around and dry them. They end up clean, my hands do not get dirty, and the rounds are very shiny and really look great. Many of the guys at the matches have asked how I get them so clean and shiny. 

Oh by the way I found it at Lowes, $10 for a gallon - such a deal!

Does anyone see any issue with this..?

Cheers!