Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard as steel wolf primers

johnbu

Bought some wolf small pistol primers when my S&B ran out. Test run fired fine. Ran a big batch for spring training (2600), nothing but click.

Increased hammer spring from 13# to eventually 22# to get reliable ignition. The gun with 13# fired off thousands of SB primers, heck even Winchester white box, and various loads from walmart. Including tula and wolf!

This is what a 22# spring light strike looks like. On SB primers the hit are deeper and wider with the 13# hammer spring.

20160307_144554_zpsag3kv8ey.jpg

I'm thinking they put rifle primers in the box.

Anyone else have issues with wolf primers?

For the curious, the gun is a tanfoglio stock 2 with all the goodies. And for those in the know, I removed the firing pin safety block completely when trying a14# spring. Also tried, 15,16,17,18 with improving results, but didn't get reliable until 22#. Factory spring is 16#.

I use Tula primers, made in same factory as Wolf, but I hand prime and every one is seated as deeply as possible. Never had a misfire in thousands of rounds. I'm shooting them in 1911s, all with 17lb main springs.

I agree, they don't look seated all the way, although fired cases will usually have the face of the primer flush with base of case. Were these fired or are they ones that did not ignite the charge ???

I seated the primers on a single station because of troubles with them on the progressive. Flipped and crushed, missed, etc.

They are about 7-8 thousandth deep, but I'll see about a picture at an angle to show you.

I use Tula primers, made in same factory as Wolf, but I hand prime and every one is seated as deeply as possible. Never had a misfire in thousands of rounds. I'm shooting them in 1911s, all with 17lb main springs.

I agree, they don't look seated all the way, although fired cases will usually have the face of the primer flush with base of case. Were these fired or are they ones that did not ignite the charge ???

These are struck and not fired

Phone cam pics

20160307_164501_zpszstje9is.jpg

Some of the brass was crimped and the primer pocket chamfered. You can see the chamfered edge and the top of the primer is 7-8 thousandth lower.

20160307_164526_zpsmrg89xzk.jpg

Maybe hard to see, but the primers are deeply seated.

Oh, the ones unstruck look identical, they are definitely not being seated deeper by the firing pin. The "duds" won't go off even with repeated hammerings.

Edited by johnbu

My TruBor ignites them, my BHP doesn't. :ph34r:

Yeah, that's about it. They either will or won't. I do have more S&B spp ordered.

On the bright side, the extra hard DA trigger is forcing the correct form. And the "clicks" have been like hiding random snap caps in every single mag.

I'm just gonna "suck it up" and run these untill they are gone then use the s&b primers. I'm not fast enough to be hampered by them. Did some draws and controlled pairs to get the feel for the super hard da/sa transition. Da went from 6#8oz to over 13# and I think waaay over. Oh well

I seated the primers on a single station because of troubles with them on the progressive. Flipped and crushed, missed, etc.

They are about 7-8 thousandth deep, but I'll see about a picture at an angle to show you.

So I had the same issue and kept seating them deeper.

So I backed off the seating until the primer was flush with the bottom of the case.. Now they work ..

Someone told me that the Tula primers are made for European cases which have shallower primer pockets..

I was just shocked they still have guns in Europe.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So I backed off the seating until the primer was flush with the bottom of the case.. Now they work ..

Someone told me that the Tula primers are made for European cases which have shallower primer pockets..

Ill try seating shallower and see

If this is true, then an extended firing pin may solve the problem. If the primers are actually shorter than standard American primers, the firing pin may not be long enough to set them off when they are fully seated.

Which would also explain why the people shooting 1911/2011 guns that probably have extended firing pins don't have issues. I'm interested to see what happens.

Gun has an extended firing pin already.

Shot about 400 rounds with the heavy hammer spring and 14.5# da pull! Still had about 3-4% failures even with repeatedly da and sa hits. Like a couple dozen on some making a massive dimple. Pulling those, they look normal,but....obviously something is wonky.