Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing guns from STI to Glock

Trpjacks63

I have a glock 34 that I REALLY like. I also started with 1911 platforms in competition. I have found that since I also carry a glock daily (19 and 42 off duty) the transition was easy. I have also found that my times with the glock are better overall than now with the 1911 as I am used to it. That said, if you go to a 34, you will either have to shoot lim minor, or production.

I love Glocks and also think I shoot my 35 better than my STI but I'll never forget when my 35's trigger wouldn't reset on it's own and had to switch to my STI as a backup at a major. Is there a reason you want to shoot the 34 over something like a 35?

Jon

Edited by Jmob50

Not enough info.

Do you reload? Are you set up for 9mm? Or only. 40?

What division do you currently shoot?

Do you like mag reloads during a stage?

What service gun do you shoot?

Do you want to try carry optics?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I recently have considered switching from STI .40 to a Glock 34, 9mm. I am LEO and carry a Glock daily. After shooting STI in limited and 3-gun, I've decided to change to practice shooting same brand. Any advice on which Glock you prefer?

I tried a G35 and just didn't like it for Limited. I'd say that all Glocks are similar enough, so I'd probably just go with a G34 and shoot production.

I run a 35 tricked out by Zev in limited. It's runs great and is accurate with the KKM barrel. I bought it because I wanted reliability and for that purpose the pistol has really delivered. I think for your stated purpose, running what you carry on duty, you have a lot of options, limited, production, CO, even open if you want.

I run a G17 and G19 for work. Currently I'm running a modified G35 in limited. My duty 9mm is +P and runs right around 160pf so there is not that much difference between my major 40 and my +p duty ammo. I've gone from getting about 90% on quals to being disappointed if I don't get 100% as fast as I can shoot every time. I like playing the sport and still learning good gun handling skills for work at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I too went from custom STI's back to Glocks. I shoot just about as well with either. I like the G35 for Limited, but if your duty gun is a G22 or G17, just go with one of those and shoot the appropriate division.

I switch back and forth between metal guns (1911, CZ) and Glocks (for various match types). I have a G17 Gen 3 RTF2 grip (love that grip). I bought a used G34 Gen 3 so I can run the upper on the lower with RTF2 grip. I also have a Gen 4 G34. I don't like grip tape and the RTF2 grip works great for me. I do not like the Gen 3 regular grip (too smooth for competition for me). Good luck!

• 1 month later...