Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue-taping The Non-dominant Eye

eric nielsen

Yea I did the test and it appears I'm left eye dominant. But I can tape either eye and get the same results as far as shooting.I just figure if your right handed you might as well use your right eye (if your going to tape).

Whatever works best for you is the right way to do it. ;)

Brian and All;

I'm cross-dominant and shoot everything right handed. For long guns I've been using scotch tape over the dominant eye to make the non-dominant right eye take over. Seems to work pretty well for me.

The question is would it be worth trying to tape the non-dominant eye for handgun shooting specifically USPSA shooting? Or should I try taping the left and letting the non-dominant eye take over as I do in long guns.

I would say:

Whatever works best for you is the right way to do it. ;)

I never stopped experimenting. Especially as my vision changed over the years/got to be an ol fart.

be

Gave taping a try at the match yesterday. Three of the five stages had tight or long shots where you really had to use the bumps on the top of the slide. Add in hardcover and/or no-shoots and I normally crash and burn on these stages.

Right handed and left dominate. Taped the left eye as thats what I do for long guns and my vision is slightly sharper in my right eye. Made all the difference. Sights were clear and targets clearer than 20/40 should allow. No one-eyed Popeye shooting for me again.

Gave the tape a try on the classifier which was 06-03 Can You Count. Not a good idea. The tape got in the way on reach out and touch distance targets. Didn't do bad on the stage but I could do without the distraction.

The last stage was a field course with short to moderate range targets with light use of hardcover and no-shoots. Went without the tape and did just fine.

Experiment in progress but I think I've found something that works. Thanks all.

I've just recently started taping, and while I can see the advantage in working my way through a stage, I've found that my draw time has slowed from 1.4 to 1.7, due to the extra time it takes for my eyes to accept that I really am seeing the sights clearly with both eyes open. Occasionally, moving certain directions, I find that I still have to close my left eye for just a second to force the focus back to the right eye and front sight.

Are these problems that will go away with more practice, or am I doing it wrong?

I tried during my next match and couldn't tell if it helped or not. During my next practice session I tried shooting without the tape and found out that I really liked the tape on there. I am going to keep taping for now and just keep practicing.

I've just recently started taping, and while I can see the advantage in working my way through a stage, I've found that my draw time has slowed from 1.4 to 1.7, due to the extra time it takes for my eyes to accept that I really am seeing the sights clearly with both eyes open. Occasionally, moving certain directions, I find that I still have to close my left eye for just a second to force the focus back to the right eye and front sight.

Are these problems that will go away with more practice, or am I doing it wrong?

I would bet they will go away by just paying attention while you are practicing.

be

Does anyone tape shooting open? I shot a friends open today without a taped lens( I tape for iron sights) but did not get a chance to shoot it with tape.

No need to tape with the dot. You are focusing both eyes at the target and not the dot, so double vision is a non-issue. At least that is my experience.

Edited by baerburtchell

Does taping really make such a big difference? I am cross eye dominant, too, and shoot iron sights with both eyes open. Just like in situations off the range, I don't even notice that I am using the left eye. For me personally, the only time I have a shifting focus problem, is usually a classifier with a stapled-together line up of paper targets. Very rarely do I shoot a stage in which a port is so narrow that my right eye picks up the sights and I have to deliberately shift the focus back. If I have to shoot a classifier that looks "dangerous", a piece of brown tape, in abundance at matches, on my glasses, does it. It's like shooting one-eyed. I've tried shooting whole matches with tape on the lense - I thought it felt a little strange. Just my $0.02.

Does anyone tape shooting open? I shot a friends open today without a taped lens( I tape for iron sights) but did not get a chance to shoot it with tape.

No need to tape with the dot. You are focusing both eyes at the target and not the dot, so double vision is a non-issue. At least that is my experience.

Actually a lot of cross dominant shooters can't shoot a red do with both eyes open. It depends largely on the strength of the person's eye dominance.

be

I am so cross-eyed the dot (granted the 5-7 times I have shot with one) shows up as two. I have shot with a fovial vision barrier for a few years with good results.

• 4 months later...

i started a thread about vision issues and this idea was brought up to me. i had put clearish scotch tape, about 1/2" long on the left lense of my glasses and been dryfiring with them lately. seems to help me out quite a bit! my eyes are adjusting to having it there and i can still see around them fairly well. cant wait to actually get some "real" trigger time with it and see how i do.

Actually a lot of cross dominant shooters can't shoot a red do with both eyes open. It depends largely on the strength of the person's eye dominance.

be

Interesting point Brian. My right eye has (relatively) better vision than my left which is my dominant eye/hand. I was having trouble with the dot using both eyes and decided to tape my left which is what I do with irons. This works much better. Ignoring what my results were I tried going back to using both eyes multiple times thinking I was "doing it wrong" or needed more practice. Nope. I definitely shoot better with my left eye taped.

Now if I could just break myself of canting my head to the left so my right eye lines up with my natural index I can quit looking like Quasimoto running around the stage. :rolleyes:

be

Interesting point Brian. My right eye has (relatively) better vision than my left which is my dominant eye/hand. I was having trouble with the dot using both eyes and decided to tape my left which is what I do with irons. This works much better. Ignoring what my results were I tried going back to using both eyes multiple times thinking I was "doing it wrong" or needed more practice. Nope. I definitely shoot better with my left eye taped.

Yes, often theories clash with reality.

be

I am cross eye dominant and shoot iron sight pistols right handed left eye with scotch tape on the right glasses lens. Target rifles scoped I use a left eye blinder nothing on my glasses. Mostly just a collar with a flap slipped over the scopes eyepiece. Iron sight target rifles with peeps same thing except stuck on the side of the sight with a magnet.

Shot guns or hunting have to use Scotch tape on the left eyeglass lens. Not as much as in a match and run it a bit higher so it's easy to use both eyes under the tape when not taking a sight picture.

It's a real PITA getting old, I always had better than average eyesight and lots of my shooting was dependent on it. Now with pistols have to pay real attention to the fundamentals of grip and trigger control. If I knew then what I know now.

Boats

• 1 month later...

I am going to have to tape some glasses and try this. It is certainly less expensive than going to Open! It was amazing to me how quickly my focal ability went in the past two years. Fiber optic front helped a lot but the time it takes me to refocus is killing me.

Just a trivia point, but watching the Olympic Biathlon event on TV today, I don't think there was a single shooter who WASN'T blocking the view of their non-shooting eye. They all used some variation of a big flap, attached to the side of the rear peep sight.

Since it's legal in their sport, that probably beats putting a vision barrier on their glasses. They have to get up & ski too.

Surprised how that event has so many parallels to ipsc. If you get a chance, watch it or TiVo it.